It is currently 21 Aug 2017, 01:50




 Page 2 of 2 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The little Mermaid for a crazy price
PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 10:40 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 24 Jun 2010, 10:23
Posts: 1469
Location: Sweden
It's on the LDs, right under the sticker.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The little Mermaid for a crazy price
PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 14:12 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 22 Nov 2011, 18:54
Posts: 570
Location: United States
They appear to be okay. Disk 1 is marked 14795CS-B02-K on side 1 and 14795CS-A01-K on side 2. Disk 2 is marked 14795CS-D02-K on side 3 and 14795CS-C02-K on side 4.

I have to make a confession here. The copy of LM that I ordered off E-bay was a mistake on my part. Before I ordered it, I had checked my master list of all movies and did not find LM. I then ordered LM off e-bay. I got to thinking that I had watched LM not too long ago which made me check some LD's that are stored on a table. Sure enough, I have a CAV copy of LM that is the Widescreen, Fully Restored, Collector's Edition. The above mint marks are from that copy.

This is what happens when you don't keep your inventories up to date. I did have LM on my Laserdisc inventory spreadsheet which I had not consulted. Oh well, I will check the mint marks when I get the shipment.

I will now self-flagellate for 2 hours for making such an error (lol).
_________________
LD: CLD-D406, CLD-980, MDP-600, MDP-MR1
CED: 934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-090,200,&400, CED-1
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The little Mermaid for a crazy price
PostPosted: 24 May 2017, 18:13 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 21 Dec 2002, 18:44
Posts: 565
Location: United States
dumbchemist wrote:
They appear to be okay. Disk 1 is marked 14795CS-B02-K on side 1 and 14795CS-A01-K on side 2. Disk 2 is marked 14795CS-D02-K on side 3 and 14795CS-C02-K on side 4.

I have to make a confession here. The copy of LM that I ordered off E-bay was a mistake on my part. Before I ordered it, I had checked my master list of all movies and did not find LM. I then ordered LM off e-bay. I got to thinking that I had watched LM not too long ago which made me check some LD's that are stored on a table. Sure enough, I have a CAV copy of LM that is the Widescreen, Fully Restored, Collector's Edition. The above mint marks are from that copy.

This is what happens when you don't keep your inventories up to date. I did have LM on my Laserdisc inventory spreadsheet which I had not consulted. Oh well, I will check the mint marks when I get the shipment.

I will now self-flagellate for 2 hours for making such an error (lol).


The version I'm referring to with the incorrect 3/2 pull-down and reversed stereo channels is the original CAV edition, pressed by Pioneer, catalog http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/02706/913-CS/Little-Mermaid-The
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The little Mermaid for a crazy price
PostPosted: 24 May 2017, 20:45 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 22 Nov 2011, 18:54
Posts: 570
Location: United States
blam1 wrote:
dumbchemist wrote:
They appear to be okay. Disk 1 is marked 14795CS-B02-K on side 1 and 14795CS-A01-K on side 2. Disk 2 is marked 14795CS-D02-K on side 3 and 14795CS-C02-K on side 4.

I have to make a confession here. The copy of LM that I ordered off E-bay was a mistake on my part. Before I ordered it, I had checked my master list of all movies and did not find LM. I then ordered LM off e-bay. I got to thinking that I had watched LM not too long ago which made me check some LD's that are stored on a table. Sure enough, I have a CAV copy of LM that is the Widescreen, Fully Restored, Collector's Edition. The above mint marks are from that copy.

This is what happens when you don't keep your inventories up to date. I did have LM on my Laserdisc inventory spreadsheet which I had not consulted. Oh well, I will check the mint marks when I get the shipment.

I will now self-flagellate for 2 hours for making such an error (lol).


