It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:31

Page 5 of 6 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2018, 11:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

That opening sequence in GI Joe the movie is so good though. Sure it makes no sense (why doesn't Cobra just fire missiles at it?) but glider borne troopers coming in to set charges makes for a neat looking firefight.

Was it Hama's idea to make the movie focus on those dumb genetically engineered guys? It should have been a straight war story. I loved war stories when I was a kid, I would have loved it. I loved TF TM, saw it on my 10th birthday at a cinema with my mum.

Always hated the TF TV show growing up. Hated how the autobots and decepticons would just line up and shoot at each other, usually with no effect. After seeing Robotech and Itano's genius sequences it just seemed like a retarded monkey had drawn the combat in Transformers.

I hated the toys too. All out of scale with each other.

I definitely loved the TF movie though. Not just for it's epicness but for Weird Al.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2018, 13:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I actually grew up with the Transformers Marvel comic, I didn't see the cartoon until I was like 20 in the form of the movie which I actually didn't like at first because it struck me as a bit childish and I was shocked by some of the voices (why does Starscream sound like that!?) but it grew on me eventually. I like both for what they are. The cartoon is definitely inconsistent in terms of what it takes to actually destroy a Transformer (we see characters go through far worse things than get shot in the shoulder and still come back fine), but I don't really care about that; it's the characterization that wins me over. That's not to say there aren't crap episodes, of course.

I actually took the time to watch the original GI Joe cartoon and the movie about a year or two ago and yeah, the GI Joe movie is nowhere as good, largely thanks to it's story - the "mystical" episodes of the series were my least favourite so it didn't do the movie any favours when they decided to just make it one of those. Ironically the episode "The Gods Below" was one of my favourite episodes, largely on the account of actually sticking to Egyptian mythos instead of casting the pantheon into boring "god vs devil" roles.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2018, 22:12 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The intro to the GI Joe movie should have been an LD Single. It’s the most brilliant and thrilling show since Guys and Dolls. After it’s done I usually shut the movie off.

My favorite things about the TF movie are the inconsistent greatness. There are so many *super* cool cuts in his movie. Some of the people working on it loved what they were doing and it shows in the final product. There is so much creativity that Hot Rod Transformers two different ways like it’s no big deal. This is what the GI Movie lacks. Well that and outer space, robots, amazing voice cast, Weird Al and a bunch of other stuff.

Some kids watch the show, learn about the toys, and then complain that they don’t match but for probably a number of reasons I knew as a kid that the toys came first both conceptually and in quality, probably aided by all the bootleg toy robots coming from every angle back then. I guess if you’re 6 years old and you never go to a store or have catalogs delivered to you then that’s one thing but I was 9 when GI Joe got rebooted in 82 and 11 when TF came out so I had more...agency or whatever.

Complaining about the scale being off is just...come on. Don’t you have any imagination? Or do you think because Soundwave makes no sense that he should have just never been made? A quality Diaclone era transforming car or MMC cassette is a work of genius design and craftsmanship. There were NO COMPUTERS used to make Prime, Prowl, Perceptor, Sideswipe, etc. No CNC, no 3D printing. All done by hand with drawings made in pencil or pen. Now hold one of this things in your hand and think about that. I was a creative kid, drawing mostly, and these things were inspirational. The comic was...OK but it had vastly worse art than the show and the show was not amazing. The movie and the toys that came before it are what are really exceptional.

A similar thing happens in the US with Machine Robo. The toys are brilliant and anyone who says otherwise probably collects sports memorabilia. However the TV show produced by Filmation and Tonka was so dumb and bad and weak it served as an anti-ad that make “Gobots” look like a knockoff when in fact they were an earlier product. The kid who hates TF continuity issues is never going to know the genius of MR/GB.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2018, 23:18 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Takeshi, I'm sure you know already but TF were 2 or 3 different toy lines combined and exported into 1 for the USA.

You had Diaclone which had mostly the vehicles and dinosaurs, Micro Man which had Megatron and others, and then you had other offspring Japanese toy companies
who made pieces like Shockwave, can't remember the company now but I did have an original 1st issue Japanese release once.

Even Omega Supreme was a Japanese smaller toy brand that they bought up to push out faster than you can say Transform.
Also Jetfire was from Takatoku recolored for the cartoon, how the hell did they get away with that one?? You had Matchbox releasing Robotech and the same week
you had Hasbro releasing Jetfire :crazy: :crazy:

Living in NYC at the time, wow what a time, you could pickup bootlegs, real Japanese issues and other stuff.

I remember going into a bag store and they had a Japanese Takara issue of Red Shoulder from Scope Dog :ugeek:

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2018, 23:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
A similar thing happens in the US with Machine Robo. The toys are brilliant and anyone who says otherwise probably collects sports memorabilia. However the TV show produced by Filmation and Tonka was so dumb and bad and weak it served as an anti-ad that make “Gobots” look like a knockoff when in fact they were an earlier product. The kid who hates TF continuity issues is never going to know the genius of MR/GB.

