It is currently 02 May 2024, 12:40

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Watching a older movie do you reach for the laserdisc or dvd
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2012, 23:29 
Just curious even though i may have the dvd of a movie i find myself reaching for the laserdisc. Also my laserdiscs are easier for me to find since i have dvds laying around in many places around the house.

Post subject: Re: Watching a older movie do you reach for the laserdisc or
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2012, 00:12 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I often lie to myself that LD has better picture so I should stick with it. My wife disagrees each time.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2012, 05:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

.........I feel your pain substance !

Most of my old movie titles are on laserdisc so it is no contest.
With so many obscure titles of old in my LD collection I see no reason to convert to any other format.
Friends will chide me about this however to no avail !

With the Titles I do happen to have on both formats, I still reach for the Laserdisc unless there are some offered extras I intend to view about the film. Deleted scenes,making of,and/or commentaries...

Thanks myrtle1beach !

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2012, 12:06 
substance wrote:
I often lie to myself that LD has better picture so I should stick with it. My wife disagrees each time.

Haha +1 :wave:

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2012, 16:05 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I reached for one of many STAR WARS copies last night/early AM hours of this morning http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/19119/113 ... Hope-(1977)

I like the grain look on this pressing and the little blob marks between R2 and red laser optical effect.

I think the Pioneer DVL-909 switches CX on automatically as there is very little in the way of hiss heard on the analouge besides from sounding a bit bright but I can easily trim HF LCR down along with surround high end.

I tried it with Dolby A-type it reduce some mild low level noise. Dolby SR beefed up the highs and sub bass extension.

0:12 when R2-D2 is stuck by Jawa laser-bolt that disables him and he drops over there is some laserdisc hum like noise without NR, with A-type switched ON it reduces the noise, with Dolby SR it makes it almost sound like digital.

I like the smooth Stormtrooper dialouge pan on stage left "someone was in the pod the tracks off in this direction" "Look sir, droids". :lol:

I like the R2 whistle at 0:19 "that how we become to be in your service if you take my meaning sir". wow 3db more R2 :mrgreen: with Dolby SR 3db-R2.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2012, 04:07 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Most of the time I reach for my remote and scroll down to the movie I want to watch, unless it's 3D. I don't even get off the couch. I can't remember the last DVD I played. Much quicker from Plex.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2012, 19:51 
True fan
True fan

I don't reach for either. Just change the TV to the HDMI input that connects to my computer. Open the hard drive with my library. Choose from all the titles in alphabetical order. Simple, no medium wear and tear issues.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2012, 00:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

wow, how'd you hook up the commercial dolby cp 500?

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2012, 05:40 
True fan
True fan

myrtle1beach wrote:
Just curious even though i may have the dvd of a movie i find myself reaching for the laserdisc. Also my laserdiscs are easier for me to find since i have dvds laying around in many places around the house.

Many public domain titles look vastly superior on LaserDisc. The Wheeler and Woolsey comedy "Hips, Hips Hooray" looks stunning on LD, but the DVD (from Digiview) looks like total cr*p! The original "Night of the Living Dead" on LD is of higher quality than ANY VHS or DVD release that I've seen. I have three different DVD releases, all of which look far worse than the 3M LD release. I need to get me a copy of the Elite LD release.

STAY AWESOME! :)

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2012, 10:43 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I consider the LD version the benchmark reference by which everything else is judged by......warts and all.
Since most of my titles are music there are not that many re-issues on DVD, and even fewer decent ones to collect.
Blu-ray doesn't really count if you collect music LDs as there are so few of the older titles currently available on that format.

The record companies only go for the cash cows and usually cram so much data onto a single DVD including silly easter eggs you cannot find without looking up tips online that you might as well be watching a 3rd generation VHS dub that was run over by a truck. Most people never owned proper audio/video systems never mind laserdiscs, so they will not be able to tell the difference anyway.

A music laserdisc played through a decent system is a hard combination to beat even in 2012.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2012, 01:12 
True fan
True fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
I consider the LD version the benchmark reference by which everything else is judged by......warts and all.
Since most of my titles are music there are not that many re-issues on DVD, and even fewer decent ones to collect.
Blu-ray doesn't really count if you collect music LDs as there are so few of the older titles currently available on that format.

The record companies only go for the cash cows and usually cram so much data onto a single DVD including silly easter eggs you cannot find without looking up tips online that you might as well be watching a 3rd generation VHS dub that was run over by a truck. Most people never owned proper audio/video systems never mind laserdiscs, so they will not be able to tell the difference anyway.

A music laserdisc played through a decent system is a hard combination to beat even in 2012.

I totally agree with all that you said.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2012, 08:57 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It really depends on the specific pressing.

One of my favorite movies is Cyrano De Bergerac (1950) [LV20822].

I rented a DVD from Netflix several years ago and it was pretty good. That specific pressing is tough to find now so I bought it on one of those "50 great movies" type of collections and...dang, that version SUCKS. This lead me to buying the LD which is top notch for the technology. Because this movie was shot for peanuts on b/w 16mm 60+ years ago, its not like you are trying to represent Laurence of Arabia or Fantasia or something. The LD does a great job, and might be the best version out there for all I know.

Then there are movies like THX1138 or Star Wars which, evidently, are only going to be released in f-ed up ways forever. In that case, LD is best.

However, if its a major hollywood production that was well taken care of and properly transferred, then I'd gladly take a Bluray. I recently bought the Criterion BR of Rushmore. There is no way on Earth LD can look that good.

DVD though...I have a real mental hangup about MPEG2 compression artifacts. I'll only do DVD when no LD or BR are available. I really dislike DVD.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2012, 05:51 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

cessnaace wrote:

Many public domain titles look vastly superior on LaserDisc. The Wheeler and Woolsey comedy "Hips, Hips Hooray" looks
stunning on LD, but the DVD (from Digiview) looks like total cr*p! The original "Night of the Living Dead" on LD is of
higher quality than ANY VHS or DVD release that I've seen. I have three different DVD releases, all of which look far
worse than the 3M LD release. I need to get me a copy of the Elite LD release.

agree, this is one of the many reasons i stick with LD.
something that is on bluray now might have better picture quality or even possibly audio BUT some lesser known film
would be given a fast release from l poor print.

also that elite night of the living dead is amazing, they start the film like one of the bad versions then cut to the super clean print :thumbup:
it was romero's own print that was used for the LD

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2012, 15:50 
True fan
True fan

rein-o wrote:
cessnaace wrote:

Many public domain titles look vastly superior on LaserDisc. The Wheeler and Woolsey comedy "Hips, Hips Hooray" looks
stunning on LD, but the DVD (from Digiview) looks like total cr*p! The original "Night of the Living Dead" on LD is of
higher quality than ANY VHS or DVD release that I've seen. I have three different DVD releases, all of which look far
worse than the 3M LD release. I need to get me a copy of the Elite LD release.

agree, this is one of the many reasons i stick with LD.
something that is on bluray now might have better picture quality or even possibly audio BUT some lesser known film
would be given a fast release from l poor print.

also that elite night of the living dead is amazing, they start the film like one of the bad versions then cut to the super clean print :thumbup:
it was romero's own print that was used for the LD

Yes, I remember when it first came out. There was an in depth article in Video Watchdog on every detail of it's restoration, transfer, and packaging.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]