It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:25

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Toshiba HD-E30 (disconnected the fan)
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2017, 21:42 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Yes as it says above disconnected the fan. Its not needed it doesn't serve a great purpose other than making the player sound like a garden-leaf-blower. You find yourself raising the volume few db more to mask the fan noise. The chassis case doubles the noise and frequency at which its sounding at and ends up being a small distraction to the home cinema.

Attachment:
HD-DVD.jpg
HD-DVD.jpg [ 96.66 KiB | Viewed 1086 times ]

Picture above is from few years ago when checking the drive for any hairs on the laser lens.

The fan is located at rear of the player of course circled in red with another oh wow another red circle that is the power lead to the fan. Just pull on the lead and it un-clips its that simple then no more leaf blower noise. The spindle motor is surprisingly quiet that now I can actually hear the player with me ear up close to it and its so incredible faint? With the fan disconnected its actually lowered the db noise floor of the room so be nice now to play disc on the player without hearing the fan whirling noise over my left shoulder.

I'll be doing the same with sony BDP-S550 bluray player later tonight as that has noisy fan that I can easily hear and I doubt its not really needed like the Toshiba player I mean there wasn't any real major heat build-up inside the player and I see a lot worse items that have ridiculous amount of heat flowing out that they are in dire need for a cooling fan.

All the laserdisc players I owned never had a one fan fitted hardly any DVD player and one other bluray player that doesn't have a fan on the Phillips BDP7300 yet it does always feel warm not melting HOT just warm like all electronics that generate heat.

Adding an extra note that I have noticed with the player is the discs feel warmish when removed and that is with the fan running at the back of the player. I'm wondering if a slim cooling fan running at low SPL db noise level attached to the top of drive system blowing cool air downwards would keep drive system a fraction cooler.

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ]