It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:47

Page 1 of 5 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace on Laserdisc
PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 05:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I know the Laserdisc of The Phantom Menace was only ever released in Japan, but to those who do own it on LD or have at least seen it on LD, how does the picture quality compare to the DVD version? Because I've heard that the DVD version of The Phantom Menace was quite poor. Is the Laserdisc version actuelly better in this case in terms of picture quality?

Also a side question. Ive heard rumors that Attack of the Clones was also released on Laserdisc in Japan only. Are their any truths to this?

Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace on Laserdisc
PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 05:16 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

It's a good, clean transfer, however comparing LD to DVD is always subjective and depends on your player

and no, there is no EP 2 on LD :cry:

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 05:20 
True fan
True fan

I have Star Wars Episode 1 on Laserdisc, and while it looks and sounds fantastic for a laserdisc, it still doesn't look quite as good as the anamorphic DVD. It is a different cut of the movie however, with a slightl shorter pod race and a few different scenes that speed the movie along, and for that alone it is worth having. It also has a beautiful gatefold jacket that would make any Star Wars collector blush.
On top of that, the rumors you hear of Episode 2 being out on Laserdisc are false, as the movie was released to theaters in 2002, and the last theatrical film released on Laserdisc was in 2001

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 05:49 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I forgot to add it in my OP, but how about the sound quality? I have heard that the sound absolutely kills the DVD version, in fact a lot of LD tittles do compared to their DVD counterparts like Jurassic Park because its uncompressed. Is this element true for The Phantom Menace?

Also flcl4evr, are their actuelly new scenes on the LD theoretical version that are not seen in the DVD and Blu-Ray extended cut versions?

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 05:58 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

alien wrote:
I forgot to add it in my OP, but how about the sound quality? I have heard that the sound absolutely kills the DVD version, in fact a lot of LD tittles do compared to their DVD counterparts like Jurassic Park because its uncompressed. Is this element true for The Phantom Menace?

Also flcl4evr, are their actuelly new scenes on the LD theoretical version that are not seen in the DVD and Blu-Ray extended cut versions?

the soundtrack is DD 6.1 EX which is pretty nice, as with all LD's its uncompressed sound. I think the blu ray is also 6.1 though

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 08:13 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

yazorin wrote:
alien wrote:

the soundtrack is DD 6.1 EX which is pretty nice, as with all LD's its uncompressed sound. I think the blu ray is also 6.1 though

6.1 discrete on bluray the rear duel mono surround only carries sound effects while sidewall stereo surrounds carries sound effects and music/score and the rear mono back is little used in discrete.

The Dolby EX 6.1 matrix is active all the time as its getting crosstalk from the sidewall stereo surrounds, its a neat idea but I was running it in 1998 in the home, simple set-up that does add a difference to making a film exciting even boring films sound epic.

I think the word on the DVD picture was it used EE edge enhancement the Laserdisc doesn't appear to have it and looks nice the colours still can't get over it.

The compression doesn't bother me the loudness from softer sounds to louder ones is like how it was in Dolby Digital at the cinema and I saw it at least 10 times, several times in 4 different local cinemas and only one sounded better for the stage channels, one sounded okay for the stereo surrounds but lousy for stage LCR but subwoofer sounded too higher over the stage channels that was missing Jedi body punches like in the duel when Jin, smacks Mule off the catwalk and lands on his back OMPH! was weak no the stage channels then the Mule gives Jin and Tonic a Jedi kick to the face all that was over the stage channels and was lacking in must cinemas.

So a little bit of both would have been nice if all rolled into one cinema and it wasn't I don't think at the time playing in the UK in THX as most THX screens outside of London gave up their THX licence and gave Lucas the finger! Which is a shame.

So I had to wait until I got the THX Laserdic and its only taken some 12 years until I got an Dolby Laserdisc AC-3 up and running in the home, I enjoined it as PCM Dolby pro-logic still as the kick except minus the LFE.1 and full discreetness, I then got the DVD :wtf: but at least I could play it easily in Dolby Digital.

I would rate the Laserdic better then the bluray because bluray FAILS! Lucas is tight he doesn't give the fans a theatrical release and bluray even DVD is capable of doing that with duel versions like THE ABYSS. Well, there it is.

Laserdisc 10/10 :thumbup:
Picture 10/10 :thumbup:
Sound 10/10 :thumbup:
Jar, Jar 1/10 :thumbdown:

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 13:37 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Quote:
The Dolby EX 6.1 matrix is active all the time as its getting crosstalk from the sidewall stereo surrounds, its a neat idea but I was running it in 1998 in the home, simple set-up that does add a difference to making a film exciting even boring films sound epic.

