It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:37

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: star wars ld's
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013, 04:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

so i got all the older star wars widescreen issues, funny that return of the jedi has the picture way up, no captions, however, a new hope is in a fox jacket with fox labels, but shows cbs/fox video

Post subject: Re: star wars ld's
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013, 04:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

newtolaserelie wrote:
so i got all the older star wars widescreen issues, funny that return of the jedi has the picture way up, no captions, however, a new hope is in a fox jacket with fox labels, but shows cbs/fox video

The picture is up because they used the Japanese WS master and the Japanese had moved it up to put the subtitles below, so fox just masked them. All 3 of the first WS discs came from Japanese masters - Fox just used them instead of doing new WS transfers.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013, 18:05 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

disclord wrote:
The picture is up because they used the Japanese WS master and the Japanese had moved it up to put the subtitles below, so fox just masked them. All 3 of the first WS discs came from Japanese masters - Fox just used them instead of doing new WS transfers.

That explains why my JEDI copy is that way, right, that's rather cheap I think not that it bothers me JEDI is the same as the release 35mm I heard in the cinema all the rest after it THX versions are not what you heard in the cinema, well some portions are but most of the dialouge panning in JEDI THX CAV / SE '97 / THX DVD / Bluray are not. Grab the originals on early letterbox editions while you can.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013, 18:57 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

for me the only problem i have are the english subtitles when Jabba is speaking.
back in the day i didn't care but now i sort of wish they were in the image so when i have it playing
on my projector i have to show some black on the screen.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013, 21:49 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

rein-o wrote:
for me the only problem i have are the english subtitles when Jabba is speaking.
back in the day i didn't care but now i sort of wish they were in the image so when i have it playing

Yeah it sucks when they put any text or subtitle below the black boarder.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2013, 02:18 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

i notice "jedi" has very little use of the surrounds, and the centre channel seems a bit louder.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2013, 02:30 
laserbite34 wrote:
rein-o wrote:

True, but I'll always take English subs in the black borders over inside the actual frame.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2013, 15:59 
True fan
True fan

disclord wrote:
newtolaserelie wrote:

This is correct. Because of this, all non-Technidisc pressings of that version of the trilogy have a shrinking AR problem. They typically start out at 2.35:1 and end up at 2.55:1 (approximately).

Technidisc silently corrected this flaw when it started pressing these LDs. Interestingly, they used an entirely different master for A New Hope. It is believed that this different master was later fed into the DVNR-1000 to create the '93 DC version of A New Hope.

The different master that Technidisc used was the IP used to generate the original '77 theatrical run. The '81 crawl was spliced-in and a different master was used to splice-in a subtitle-free version of the Greedo scene.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2013, 19:55 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

ucfmatt wrote:
laserbite34 wrote:
rein-o wrote:

True, but I'll always take English subs in the black borders over inside the actual frame.

All I need to do is take some black sticky easy to peel off tape and place it over the subtitle text on the screen.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2013, 20:02 
True fan
True fan

I believe that if subtitles were burned-in for the theatrical run of the film, then they should be burned-in for home video releases as well. For instance, Star Wars and Return of the Jedi should have burned-in English subtitles for the Greedo and Jabba the Hutt scenes, respectively.

Otherwise, I prefer subtitles to exist outside of the picture.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2013, 20:33 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I don't know what sick mind decided to have subtitles removed from the 35mm prints for home release, needs to be shot first by Han Solo on sight! :mrgreen:

Its only the TV shown runs or early very early Laserdisc or VHS or Beta tapes that have it in-tact.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]