It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 23:35

Page 4 of 4 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 04 Oct 2018, 10:11 
True fan
True fan

Finally got around to watching Return of the Jedi. No issues as far as I could tell. I completely forgot this one had the pan&scan comparisons at the end of side 5. Interesting stuff and actually made me want the p&s versions as well, but I'm sure I'll change my mind about that once it comes to actually having to pay for them. :P

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2018, 06:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Just viewed The Tale of Zatoichi 1962 - [DLZ-0144] - the original blind Samurai ronin on glorious Japanese LaserDisc.
B & W w/ Japanese dialogue.

One of my ALL TIME fav's .... Hai !

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2018, 08:34 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Nice, how's your Japanese? I've decided to finally learn it properly. After years of university lessons, a year on exchange and years working there I still can't watch a show without subtitles. Pathetic. My weakness is vocab (and laziness). I've started studying JLPT vocab daily with an app and my 1-2 year goal is to watch the entirity of my UC Gundam laserdiscs which span the movies to the 0083 OVAs..right now rewatching the subbed SDF Macross on DVD and picking out and noting SF and military vocab as I go. Should help with Gundam and the stuff I'll watch before that (Zambot 3, Heavy Metal L-Gaim). Basically want to own the LDs and watch every Sunrise show in my lifetime, pretty much the same dream I had since I was 15 years old...

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2018, 08:41 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

forper wrote:
Nice, how's your Japanese? I've decided to finally learn it properly. After years of university lessons, a year on exchange and years working there I still can't watch a show without subtitles. Pathetic. My weakness is vocab (and laziness). I've started studying JLPT vocab daily with an app and my 1-2 year goal is to watch the entirity of my UC Gundam laserdiscs which span the movies to the 0083 OVAs..right now rewatching the subbed SDF Macross on DVD and picking out and noting SF and military vocab as I go. Should help with Gundam and the stuff I'll watch before that (Zambot 3, Heavy Metal L-Gaim). Basically want to own the LDs and watch every Sunrise show in my lifetime, pretty much the same dream I had since I was 15 years old...

Envious of your ability - Congrats on applying yourself and learning it properly.
I understand very few words is all I can claim. Would love to fulfill a dream and immerse myself in that culture and learn daily through that method.
A very unique culture. Your not too far away Down Under !
Enjoy Macross and all your old movies forper ! Live your dreams brother !

Cheers !

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2018, 09:49 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

firehorse_44 wrote:
forper wrote:

Envious of your ability - Congrats on applying yourself and learning it properly.
I understand very few words is all I can claim. Would love to fulfill a dream and immerse myself in that culture and learn daily through that method.
A very unique culture. Your not too far away Down Under !
Enjoy Macross and all your old movies forper ! Live your dreams brother !

Cheers !

Yeah thanks, I squandered my chance of immersion by hanging out with Yanks, Poms and a German my first year there. I love you guys tho.

My third time there was for a long time, immersed but didn't study, just chased girls and products..so stupid..my listening and speaking got really good and natural but I never studied so my vocab still sucks. I can hear every sound and transcribe any speaker easy tho, I just don't know what they're saying...anyway hopefully that will change..

Speaking of Macross, I just watched episode 15..."Chinatown" and noticed some things lost from my memory..the 3 spies get drunk and shirk duty at the festival on the deck of the Prometheus.. cool. but then Claudia pays Fokker a visit in his quarters, a topless pinup adorns his wall, and then Fokker plays grab a** with Claudia before presumably getting some...extremely cool.

Some controversial themes for American kids in the '80s (Of which I was effectively one) tho..

So I brought up the same Robotech episode on Youtube. Seems the spies now get "charged" on "punch" and pretend to enjoy the festival to maintain their cover instead of actually getting into it (Japanese version). But to my surpise when Claudia visits Fokker it's all intact, the topless pinup on the wall, the grab a**, (but not the prolonged kissing scene that follows),.!

Really? The busty pinup on Fokker's wall in panties and nothing else got past US censors???!!! I find that hard to believe and don't remember it from when I was a kid , but there it is in the RT version on Youtube.

Page 4 of 4 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4