I don't think there were any 6.1 DD releases or receivers. EP 1 was 5.1 EX first available on LD but not really 6.1 like some say, because it's not 6.1 discrete channels. Basically it was DD 5.1 EX. DTS has DTS 6.1 ES matrix and DTS ES which was the only 6.1 with discrete channels. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I'd like to know.

http://spannerworks.net/reference/10_9a.asp
Read at the bottom at this link under DD EX, states it's not 6.1 discrete just 5.1 EX, basically a mono of rear channels in center surround.

Last edited by tomtastic on 24 Aug 2012, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 13:56 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

tomtastic wrote:
Quote:

I don't think there were any 6.1 DD releases or receivers. EP 1 was 5.1 EX first available on LD but not really 6.1 like some say, because it's not 6.1 discrete channels. Basically it was DD 5.1 EX. DTS has DTS 6.1 EX which was matrix and DTS ES which was the only 6.1 with discrete channels. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I'd like to know.

http://spannerworks.net/reference/10_9a.asp
Read at the bottom at this link under DD EX, states it's not 6.1 discrete just 5.1 EX, basically a mono of rear channels in center surround.

Their isn't only dts-ES 6.1 discrete for cinema DVD HD-DVD and bluray. dts-ES isn't used at the cinema no more only the prints that are out there somewhere on 35mm. I doubt many was made for cinema, you might see the logo on the end credits like STAR WARS episode was it II or III episode 1 had SDDS 8channel in selected SDDS 70mm houses or the odd large screen multiplex.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 14:26 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

First of all ac-3,dts on laserdisc or any media are lossy and compressed. Ac3 on ld is more compressed and lossy then anything else at only 384kbps. (I.e 448kbps for dvd). Digital tracks are uncompressed and lossless but only in stereo which can give you dolby stereo at best.
Dolby truehd,dts-hd ma are compressed but lossless. Lpcm 5.1 on bd is lossless and uncompressed.
Yamaha and denon had dd 5.1ex receivers in early 2000. Denon had avr 5700(avca10 in eu) and yamaha dsp a2. The name was thx surround ex back then. Later in 2001 dts es/ex receivers were released. First home video media was sw1 ld with 5.1ex. Later there were many dvds, the haunting,terminator 2 ultimate edition had dts es and dd ex.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 14:53 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I was just talking about home releases. There weren't any 6.1 DD, just DTS 6.1 ES matrix or discrete. DTS was the only 6.1. EP1 wasn't 6.1 just 5.1 EX on LD/DVD, I see it listed incorrectly as 6.1 in a lot of places. I played my copy of Ep 1 LD and on my Denon AVD-2000 the rear mono surround channel doesn't light up, leaving me to believe all that is true.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 15:06 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

substance wrote:
First of all ac-3,dts on laserdisc or any media are lossy and compressed. Ac3 on ld is more compressed and lossy then anything else at only 384kbps. (I.e 448kbps for dvd). Digital tracks are uncompressed and lossless but only in stereo which can give you dolby stereo at best.
Dolby truehd,dts-hd ma are compressed but lossless. Lpcm 5.1 on bd is lossless and uncompressed.
Yamaha and denon had dd 5.1ex receivers in early 2000. Denon had avr 5700(avca10 in eu) and yamaha dsp a2. The name was thx surround ex back then. Later in 2001 dts es/ex receivers were released. First home video media was sw1 ld with 5.1ex. Later there were many dvds, the haunting,terminator 2 ultimate edition had dts es and dd ex.

Yeah, I know all that, just trying to understand how laserbite had a 6.1 setup in '98 (before any 5.1EX movies) and that some had said above that EP 1 was 6.1, just wondering. You can find a complete list of 5.1 EX/DTS ES at the link I provided.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 15:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

tomtastic wrote:
substance wrote:

Yeah, I know all that, just trying to understand how laserbite had a 5.1EX setup in '98 (before any 5.1EX movies) and that some had said above that EP 1 was 6.1, just wondering. You can find a complete list of 5.1 EX/DTS ES at the link I provided.

A cinema in Australia screened Jurassic Park with an EX type installation using a PanaLogic decoder in 1993. All that is needed is a pro-logic decoder to derive the center back - there is nothing at all special about it since its matrixed and decoded in exactly the same way as Dolby surround. I do not know how THX and Dolby ever got the patent for EX because it was obvious and clearly prior art.

Theatrically DTS ES was matrix only and all DTS discs of EX films carry the Dolby EX encoding. There weren't special mixes done specifically for DTS ES theatrically. Same with SDDS, the prints carried the EX info to be decoded by Dolby, Smart or DTS EX/ES theatrical processors.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 15:36 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

How would you decode the 5.1 AC3 from EP1 on an analog pro logic decoder to reproduce the rear center discretely?