The version I'm referring to with the incorrect 3/2 pull-down and reversed stereo channels is the original CAV edition, pressed by Pioneer, catalog http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/02706/913-CS/Little-Mermaid-The


The CAV version I have has a UPC code of 78693607974 which does not match the catalog entry you are referring to.
_________________
LD: CLD-D406, CLD-980, MDP-600, MDP-MR1
CED: 934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-090,200,&400, CED-1
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The little Mermaid for a crazy price
PostPosted: 24 May 2017, 20:54 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate
User avatar

Joined: 14 Jan 2010, 09:44
Posts: 2150
Location: United States
For what it's worth I haven't received a response from the guy yet. He has ten thousand feedbacks and lots of LDs for sale for average prices so one would assume it was a mistake to list it that high, but then you never know. Gouging the hell out of someone on something that cost you nothing is the American dream after all, maybe he's hoping to get lucky.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The little Mermaid for a crazy price
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2017, 22:50 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan
User avatar

Joined: 10 Oct 2006, 17:10
Posts: 3707
Location: United Kingdom
signofzeta wrote:
For what it's worth I haven't received a response from the guy yet. He has ten thousand feedbacks and lots of LDs for sale for average prices so one would assume it was a mistake to list it that high, but then you never know. Gouging the hell out of someone on something that cost you nothing is the American dream after all, maybe he's hoping to get lucky.

I got a reply. I made an offer for £1 pound and he said "no thanks". Greedy seller.
_________________
LDDB MOD TEAM
Slave to Sooty.
http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?user=laserbite34
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The little Mermaid for a crazy price
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2017, 23:12 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate
User avatar

Joined: 14 Jan 2010, 09:44
Posts: 2150
Location: United States
Man, that's weird. Why would he...? He *knows* it's max ten bucks so aparentky he's hoping to find some idiot with thousands of dollars to buy a super common disc I payed literally $1 for a couple of years ago.

Aside from HK Song of the South I don't think any Disney LD is worth over $100, is it? They all seem so common. I have dozens of the suckers and I don't even actively collect them.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The little Mermaid for a crazy price
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2017, 23:41 
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate
User avatar

Joined: 30 Aug 2005, 15:38
Posts: 2716
Location: Pennsylvania
The only reason I can think of as to why this guy thinks this LD is worth any money is the "Black Diamond" collectibility of certain Disney VHS releases.

Check the idiotic prices of these "Black Diamond" VHS tapes . . .

https://www.etsy.com/listing/512442830/ ... Ao_X8P8HAQ

https://www.etsy.com/listing/460635814/ ... AlXd8P8HAQ

As for what the hell is a "Black Diamond"? That's the Walt Disney logo at the beginning of the video and on the spine of some of these tapes that says "The Classics." Not exactly sure why this has become such a big deal now, but it is what it is.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The little Mermaid for a crazy price
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2017, 23:44 
Honest fan
Honest fan
User avatar

Joined: 17 May 2007, 23:01
Posts: 64
Location: Baden-Württemberg / Germany
It's like Albert Einstein said ...

Quote:
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The little Mermaid for a crazy price
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2017, 00:38 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan
User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2004, 19:05
Posts: 3937
Location: United States
signofzeta wrote:

Aside from HK Song of the South I don't think any Disney LD is worth over $100, is it? They all seem so common. I have dozens of the suckers and I don't even actively collect them.

Used to be a lot but not now, I think the only ones that could be in the 100 range are Melody Time and Make Mine Music.
But they don't seem to get the prices they once did.

Download and things like Youtube have killed off the "censored" LD market.
Now you can see what you're missing and don't give a s**t.
Just how it is, why have a player for 3 discs when you can get the bluray and watch the cut stuff for free. :|
_________________
CD player stolen by Duncan Hunter AKA Laserdisc service AKA Bayview Electronics since May 2014
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The little Mermaid for a crazy price
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2017, 03:09 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate
User avatar

Joined: 14 Jan 2010, 09:44
Posts: 2150
Location: United States
elahrairrah wrote:
The only reason I can think of as to why this guy thinks this LD is worth any money is the "Black Diamond" collectibility of certain Disney VHS releases.

Check the idiotic prices of these "Black Diamond" VHS tapes . . .

https://www.etsy.com/listing/512442830/ ... Ao_X8P8HAQ

https://www.etsy.com/listing/460635814/ ... AlXd8P8HAQ

As for what the hell is a "Black Diamond"? That's the Walt Disney logo at the beginning of the video and on the spine of some of these tapes that says "The Classics." Not exactly sure why this has become such a big deal now, but it is what it is.


