It is currently 04 May 2024, 06:35

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Netflix VS LDs
PostPosted: 18 Mar 2013, 02:25 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I just got Netflix, and I could watch a movie every night and not deplete the selection, so my desire for LDs has waned due to this. Does Netflix change their movies, like add or take-away? It reminds me of HBO, where you have a hand full of repeating movies each month.
But,there are some TV SERIES i NEED to see. I have ALWAYS wanted to watch HEROES from episode 1-end, and also SeaQuest DSV, and there are some others I am considering watching. I asked on my Facebook what I should watch tonight, and the first response was Act of Valor, so that is what I'm watching tonight.
Anyone else here have Netflix?

Post subject: Re: Netflix VS LDs
PostPosted: 18 Mar 2013, 03:13 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I watch a lot of Netflix Streaming, but its no substitute for owning movies. The stuff just comes and goes at random and the selection is...well, its enough to keep me watching but certainly 9/10 of what I have on LD/DVD/BR isn't on Netflix.

Then there is the picture quality issue, audio quality (worse than the picture, IMO), and the fact that the only Multi-Audio stuff they have is Spanish and French dubs for Latinos and Canadians. If you want to watch most kung fu movies or anime in the original language, evidently you can go stuff yourself.

I love Netflix, but if anything Netflix has made me value my physical copies of things even more. They had F For Fake, which is why I bought the LD, but...now they don't have F For Fake...and they never had the crazy trailer on the LD or the commentary on the DVD.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2013, 03:26 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

In lieu of buying a $75+ LD of The Keep, I did a capture of the Netflix version. I think it came out ok accept the frame rate is lower than 23.97 so there's some judder at times, but in the very rare instance that I'd watch it again, I think it's fine.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2013, 05:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I like how signofzeta has put this topic in perspective here.

Being a biased collector with thousands of LaserDiscs it is easy for me to ignore Red Box and Netflix though that may change down the road if their content/selections improve.
When I look at what Red Box and Netflix are offering on the "MENU" it appears their selections are quite limited and lacking substance, ergo the quality of the movies just is not there for me.
Most of the titles/genres that I am interested in viewing are nowhere to be found in that medium.

So for the record from my camp, Netflix vs LDs is no contest. LaserDiscs hands down.......................

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2013, 05:52 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The only real advantage of Netflix which would have the technical upper hand on Laserdisc would be the picture quality.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2013, 07:22 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

alien wrote:
The only real advantage of Netflix which would have the technical upper hand on Laserdisc would be the picture quality.

If you are watching on a powerful enough device, such as a PC or a PS3, and you're on a fat enough pipe then...kinda. Still frames look great, but there is terrific juddering and stuttering during things like scenery pans. Also, credits can be murder.

It used to look really MPEG-y, they have fixed that pretty well on the better platforms, but there are still issues.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2013, 11:00 
Serious fan
Serious fan

so far, the resolution is fine. i have a 37" flat screen for now.
I just thought NEW RELEASES would be on here, but no Wreck-It-Ralph, not even AVENGERS...so, I dunno where those are.
I did enjoy a movie from 1979 that I have not found in ANY medium (VHS/LD/CED/DVD/BD/REEL):
"And You Name Is Jonah"
http://www.amazon.com/And-Your-Name-Is- ... e+Is+Jonah
so, yeah, I love RARE movies...and obviously a good cry.
I wish there was a way to capture it off the screen and onto a Laserdisc, I can't believe there's just NO media format AT ALL of it.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2013, 15:27 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

i have instant and mail DVD netflix.
it's really great and they do have a great large selection of all types on instant, criterion and even foreign films.
as for quality it's not the best but gives you an idea if you need to buy it on LD or DVD or not to bother.
i have a higher internet but still picture quality is really blocky at some parts in the backgrounds etc.
also when there is a quite part or i'm just on the listings i hear pops and cracks.

i like being in the 21st centry :lol:
you get a little bit of everything :thumbup:

but to answer above, yes they always take away and add new stuff :thumbup:

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2013, 16:26 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Friends and my brother have Netflix on their gaming devices. It's amazingly convenient for casual viewing, so much so that I might actually sign up when I decide to get my Xbox360 connected to the internet. I like it for the titles that aren't on DVD/Blu-ray which they usually have for viewing (this is how I saw Zombiethon and TerrorVision in all their amazingly cheesy glory.)