I guess I'm just looking at it from what's stated on the LD/DVD and what most receivers can decode and not what theater decoders can do, however, If I play the AC3 track from EP1, I only see 5.1 not 6.1. If we're talking 6.1 it would have to be 7 discrete channels which wouldn't be possible from a 6 channel source (5.1EX). As for DTS, they appear to be 7 discrete channels (DTSES) from the ones on the list, I have a few of them on DVD. At least home releases, I don't know about theater.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 16:05 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I see what you're saying, they're both matrix which is why I don't think they're really 6.1. That would imply they're 7 discrete channels which it isn't (EP1). But DTS ES discrete used a combination of matrix and discrete technology to get true 6.1 at some point, at least as 7 discrete channels. It could still be argued whether or not DTS ES discrete is truly discrete as it's partially matrix from rear surrounds, but the digital signal is discrete when it's played back.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 18:29 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Dts ex is 5.1. Rear mono effect ch is matrixed into side left and right. Dts es is 6.1. Rear mono effect ch is is a seperate track on its own. When you play it on 7.1 setup, rear left and right are mono. Dts /dts ex/es use the same amount of data at approx 750kbps.
Dd ex was named "thx surround ex" at first. It was the same 5.1 dolby decoding but thx dsp would retract rear mono info in same fashion as dolby pro logic. Star wars ep1 was mixed in 5.1 but to be played on thx surround ex decoder.
Not much later thx surround ex name disappeared and dolby digital ex started showing up(mostly on dvds).

You can feed surround effect ch left and right pre out connectors(if your receiver has 5.1 pre out) into front left and right ch or and stereo input on another dolby pro logic or newer reciever. Your main receiver will output to left right and center speakers, the second receiver will power surround left , right and rear mono speakers from its left, right and center speaker outputs

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 19:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

About the Dvd, I took two random captures from the european Dvd. I can see some serious EE here... Even if I have a cheap LD-player (CLD-D505), I would rather watch it on LD than Dvd.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 20:03 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

substance wrote:
Dts ex is 5.1. Rear mono effect ch is matrixed into side left and right. Dts es is 6.1. Rear mono effect ch is is a seperate track on its own. When you play it on 7.1 setup, rear left and right are mono. Dts /dts ex/es use the same amount of data at approx 750kbps.
Dd ex was named "thx surround ex" at first. It was the same 5.1 dolby decoding but thx dsp would retract rear mono info in same fashion as dolby pro logic. Star wars ep1 was mixed in 5.1 but to be played on thx surround ex decoder.
Not much later thx surround ex name disappeared and dolby digital ex started showing up(mostly on dvds).

You can feed surround effect ch left and right pre out connectors(if your receiver has 5.1 pre out) into front left and right ch or and stereo input on another dolby pro logic or newer reciever. Your main receiver will output to left right and center speakers, the second receiver will power surround left , right and rear mono speakers from its left, right and center speaker outputs

No, there is no DTS EX, it's DTS ES matrix and discrete, with discrete being the only true 6.1 source available. At that link they say DTS ES matrix is 6.1 but if it's matrix just like DD EX, then it's also just 5.1. They're dong something different to get the rear mono to avoid licensing with DD, but still matrixed from rear surrounds, basically. DTS ES discrete is 6.1, I have a few DVD's like Gladiator, Final Destination 3 that are DTS ES discrete.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 20:14 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

How does the LD look in those same captures? Can you provide pics?

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 22:56 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

tomtastic wrote:
I was just talking about home releases. There weren't any 6.1 DD, just DTS 6.1 ES matrix or discrete. DTS was the only 6.1. EP1 wasn't 6.1 just 5.1 EX on LD/DVD, I see it listed incorrectly as 6.1 in a lot of places. I played my copy of Ep 1 LD and on my Denon AVD-2000 the rear mono surround channel doesn't light up, leaving me to believe all that is true.

Same here the flagging encoding should auto switch and it reminds me of Sensurround that used pilot tones to trigger the box to rumble your teeth lose. :lol: Several of the STAR USELESS DVD's don't switch it on the Yamaha and I never use the Yamaha I use the Dolby CP45 and do it manually the rack is right next to me, its like a USS Enterprise Uhura communication's consol. :mrgreen:

Only time I bother with rear back is if its a DVD dts-ES 6.1 discrete and and it needs to be decoded on the Yamaha only I hate the fader dial that is why I want to get all the 8channels wired though the Sony SDDS on one of the two AUX inputs because it turns me on I sexually turned on by sound. :mrgreen: I'd just re-wire all the inputs and outputs in differently.

So when it doesn't switch on automatically get the remote and do it manually, dts-ES 6.1 discrete never has issues its always Dolby-EX flagging!

tomtastic wrote:
How does the LD look in those same captures? Can you provide pics?

I could do one but would like it if it was easier. I'd have to recoded Laserdisc a few minutes onto DVD-RW then take the disc out of the other player/recorder and place it in the pc just so I can press (print screen) and get a capture of it.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 23:12 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I could run mine through here in a bit, just wondering since someone posted DVD pics maybe they had the LD's to compare it to.

Page 1 of 5 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next