It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 07:02

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Flags of Our Fathers (2006) HD-DVD
PostPosted: 01 Mar 2016, 13:53 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Flags of Our Fathers (2006)
Dolby Stereo TrueHD with PLIIx / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional

No picture detail on this on LDDB yet
Flags of Our Fathers [Z1 Y14088]

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418689/

Span the HD-DVD last night after a nice conversation with one of the sound editors who worked on the film Charles Maynes, that I should run the film and more less commenting on what I was listening too as I'm big avid listener of film soundtracks. He was very helpful to pointing out the weapon sounds and some of familiar ones that I heard in Saving Private Ryan "M1 Garand enbloc ejecting ping" that I seem to like the tone of the rifle and when the magazine is empty hear that PING!

M1 Garand enbloc ejecting ping
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a23BqBqq93Y

Conflagrations and Claustrophobia
SOUND FOR CLINT EASTWOOD'S STIRRING IWO JIMA DIPTYCH - See more at: http://www.mixonline.com/news/films-tv/ ... oJvRO.dpuf
http://www.mixonline.com/news/films-tv/ ... bia/369159

There was a familiar sound explosion sound effect in above scene capture Luke Skywalker lightsaber sound/fx of cutting into the At-At walker well just quick fast sound of it and its been used in other films also Lucasfilm or Indiana Jones 4 where the Hangar 18 door opens with an explosion on the door mechanism panel.

I was surprised to see or notice first this has some low end frequency! Then checked on spectrum lab and some scenes was showing about a near 15Hz. Played film at about -10db last night and would give it another spin on the sound coolest scenes again at 0db "7".

Picture detail was as it was and Charles commented that it was same as Kodak negative when seen at the dubbing stage. I couldn't see any edge enhancement to visual distract me though the 2hs 15mins.

The music by Clint Eastwood, conducted by Lennie Niehaus the end credits I played at least 4 times as the tone of the score had chilling haunting theme to it to show war is ugly grim business.

Give Flags a 7.5 rating.

Letters from Iwo Jima (2006) was recommended to me by Charles, that I brought new sealed £2.49 there was others opened/used for £1.00 but thought not worth the risk since some HD-DVD I had cam be tricky with odd awkward scratch marks that ether jumps or freezes the disc into pixels, so preferred new.

Post subject: Re: Flags of Our Fathers (2006) HD-DVD
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2016, 03:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good morning Friend,

Good to view your thorough reviews once again Sir,

Both movies mentioned reviewed under the directorship of Clint Eastwood are real gems, the hard facts and realities of war.

The gritty filtered screen image adds to the realism, the material is not something that I would watch occasionally and only on rare occasions I have both of these I think on HD DVD, its been a long time since they both had an airing so please forgive myself not being sure of which format.

To appreciate these movies one must be in the right frame of mind, and I mean that with the utmost respect here.

I hope your recovery health wise has been steady and true for you.

Kindest Regards and thank you

:wave: :wave:

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]