It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 19:10

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Event Horizon - Starring ...the Coneheads?
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2013, 06:14 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I was getting ready to buy the Blu ray of Event Horizon and did a quick check and found this image (just as a comparison, as the entire movie would be this way):

From Blu-ray.com

Compare this to the original DVD release (which should be the same as the LD):

So if you didn't notice the difference by now in the top pic, in the forum for this title at blu-ray.com it's been discovered that the image has been stretched for this release (and someone also suggested the 2 disc DVD release as well). Also note, the contrast has been upped a few levels and has changed some of the gray tones and shadows to white (notice some of the blue is now totally white in this scene)--which I could live with as it does up the detail significantly, but I'm just not sure I can live with coneheads playing these parts!

They're reporting the Blu ray release as 2.35:1 which the framing does look correct at least from this image, so I'm not sure exactly how they've botched this one up. There appears to be more image to the left of the frame and possibly to the right. I tried to time the DVD capture to match the exact timing of this shot from blu-ray.com. Did they take a 1.85 cut from the master and stretch it to 2.35? Maybe they didn't use the original print? Also, there's been a re release this year, unfortunately, I think it's the same cut as the first Blu ray with this error. Don't get rid of your LD or original DVD copies just yet.

Post subject: Re: Event Horizon - Starring ...the Coneheads?
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2013, 20:51 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I saw this at least twice in Dolby SR-D and on the seconding showing days later the sub bass in the ABC screen 1, was totally knacked in! :thumbdown: Every time the subwoofer track kicked in, there was nothing but popping and crackling sound from the single JBL 18" behind the screen and it was distracting that lasted from 1998 till about 2005 when it appeared to have been fixed!

The scene you have to look out for is when Dr. Weir, stares at the ball just after Captain Miller, orders that no one should come into the room. The low end peaks at high level within near I think 40Hz to 70Hz?

I have the region 2 DVD its an okay pressing but the strobe effect lighting when the crew gets Justin, back in the airlock goes all pixelly between the frames.

Still its a cool Dolby mix. "Oman 666 in Space". :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2013, 12:48 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

What about this release; Event Horizon?
Is it just the same as the earlier release?
Why re-release it if there is no changes.....
The only thing I noticed is the new release is done by Warner, the previous by Paramount pictures.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2013, 17:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

That is normal. The actors come from France!

( ;) )

PostPosted: 05 May 2013, 10:32 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

this has always been the issue with Event Horizon on BD and the Special Edition DVD. The aspect ratio is botched and gives a vertically stretched look. i watche dit with a few friends last weekend and it just bugged me throughout. I need to pick up the original DVD release at some point

the audio is a different matter though. i saw it twice at the cinema and the special edition DVD / BD audio comes nowhere near the mix i heard at the cinema. the cinema was much louder and certainly gave some jumps (prime example was Weir's window shutter opening on the space station at the start. that was deafining at the cinema.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]