It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 21:12

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: LDDb newbie and Huge Laserdisc and Tech Fan ...
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2016, 15:39 
Hi to all in LDDb land....
:D :wave:
I am huge long time laserdisc fan and general retro and tech geek/guru, (sort of). I have used your site for many years as a reference point and a fountain of knowledge for all things laserdisc and a lot more, but I have now decided to become a member as I am migrating towards a Mid - High end HD AV environment, (although I'm not ready for 4K yet), and building a new mid budget cinema room / man cave, and need some advice.
I love all the new digital formats like bluray, etc, but I also appreciate the aesthetics of analogue formats like vinyl and laserdisc. There is something about theses formats which for me makes them timeless, and something to treasure.

I have a Pioneer CLD D925 (and about 250 laserdiscs NTSC and PAL), which I plan to route through a Lovely used Pioneer DVR-LX60D DVDR unit I picked up, and then through a Onkyo TX-NR809 AVR using Hi Quality QED / other, composite and s-video cables, (Component/HDMI to Onkyo AVR), and then output on to a Optoma HD230X 1080p Projector via HDMI.

I have done some research on this site and others, but I remain curious as to whether I am using the correct cables or not, and also, is the route above the most efficient way to output a viable HD1080p picture from my laserdisc to my projector without me spending thousands on a commercial grade up-scaler (lumagen, Gentec, DVDO, etc). I am planning to set up the above configuration in the next few weeks, so any tips on set-up and other equipment or cables I may require would be awesome... As I said I have a little tech know how myself so, I am always happy to help also... Many thanks in advance and ALL HAIL LASERDISC...

The rest of my set up includes, Sony PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4,Nintendo Wii, XBOX(Original), XBOX360, XBOXOne, Gaming PC with MSI R290X 8GB GPU and Samsung U28E590D 4K Monitor, for steam, Technics SL1200MK4 Turntable, Pioneer BDP-LX91 BluRay Player, Q Acoustics 2000 7.1 Speakers, Sky HD+ Box, Yamaha APD-1 RF Demodulator,

Very JOY JOY HAPPY HAPPY :wave: :wave: ;) :D May the force of good will be with you..

Post subject: Re: LDDb newbie and Huge Laserdisc and Tech Fan ...
PostPosted: 01 May 2016, 02:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good evening / morning Proteus821,

great to read of your ongoing and unfolding man cave build project.

Laserdisc to 1080 I/P Projector: the main thing to have is the available lagacy connections: COMPOSITE /S-VIDEO.

Equally you could invest in a Legacy to digital HDMI switcher box for a grand total of around £170.
Look on line .......... I shall be investing into one of these, hopefully in the coming months Call ''Audio Venue'' and they will be able to assist , I shall be purchasing this unit from themselves in the near future.

I hope this helps?

I am currently viewing my Laserdiscs from one of my LD Players the HLD X9 to the Pioneer KURO 6090 and the picture for me personally is great.

Kind Regards to you

:thumbup: :thumbup: :wave:

PostPosted: 01 May 2016, 15:16 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Welcome to the Forum. :ugeek: Good luck on your cave build.

PostPosted: 02 May 2016, 12:51 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Hello
For my home theater im using a pioneer 925.for sound the optical from 925 goes straight to amplifier.for pictures the 925 sends composite output to a sony dvdr which outputs 1080p on my projector with hdmi.i dont think that using a dedicated upscaller will be far better than this....

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]