It certainly won't replace my collecting LDs, DVDs and Blu-rays though. When my friends ask me why I do that in lieu of Netflix, I reply with I'm not stuck with whatever version Netflix has on their service. If there's a different version available in another country or a release with supplements I want, I can get that if I so wish.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2013, 06:08 
True fan
True fan

I finally did the free trial thing and have had streaming+1 by mail for a month or two. I think I'll just go to mail only for the OOP and hard to find material because I'm not too fond of streaming and can never stop griping about the bitrates, improper ratios etc.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2013, 03:36 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

As a way to watch a variety of movies, quickly, and cheaply, I can defenitly appreciate it. Most of my freinds have it, and it's great for parties. As for me I don't have the means to get netflix, and I'm not really interested. If I need to watch a movie quickly and cheaply I have many other options to choose from

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2013, 03:56 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I'm watching SEAQUEST DSV thru, and it has all three seasons. None were put on LD and the third season apparently has never made it to ANY format! That's interesting to me.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2013, 04:46 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

there are a lot of instant films NOT on dvd, like above, The KEEP and more.
i've seen a lot of stuff that i haven't in years.
so in that way it's great, not as good as LD or owning it but to refresh the brain once in a while with a film
that you haven't seen in years is great.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2013, 06:24 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I discovered The Manchu Eagle Murder Caper Mystery on Netflix. It was never on any home video format of any kind in any region until then, after which MGM banged out a few DVDRs of it. I bought one of these "MGM Limited" versions and now it's gone from Netflix again.

I love this movie, and I never would have seen it if not for Netflix, but you can't actually watch it on Netflix...make sense of that.

Regarding the DVDR, the transfer is incredibly good for a movie that's been burried for 35+ years. It's amazing they did such a good job transferring it and then did such a cheap job not even actually pressing it. It literally has automatically created chapters, one every 10 minutes, just like if you made it on a home DVD recorder!

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2013, 14:45 
Serious fan
Serious fan

It's great for watching television shows, IMO. I rarely watch movies through it (largely because they won't have what I want) but I've watched most of the seasons of Top Gear and I'm going through the entire Mission: Impossible TV series right now.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2013, 07:02 
True fan
True fan

thewhitefalcon wrote:
It's great for watching television shows, IMO. I rarely watch movies through it (largely because they won't have what I want) but I've watched most of the seasons of Top Gear and I'm going through the entire Mission: Impossible TV series right now.

Yes, Netflix streaming is great for documentaries, television series, etc. :thumbup: Is a great cheap option to cable/satellite, cut the chord and go with free digital signal.
For DVD/BR rentals, Netflix is great source for ripping the hard copies to HDD's and watching at your own leisure. :thumbup:

Elvis

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2013, 10:36 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I have all of the Star Trek shows on DVD, but it's easier to watch on Netflix than get the DVD and load them. That's a great feature. Plus, I can watch them on my smartphone. I couldn't do that with the DVDs.

PostPosted: 08 May 2013, 03:33 
Streaming sucks, period. Laserdisc gives you good analogue video along with the nostalgic feeling.

PostPosted: 08 May 2013, 23:02 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I recently canceled my Netflix streaming plan as they continue to pull movies from the service with little warning. Not worth the money when half of my queue ends up with a red "expiring" next to their entries. :(

I still maintain my DVD plan, though. Massive catalog that has about 99% of what I'm searching for and I can always back it up to my computer for future reference. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 14 May 2013, 01:26 
True fan
True fan

This is what I did. I hated the streaming not having everything and not having a decent HD signal quality. Plus it hogs your bandwidth and many people go on at the same time.
I get all I need in the mail and titles that I can't rent anywhere else.

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next