That would be a stretch since the dpis**ts collecting "Black Diamond" VHS have never heard of a Laserdisc player...or even a HiFi HQ VHS deck for that matter.

Now...sellers attempting to bring whatever junk they have lying around into the world of Black Diamond collecting morons with the hopes of a free Kia sized chunk of cash...that's totally possible.


I'm starting to think I'm the only one left who buys things on video to watch them, and only pays mad money for stuff for my own personal reasons...as opposed to paying insane money for slabs of useless media because some amorphous Internet group-think says it's valuable.

There was an article on Cracked years ago about how in the future, with automation and such taking over, that all careers will be primarily based on total unsubstantiated BS. A crucial piece of the article is that you don't have to wait for it, it's already taking place. $8000 Little Mermaid LDs would certainly fall into that catagory...as well as fake bomb detectors, the Goop brand of fake science, advertising, or Juicero. The more of the world's problems we solve the harder it is to find something worth doing. That's why so many people are in IT and "medical billing", whatever that is.

In the future, *all* Americans will live in run town trailers/shacks, paying off our only bill (telecom of some sort) with the money we make selling old crap on eBay for 1000x more than we got it for. The USA will be 500M depressed diabetic flippers...probably selling to the Chinese and Europe because Americans will all be broke as hell by then. Also, we'll have all the LDs and 16-bit video games by then and Japan will probably want them back at some point, so there's a market.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The little Mermaid for a crazy price
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 08:48 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan
User avatar

Joined: 10 Oct 2006, 17:10
Posts: 3707
Location: United Kingdom
signofzeta wrote:
Man, that's weird. Why would he...? He *knows* it's max ten bucks so aparentky he's hoping to find some idiot with thousands of dollars to buy a super common disc I payed literally $1 for a couple of years ago.

Aside from HK Song of the South I don't think any Disney LD is worth over $100, is it? They all seem so common. I have dozens of the suckers and I don't even actively collect them.

He mentioned the cover is like porn-ish? Yeah so what? There other p0rn laserdiscs that have sexy covers :mrgreen: that don't sell at absurd prices.
_________________
LDDB MOD TEAM
Slave to Sooty.
http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?user=laserbite34
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The little Mermaid for a crazy price
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2017, 23:39 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate
User avatar

Joined: 14 Jan 2010, 09:44
Posts: 2150
Location: United States
I'm %99.9 sure that only early VHS releases have Wang Tower, so he's dishonest about that too.

Man, I miss eBay 1998 or whenever. These jerks hadn't been invented yet. Most auctions started at $0.99 and there was no such thing as BIN.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The little Mermaid for a crazy price
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017, 05:50 
Honest fan
Honest fan
User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2015, 02:46
Posts: 67
Location: DC
The big downside of it back then was that you had to rely a lot more on the seller's description. If you had more than one 320x240 photo you were lucky​.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The little Mermaid for a crazy price
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017, 19:03 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate
User avatar

Joined: 29 Jan 2006, 20:05
Posts: 2160
Location: United Kingdom
I think there is a much simpler explanation for the absurd prices for a handful of items - to attract people's attention to their auctions so they will buy the other more reasonably priced items. Let's face it, it seems to be working. ;)
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The little Mermaid for a crazy price
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017, 20:06 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate
User avatar

Joined: 14 Jan 2010, 09:44
Posts: 2150
Location: United States
You'd know.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The little Mermaid for a crazy price
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017, 20:46 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan
User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2004, 19:05
Posts: 3937
Location: United States
laserdisc_fan wrote:
I think there is a much simpler explanation for the absurd prices for a handful of items - to attract people's attention to their auctions so they will buy the other more reasonably priced items. Let's face it, it seems to be working. ;)

Hasn't worked for me :x
_________________
CD player stolen by Duncan Hunter AKA Laserdisc service AKA Bayview Electronics since May 2014
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The little Mermaid for a crazy price
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2017, 22:38 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 18 Mar 2011, 22:12
Posts: 903
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
the only way i'd pay big bucks if it was signed by the cast
Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: