It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:00

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: We seem to have a lot of forum lurkers who never post
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2014, 14:56 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Currently there are 1539 forum members on LDDB.com as of July 12th 2014.
11 users have posted 1000+ times.
26 users have posted 500+ times.
45 users posted 250+ times.
82 users have posted 100+ times.
236 users have posted 10+ times.
471 users have posted 1+ times.
95 users have only ever posted once!
But a staggering 972 members (almost two thirds of all members) have never posted at all yet. :thumbdown:

You cannot blame the regular contributors to the forum if we sometimes appear to be covering the same topic for the 10th time!....it's only natural we sometimes run out of ideas to discuss.

With so much potential new blood out there I'd like to think some more of these 'lurkers' can make a fresh contribution to the forum.
From a purely selfish perspective, I was always disappointed there weren't more people who posted in relation to music releases.
I know there are plenty of enthusiastic music collectors out there as I've sold many discs all over the world and got to know many fine sellers and other contacts from Ebay etc.
Don't be shy.....get posting....I'd welcome new material on any topic except perhaps Star Wars as we went through a period last year on the forum where all we got was Star Wars threads for about 6 months solid!!!! :lol:

Post subject: Re: We seem to have a lot of forum lurkers who never post
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2014, 15:20 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

yes, music is a large seller on ebay and here on LDDB but nobody talks about it, could it be that they
want to keep the music LDs secret????

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2014, 15:51 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I know some 'music video collectors' as they like to be known don't care about the laserdisc format as such. They are only interested in getting the content for bootlegging purposes or trading to get other content so I can understand why they might not be too vocal about what they are doing as it is illegal no matter how they describe it.

Most though do seem to have an affection for the laserdisc format. I've found that you could offer them the stars, the moon and the sun and they would never sell certain titles, no matter what price you offered them. It is almost like a different breed of collector....very passionate about specific bands/artists.

Very few music collectors listen to a very broad range of music but nearly all would find something of interest in my own personal collection as it is hugely varied. That is why I am surprised there isn't more discussion on the topic as it is a very broad topic!

I'd love to hear from people who remember seeing certain music titles for sale at the time even if they didn't buy them. I got into laserdisc in 2006 so I missed the boat completely in terms of buying them instore but even I remember the CDV relaunch in the late 80's and have a few 5" CDVs from that period!...it would be almost 20 years before I could play them.

I would love to see pictures of shops that sold/stocked music LDs all over the world at the peak of the formats popularity. I regret not taking some pictures of the CDV period myself as there was a big push in the UK to persuade users to buy CDVs on the back of the success of compact disc and it was heavily promoted in most local music stores at the time. I may still have an article somewhere in an old music or hi-fi magazine with an interview with the CEO of PDO UK about music releases and what was planned etc.

I can't be the only person in the world who was interested in this stuff....or am I!!! :lol:

Last edited by laserdisc_fan on 12 Jul 2014, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2014, 16:25 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I remember seeing that David Bowie visions? CDvideo set at tower right before or right after we got the LD player, but I think it
was around 60 or 100 bucks and I didn't like bowie that much :lol:

also the music section was in a different area compared to all the other LDs at tower video, I think they were off in a corner.
but I never looked as that wasn't my main interest, I could see all the videos on MTV at the time and didn't think too
much about owning the LD of the same videos :(

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2014, 19:29 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I'm a pretty huge music fan. I love going to concerts, I own thousands of releases on CD and vinyl. I'm really into making music with my analog synth collection, at least a song a week, sometimes a song a day. I DJ as many as three shows a week at a volunteer FM station. Sometimes it's freeform, sometimes it's metal, sometimes it's continuous mix electronic stuff.

However, I own very few music LDs. Very few. The reason is pretty simple. With very very few exceptions, in order to have an LD released for your band you had to be a heavily promoted major lable act. This isn't always the case, but usually this is what we see.

I would love to see a collection as impressive as laserdisc_fan's. It's huge huge huge and full of tens of thousands of dollars worth of some of the rarest LDs out there. Unfortunately though, it's also full of tens of thousands of dollars worth of some of the worst music ever recorded. Most likely, the reason why so few people hugely into music LDs post here is because there isn't much to say about Debbie Gibson, 2 Unlimited, The Bullet Boys, Damn Yankees, LA Guns, MC Hammer, Hanson, New Kids on the Block, Cameo (word up), Extreme and a bunch of other garbage that nobody on Earth listens to anymore except in historical or ironic contexts. Sure, there are lots of good bands with LDs too, but many of them were produced by Pioneer in the 80s and 90s, not exactly these artist's prime. There are several Chet Baker LDs, for example, but every one is from his "comeback era" in the 80s, just before he died. It's still interesting, but not his best material at all.

There are 12 Barry Manilow LDs. TWELVE! This guy was almost universally despised years before any of these LDs came out. Who is buying them? There are 12 LDs from Genesis, but only one or two are from the era before they went to hell as a band.

It's not that these people don't love their collections, it's just that they love them for something outside of the contents of the discs, meaning there just isn't much to talk about.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2014, 20:27 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

signofzeta wrote:
However, I own very few music LDs. Very few. The reason is pretty simple. With very very few exceptions, in order to have an LD released for your band you had to be a heavily promoted major lable act. This isn't always the case, but usually this is what we see.

That is one thing I would definitely disagree with.

Rox Diamond (a carbon copy of 80's rock band Giuffria) had released only one album in 1992 (at the peak of grunge) yet somehow managed to get a live concert released on laserdisc Rox Diamond: Live in Japan (1992) [FHLF-1053]. Immediately after they got dropped by their record label! Practically no one in the world has heard of them so the idea of releasing a laserdisc is absurd but I'm glad they did because it is a fantastic live performance and a huge tribute to how good the band were. They recently reformed and that concert was re-issued on DVD. I bought it again on DVD + their second album Powerdrive (which is superb) + the live at firefest DVD (a recent performance) to help support them as this is one band that deserves to flourish.

Tony Wilson who owned Factory Records might have loved the band Durutti Column but their music never had mass commercial appeal
yet 2 laserdiscs exist by this band:
Durutti Column: Domo Arigato - Live in Tokyo (1985) [COLY-3005]
Durutti Column: When The World [FACDV 194]
Again the live concert is one of the most sought after titles for music collectors.

Then there is Fiat Lux - they never even got the chance to release an album yet a 44 minute laserdisc exists featuring videos and live footage:
Fiat Lux: Commercial Breakdown [SM058-3007]

The Berlin live concert filmed in Japan in 1987 also makes no real commercial sense for a band that was essentially a one hit wonder and were about to split up yet it still got issued on laserdisc: Berlin: Wam Bam, Live in Japan (1987) [SM058-3170].

I could go on but there is no point because music laserdisc titles were often released for really obscure artists/bands if you take the trouble to track them down.

signofzeta wrote:
Most likely, the reason why so few people hugely into music LDs post here is because there isn't much to say about Debbie Gibson, 2 Unlimited, The Bullet Boys, Damn Yankees, LA Guns, MC Hammer, Hanson, New Kids on the Block, Cameo (word up), Extreme and a bunch of other garbage that nobody on Earth listens to anymore except in historical or ironic contexts.

You may then be surprised to hear that all of those bands you quote (except for Bullet Boys) I have been asked for and sold laserdiscs of at different stages. The most recent being Cameo: The Video Singles (1984) [JM038-0045] which I sold last summer for $75 on LDDB.com. The previous copy also sold for $75 so there is demand for these artists still with or without the codpiece!

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2014, 00:49 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The Duruti LDs came after Factory was essentially absorbed by London. Fiat Lux was Polydor. You're proving my point. They are all major lable acts with heavy promotion. Much of the time the LDs themselves *are* the promotion. All the ones that compile MTV videos, for example, are essentially a compilation of commercials for the record. The ones that are concerts are often commercials for LD itself, in a way, since they were made by Pioneer to add value to their Laserdisc brand. The Fiat Lux one especially proves my point. Only a major lable act would have six videos and no album. Bands working their way up the club circuit in the early 80s and releasing singles one at a time did not have the ability to have a professionally shot concert laserdisc released of them. I'd wonder if anyone even actually paid to get into that show.

There are a few music LDs I'd like to have, and many of them are $50+. They are indeed less common than Star Wars, but to be honest, since you seem to be the biggest seller of music LDs in the world, and the biggest advocate for their incredibly high prices, I can't help but think that you yourself are a big part of these prices. I mean, if the only person in the world tells you something is worth a specific amount you just kinda have to go for it.

I'm saying you gouged Cameo's moms, basically. Or some kid with Down's. No coherent sane human with a job and a permanent address gives a crap about Cameo anymore. They were over the hill when Word Up hit, really.

Let's forget that though. Why were there no LDs from Helloween? Japan loves that band and always has.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2014, 02:03 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

signofzeta wrote:
The Duruti LDs came after Factory was essentially absorbed by London. Fiat Lux was Polydor. You're proving my point. They are all major lable acts with heavy promotion.

I'm saying you gouged Cameo's moms, basically. Or some kid with Down's. No coherent sane human with a job and a permanent address gives a crap about Cameo anymore. They were over the hill when Word Up hit, really.

Well I don't recall ever seeing Durutti Column in the charts. Most people couldn't name even one song by them and any band like Fiat Lux that didn't get to release even one album in the 80's (when record companies nearly always signed most bands for 5+ years for multi-album deals) was seriously small time.