It was Hanna-Barbera, but I get the jist of it.

I actually watched Challenge of the Gobots a couple of years back and found it not that bad. It has some decent amount of world-building and characterization compared to Transformers and probably the only reasons I would think anyone would find it objectively worse is the incredibly silly naming conventions, which nowadays sound like the kind of goofy made-up toy names you would find within fiction. Ultimately I think it's more like Filmation's Ghostbusters - which I actually liked as a kid for what it was - that was despised by kids solely on the account of not being those Ghostbusters. Children aren't exactly the most reliable source for critical thought.

Then again, what do I know, my favourite era of Transformers is the post-movie period where they started phasing out those diaclone and microman molds in favour of all new ones. I also own four Filmation shows on DVD :oops: can you guess which ones?

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2018, 00:14 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Oh it was Hanna Barbara. It’s honestly kinda crap for HB standards of the 80s, much worse than Smurfs but I shouldn’t have confused it at all just based on how many new drawings it used. More than probably a decade of Filmation.

Four Filmation shows...

Ghostbusters (I agree, it wasn’t bad in some ways.)

Ark II (just discovered this a while ago)

Hero High (I own this, that’s the only reason I guessed it.)

Brave Starr (actually original)

Just kidding. I’m sure at least one of them is He Man.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2018, 00:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Well you got 2/4 right. They're He-Man, Ghostbusters, Bravestarr and Star Trek.

I forgot that I have the live action Ghostbusters from the 70's as well. Now there's an odd one. A friend of mine didn't even believe it was real, not even after I showed him the IMDB entry!

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2018, 00:50 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just viewed The Venus Wars and the UNCUT Japanese Import of T-2 ......

Truly a good weekend of LaserDisc spinning at my homestead ! (so far !)

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018, 12:38 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
I forgot that I have the live action Ghostbusters from the 70's as well. Now there's an odd one. A friend of mine didn't even believe it was real, not even after I showed him the IMDB entry!

Could you post up the link please? I couldn't find it.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018, 13:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

forper wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072505/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Fun fact, the 80's Filmation cartoon is actually a sequel to this one!

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018, 14:38 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Watched jin-roh on bluray. Very interesting. I think I need to see it one more time.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018, 16:19 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I saw Jin Roh once. It was pretty heavy so I haven’t been back.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018, 22:48 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I agree it is very heavy. It is a story oriented anime and a very slow paced one.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2018, 10:46 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

A few days ago I rewatched the italian release of "The Paper" ("Cronisti d'assalto" is the Italian title). I had only seen it once, when I had bought it 10 years ago. Nice film...

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2018, 06:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
forper wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072505/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Fun fact, the 80's Filmation cartoon is actually a sequel to this one!

That's cool, I had always thought the '80s cartoon was totally original. Guess I was wrong.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2018, 07:51 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

substance wrote:
I agree it is very heavy. It is a story oriented anime and a very slow paced one.

I have most of Oshii’s other stuff but I guess that one doesn’t have the levity of Angel’s Egg, the movie that asks the most depressing question of all time, “What if Noah faithfully built the ark and God just let it rain for all eternity and everything died?”

EDIT: I just checked and I guess Oshii didn’t direct this one, he’s credited for story or whatever. Direction was by Hiroyuki Okiura, who is more known as a killer key animator.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2018, 15:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

forper wrote:
That's cool, I had always thought the '80s cartoon was totally original. Guess I was wrong.

https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/02615/ID ... Prime-Evil

This Laserdisc is presumably the same that was released on VHS which would mean it's just the five part pilot edited into a movie, and it features the characters from the 70's show passing the proverbial torch.

I was thinking about buying it, but then I'd be paying international shipping on top of the disc itself and for what, so I can have something that I already own on DVD?

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2018, 15:34 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

signofzeta wrote:
substance wrote:

I have most of Oshii’s other stuff but I guess that one doesn’t have the levity of Angel’s Egg, the movie that asks the most depressing question of all time, “What if Noah faithfully built the ark and God just let it rain for all eternity and everything died?”

EDIT: I just checked and I guess Oshii didn’t direct this one, he’s credited for story or whatever. Direction was by Hiroyuki Okiura, who is more known as a killer key animator.

There is now a Korean live action remake on Netflix.

I started watching Death Note last night

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2018, 18:07 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:
...the movie that asks the most depressing question of all time, “What if Noah faithfully built the ark and God just let it rain for all eternity and everything died?”

Please excuse my total ignorance of other things film/director-wise etc. associated with this comment, but what if god did just let it rain? a water planet? What of aquatic creatures (it almost certainly wouldn't be a case of "everything died")? Actually, I'd really like to see what the evolutionary outcome of Cephalopods as the dominant life-form on this planet would be...

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2018, 01:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Lots of sea monkeys

Page 5 of 6 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next