It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:32

Page 1 of 2 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: STAR TREK first season
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2012, 03:37 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I saw a bargain sale of near good condition for £29.99 while others where priced up higher.

This is how it looks on the eBay sale

It should be a week or so before it beams over.

Post subject: Re: STAR TREK first season
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2012, 07:25 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

looks like a deal

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2013, 12:10 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

STAR TREK Dolby TrueHD beamed in this morning and Dolby TrueHD has lowed my bipolar stress level. :thumbup:

Its the one with new GCI effects inserted into the original show for enhancement.

The Dolby re-mix from the earlier region 2 DVD set I have is close to this HD-DVD set, expect for tiny small extract sounds re-mixed into this wonderful first season box-set.

The colour and brightness/contrast look stunning even on CRT TV. I might watch a few mins on the LCD projector in 1080i later on,

The opening theme is light-years different from the early region 2 DVD series. The sound of the U.S.S. Enterprise flyby from off the LCR stage channels passes along right then left stereo surrounds, but with diffident "whoooooosssssshhhhhhhh" sound.

Other passes by of the Enterprise, appear to pass overhead on the regular stereo surrounds. Doors still have the shhhhhhhhh panning to left and right or centre depending on which way, the camera is looking or if camera makes a pan to left or right, the sound engineer has made a good decision judgement to making the show more entertaining over the original MONO mix.

I'm using NIGHT:CINEMA on the Yamaha RX-V650 to enhance the smaller softer sounds that are many - db down are raised up, for a clearer playback.

As you can see from the snap shots above I'm watching "THE MAN TRAP"

Other things I noticed is the speed of the sound which is at the correct speed on the HD-DVD or if it was a R1 DVD, R2 PAL = speed-up.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2013, 20:19 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Okay only grumble side to this, is the image/sound pixel-ed up a few times on one or few episodes that lead me to remove disc/s and clean with tissue with some bright light from LED touch and looking at the disc/s at a few angles to see if, I have missed anything.

This is second-hand hence its been played used but here's why I'm grumbling. (It wouldn't have happened with Laserdisc)!

Digital DVD bluray and HD-DVD is so tricky. I could purposely place some dirt or tiny piece of skin on the surface of Laserdisc and it would still read the image and the sound. Of course if it was large enough it would curse some image/sound disruption but no worse then (DVD bluray and HD-DVD).

Does the STAR TREK HD-DVD have any extra special surface coating to protect the discs from tiny/minor scratches say finger nails for those who can't see well or have wolverine claws? :mrgreen:

I'll have to clean the discs up as best as I can but if I experience too much of the same issues, was this STAR TREK HD-DVD ever reported to have defects?

Or then again maybe I need to open up HD-DVD player and give it (short burst of air from a compressed can to remove any foreign object away from the optical leaser).

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2013, 22:06 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

can you pick the original effects? i thought i read somewhere that you can with the first issue DVDs?
i know these are the HD-DVDs but just asking.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2013, 22:09 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

laserbite34 wrote:
Digital DVD bluray and HD-DVD is so tricky. I could purposely place some dirt or tiny piece of skin on the surface of Laserdisc and it would still read the image and the sound. Of course if it was large enough it would curse some image/sound disruption but no worse then (DVD bluray and HD-DVD).

Probably because the pits and lands are so much bigger on LD than DVD/HD DVD/Blu ray. I don't think HD DVD ever had a scratch resistant coating. Blu ray had it because when they scratched they were unplayable unlike DVD and HD DVD they would still play depending on severity.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2013, 22:10 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

rein-o wrote:
can you pick the original effects? i thought i read somewhere that you can with the first issue DVDs?
i know these are the HD-DVDs but just asking.

It's the combo HD DVD with DVD on the top. No, there is only the new effects on these.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2013, 01:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

tomtastic wrote:
laserbite34 wrote:

Probably because the pits and lands are so much bigger on LD than DVD/HD DVD/Blu ray. I don't think HD DVD ever had a scratch resistant coating. Blu ray had it because when they scratched they were unplayable unlike DVD and HD DVD they would still play depending on severity.

HD-DVD stored the data at the same depth from the surface as DVD so scratches and such were more out of focus than BD, which stores the data right at the surface so everything is in focus. HD-DVD also used a more advanced error correction system to compensate for the reduced pit size. The scratch resistant coating on BD would have been nice on HD-DVD, but I've never had problems with scratched discs. Unlike BD, HD-DVD could have scratches buffed out since the data was deeper under the surface.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2013, 04:51 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

tomtastic wrote:
laserbite34 wrote:

Well I think your right about the scratch coating covering. You know screen shots better then most here. "THE NAKED TIME" chapter 1. below (at present I jumped to chapter 2 and so far no stuttering freezing up with pixel issues so far...)

It locked at this point and moved at snail speed same as the first picture above^^^ the second picture.

Pixel now above!^^^

It looks like nosferatu owned this? :lol: its got more drag marks than someone being tied to the back end of car being dragged down the road. But I'm puzzled I have a few minor scratches like this on some DVD I own but after long term years of use and this looks like it had little use, maybe? Or maybe the marks are cursed by the disc tray?

I had a issue years ago with Vertigo DVD R2 many years ago with freezing and pixel green pixels. I opened up the DVD Sony player and after looking for almost an hour I found hair from me stuck across the lens horizontal and its no wonder it eluded me as I was looking downwards and when looking across it horizontal I noticed the hair. I used care to removing as it was so tiny and it was right over the lens.