I suppose you'd also ignore Zerra One, Test Dept., Einstürzende Neubauten, Oregon, The Icicle Works, The Monochrome Set, Orange Juice, The Fixx, Alphaville, Dead Can Dance, The Church, The Sisters of Mercy, Love and Rockets not to mention Sabbat, Running Wild, Coroner, Celtic Frost, Tankard, Gwar and even Dirty Rotten Imbeciles (D.R.I)............the list just goes on and on. None of these are mainstream artists by most people's definition of popular music yet all are available on laserdisc.

That early Cameo LD is a classic - they were smokin' hot back then. The same guy who bought Cameo also bought Cutting Crew, Chicago and Richard Marx and never batted an eyelid at the prices.

signofzeta wrote:
Let's forget that though. Why were there no LDs from Helloween? Japan loves that band and always has.

As for Helloween I never bought a single thing they ever released. I would much rather have seen a laserdisc by the mighty Y&T than Helloween any day, especially live.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2014, 21:44 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I can only assume Helloween's Japanese label at the time didn't have any LD hookups. The Japanese love those guys. Their last album charted quite well in Japan.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2014, 00:27 
I have a big mouth. Sorry.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2014, 03:26 
I was going to write that you cannot view the LDDb forum freely unless you register but it only works that way if you aren't logged on while visiting the homepage.
But if you put down http://forum.lddb.com, you can see the forum and all its glory. I know this now 3 months after registering. 8-)

My guess that why there are 0 and 1 post count posters is that they'd log in, lookup information, ask a question, or do an intro post, and put the LD, CED, SACD or HD-DVD project away eventually forgetting about it.

As far as not many music LDs being posted...
The best music was made after LD died. :angel:
So us "bestest music listeners" never bought an LD because it never met the threshold we wanted (sarcasm).

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2014, 07:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Hey, some people are just more comfortable lurking about ...... ;^ 0

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2014, 18:36 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I know sometimes I don't know what to write so I let the gurus help out alot.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2014, 06:56 
Hello laser disc fan how are you? I do enjoy collecting music titles as you know. I prefer watching them on laserdisc rather than on you tube. Im glad I got & kept my cds also. Just bought 3 new cd players because my main boom box in the garage quit after 20 years. Bought several macro cd/radio only players. I do NOT or ever plan to mess with ipads/pods or whatever they are. I hear if you download music on them & if they are dropped they go in the garbage anyway. I would rather hold a cd or laserdisc in my hand knowing that it is always there to play.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2014, 10:21 
True fan
True fan

I'm thinking the reason you don't see a lot of folks posting but registered is because they are into LD's for different reasons than collecting the LD's themselves. They most likely want specific content and or LD's. Why post anything that doesn't relate to the general feeling of the most hard core enthusiasts? They come, they find the information they seek and their gone.
As you know, I am a collector of content of very specific genres of music videos. LD's have some very rare content unavailable or in the best condition. For the most part I've pretty much have gotten all the material I want on LD and have long since parted ways with the majority of the discs themselves. If I don't find any new material I desire in the next year I'll probably part ways with the format altogether, having my digital collection to always remember it by.
Meanwhile there is much work to be done in the digital world.

8-) Elvis

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2014, 11:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

"Why post anything that does not relate to the mood of the hard core enthusiasts?"

Comon Elvis, do you really believe that that is why people lurk about and avoid posting ?
That is some bulls**t ..... as well as uncreative and down right rude .....
Where as your assessment about people visiting here for specific content sounds accurate why must you spin it as if scared away by the mood of LD zealots ?
Perhaps people who are registered and not posting are not doing so because they just dont feel like contributing ......
Several reasons come to mind as to why people don't post ..... LaserDisc Lover and Taker alike !

Blaming members for others not posting is typical of your negative outlook on LD.
An outlook self admited by yourself and even apologized for .......

Man I really tried to bury the hatchet with you and then you type this reactionary trype.......

Thank you for sharing sir !

Your posts bring out my troll dark side more than most on this forum.
I really, really attempt restraint .............
When did you say you were leaving ?

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2014, 12:17 
True fan
True fan

Your reading way too much into my words. Get some sleep my brother. Love ya too!!!

8-) Elvis

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2014, 23:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

elviscaprice wrote:
Your reading way too much into my words. Get some sleep my brother. Love ya too!!!

8-) Elvis

Alright Elvis, you got me .......
Nightshifts were hellish this weekend, apologies for my rant...
But still man ...... lol

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2014, 00:07 
OK, for me it's because I read a whole lot better than I write. Posting to questions like type of player you use, favorite movie etc. are what I prefer. I guess the bigger question is what needs to happen to make the forum more inclusive?

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2014, 17:33 
Hello laserdisc_fan

Maybe a good example of why some might not post a lot. Only recently posted in the AC3RF Demodulator section asking a question. 43 views, no replys. :?
Now I know someone in the forum must have some thoughts on the subject. :think: :think: By the way, I don't have a problem posting whether I get an answer or not. Hopefully more will weigh in.

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next