It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 08:23

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Titanic (1997, James Cameron) - can't find fullscreen LD
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2013, 02:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

alien wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
I rarely want a pan and scan anything, but I will say that the increase in clarity on an SD source is HUGE. I have the P&S AC-3 Abyss and it is very very nice. The Abyss works perfectly well at 4:3 though, I wouldn't want something like Laurence if Arabia or Manhatten P&S though. That would just be stupid.

On a really wide movie, going P&S/open matte will nearly double the resolution.

Open matte is one thing, but pan & scan is another. There is a reason that Laserdisc went letterbox/widescreen even with the ramifications of losing some resolution on the black bars for the widescreen process to take effect. Pan & scan is normally not how the director intended you to see it, so in that case, especially with a format like LD, where the extra resolution isn't exactly going to be the difference of matching DVD or anything like that, I'd rather see the film how it was suppose to be seen with all the picture information on the left and right sides in tact.

Open matte transfers often look completely wrong, with too much headroom or space at the bottom of the frame - Images that look well composed in 1.85 can look sloppy and amateurishly done when seen in open matte. When I watch a film I want to see it how the director intended and anything but the original AR is not how it was meant to be seen.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2013, 02:30 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

disclord wrote:
alien wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
I rarely want a pan and scan anything, but I will say that the increase in clarity on an SD source is HUGE. I have the P&S AC-3 Abyss and it is very very nice. The Abyss works perfectly well at 4:3 though, I wouldn't want something like Laurence if Arabia or Manhatten P&S though. That would just be stupid.

On a really wide movie, going P&S/open matte will nearly double the resolution.

Open matte is one thing, but pan & scan is another. There is a reason that Laserdisc went letterbox/widescreen even with the ramifications of losing some resolution on the black bars for the widescreen process to take effect. Pan & scan is normally not how the director intended you to see it, so in that case, especially with a format like LD, where the extra resolution isn't exactly going to be the difference of matching DVD or anything like that, I'd rather see the film how it was suppose to be seen with all the picture information on the left and right sides in tact.

Open matte transfers often look completely wrong, with too much headroom or space at the bottom of the frame - Images that look well composed in 1.85 can look sloppy and amateurishly done when seen in open matte. When I watch a film I want to see it how the director intended and anything but the original AR is not how it was meant to be seen.

Fair enough, but between that and pan & scan, its probably fair to say that open matte is the lesser of the 2 evils. Overall though, yes the orignal aspect ratio which the director intended is the only way to watch a film faithfully regardless of the format or whether or not its letterbox or anamorphic.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2013, 03:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I totally agree with you Alien - especially if it's a true full open matte transfer that you can zoom to 16x9 to achieve the original AR. The fact is, until Blu-ray and HD sets came along, home video was all kinds of compromises of one type or the other. Now with BD we have higher resolution than a typical high speed duplicated and projected 35mm print can produce (projected 35mm resolution is about 700 lines vertically and 500 lines horizontally due to film jitter in the projector and the jitter added in the high speed duplication process - and anamorphic projection reduces horizontal resolution further)

Still, home video had an excitement in the 80's that I dearly miss.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2013, 08:40 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah, I do everything I can to watch movies at whatever ratio they were shot at. I was just remarking on the increase in clarity, which is considerable.

And yeah, I do miss the "specialness" of home video back in the day. Its basically a trailer park flea market of crap now. Even though the picture quality is beyond the dreams of a 1980s videophile, its nowhere near as fun.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2013, 10:39 
True fan
True fan

I think I have the fullscreen LD...

Actually, I'm sure!

I wanted it in widescreen, but now I have a collectors box on DVD...
So the search for a widescreen Titanic LD is over

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2013, 03:25 
True fan
True fan

laserbite34 wrote:
acuozzo wrote:
I just purchased a copy of this FS LD on eBay.

I'll post more information when it arrives.

That's wonderful. :)
Where's the link to the eBay sale and pictures of the LD when it arrives.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Titanic-LaserDi ... 7675.l2557

(Hint: Scroll down...)

It says WS in the title, but read the description and look at the images!

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2013, 16:50 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

acuozzo wrote:
laserbite34 wrote:
acuozzo wrote:
I just purchased a copy of this FS LD on eBay.

I'll post more information when it arrives.

That's wonderful. :)
Where's the link to the eBay sale and pictures of the LD when it arrives.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Titanic-LaserDi ... 7675.l2557

(Hint: Scroll down...)

It says WS in the title, but read the description and look at the images!

So this is what the cover looks like then. You need to update the LDDB when you get TITANIC sails in though the letterbox.

Also a good buy I bet it was like woman and children first with the bidding. :lol: "Winning bid:US $7.52" that is cheap.

When I did search a few days ago I didn't find anything under "TITANIC FULL SCREEN" I guess I didn't bother to look at all the sales and covers as I only saw the text and like seller states about miss-leading with wrong type-up for the sale.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2013, 20:24 
Serious fan
Serious fan

laserbite34 wrote:
Played disc 2 side 3 of TITANIC THX LD this morning did a quick 5min DVD-RW. The Full Screen super35, I have posted pictures URL to here and credited the other member.

This could be an interesting comparison, but your screenshot capture method is awful!

A good program to open the VOB and take proper screencaps would be VirtualDubMod. Or you could post the short recording for us somewhere to see for ourselves. :D

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2013, 00:23 
So your the one who out bid me on that? I just received a sealed one today that i won in a lot + on top of that i have another one on the way sealed because i didnt think i would win that lot of laserdiscs.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2013, 11:10 
Serious fan
Serious fan

acuozzo: how are things? :)

myrtle 1beach: looking to sell?

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2