So I was thinking what would I do if if this was 35mm? I'd use CO2 if I had some on hand? So I found a strew from a drink I had at the cinema last April and stuck it in near to where the laser lens is and blew without the wet dribble otherwise RISKY! :lol:

I made sure I blew with quick busts. I'm only hoping there was some dirt dust hairs on the laser lens and so far I'm half way though "THE NAKED TIME" "Sulu give me that". "Sooty we need power" (okay I'll back up to chapter 1 now....okay starting fingers crossed)

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2013, 04:53 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

:twisted: FU%^*&)()_K! !!! Same crap! now a PINK SCREEN PIXEL!!!! Chapter 1 seems F_%()kED! I'm not happy at all.

Okay I'll leave some feedback on the seller and find out what HD-DVD player she used as that might give me some clue or maybe I need to buy some CO2 and get the lid off the Toshiba EP30 but chapter 2 seems to play on fine. so maybe scratch mark and at what point would THE NAKED TIME play from outer side or inner side? If I can know which part maybe I can investigate the issue with little or means of expensive cost to getting it resolved?

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2013, 05:48 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

What I have noticed with box-set is it has smell of aftershave and the seller is woman, unless she happens to be :think: hairy? :lol: :shock: :mrgreen: I did find when cleaning HD-DVD discs I find a long brown hair from something hairy, and it wasn't pubic it was head hairy hair. Its somewhere on the floor now and I had. I had it in my fingers a moment ago as I had to use the LED touch to find it and it slipped out my fingers. It was about 2 inches long.

Sooty was sniffing the STAR TREK HD-DVD over :think: HD? Hairy Disc! :lol: He soon moved away he didn't like the smell and I guess after a cat being in the home cinema a few nights ago, he ain't going to forgive me for at least a few weeks.

Also owning a pet has nothing to do with owning a Laserdisc DVD HD-DVD or bluray minus the hairy hairs. :lol:

Hairs fall off US not to mention skin dirt from finger nails, even noise hairs that can easily fall out even eyebrows hairs in our ears, shall I go down the list? :mrgreen:

Every-time we rub our hands together fine small parts of skin falls off and it goes into keyboard yes the one you type on and if you think I'm talking a load of hair billocks, :mrgreen: turn your keyboard upside NOW and tap on it and watch all the hairy hairs dirt dust and don't be at all surprised if you see some form of creature moving around you'd be shocked!

I have wireless keyboard and just tapped out few hairy hairs not her's mine and few bits of skin and that is fact we have to ALL live with.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2013, 06:55 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

"MUDD' S WOMAN" now playing and no they are not hairy, they wax their legs. :lol:

Some of these GCI short teasers look okay. so far chapter 1 is playing without fault. :)

Image^^ yeah and she's a lovely lady galaxy class starship. :)

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2013, 08:04 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

The main menu is fancy with beaming sound effects and even the pop-up menu with shhhhhhhhh door sound effects.

Disc 3 above title ^ has no issues on chapter 1 I trust the next remaining 6 discs are in finer condition. Nice shot of the Enterprise above.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2013, 10:05 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I haven't played my HD DVD set for several years. Probably since 2008? I got it out the other day and noticed it does have a few light scratches, not as bad as that disc you shot. I played it last on indestructible Xbox drive. I don't remember any issues with playback then. Now that I have stand alone XA2, we'll have to see....

I know that some BD's if they're scratched, even with coating, they sometimes just won't play. DVD is the best, or LD. DVD's can take a beating. I've had some that were cracked that still would play and rip. Amazing discs. I doubt the disc structure will allow it on HD DVD or BD. Keep your discs clean and safe.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2013, 16:44 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

tomtastic wrote:
I haven't played my HD DVD set for several years. Probably since 2008? I got it out the other day and noticed it does have a few light scratches, not as bad as that disc you shot. I played it last on indestructible Xbox drive. I don't remember any issues with playback then. Now that I have stand alone XA2, we'll have to see....

I know that some BD's if they're scratched, even with coating, they sometimes just won't play. DVD is the best, or LD. DVD's can take a beating. I've had some that were cracked that still would play and rip. Amazing discs. I doubt the disc structure will allow it on HD DVD or BD. Keep your discs clean and safe.

Good point on mentioning "cracked DVD" as I have a few and that is down to lousy packing boxes of some DVD cases that should be outlawed. I think you know the few type I'm talking about.

Well I managed to get though "MIRI" without any snags early this morning. I like the picture quality even on the CRT. I'd have to pick on show for watching on the projector. To bad Season 2 and the rest was dropped from HD-DVD I starting to get into with Dolby TrueHD.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2013, 16:21 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Testing out or getting to grips with my new birthday present that my dad bought around this afternoon. Fujifilm FinePix S4400.

Watching STAR TREK "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" HD 1080i

Colour shot the camera seems to handle the brightness from the LCD projection white at least the green tint that my other Fujifilm camera was producing.

B&W shot

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013, 08:37 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Been watching some more HD-DVD last night of STAR TREK "Dagger of the Mind" no playback problems.
Show was watched on the CRT with lens zoom in on the TV.

Last edited by laserbite34 on 18 Jan 2013, 08:42, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013, 08:41 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

After watching "Dagger of the Mind" I watched some more HD-DVD STAR TREK last night. "The Corbomite Maneuver"
Show was watched on the CRT with lens zoom in on the TV.

I had the cameras shutter speed set at slow speed and I didn't expect this to come out with two frames overlapping so I decided to keep it as it looks kinder fancy looking. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2013, 02:20 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Watching STAR TREK "The Menagerie" part 1

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2013, 03:10 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

STAR TREK "The Menagerie" part 2 HD-DVD Dolby Stereo Digital Plus

GREEN GIRL. :)

Page 1 of 2 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next