It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:25

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: LAST release pressings better than OLDER ones?
PostPosted: 28 Nov 2011, 17:35 
True fan
True fan

I'm not sure if because laserdisc had reached it's zenith in the late 90s that it meant the pressings and/or pq were better. For me, many were. The question could also be , how much technical advancement took place in those few years before dvd hit. I have some early discs that are easily on par with the later releases. Of course the year of the film and company are always a factor.

Post subject: Re: LAST release pressings better than OLDER ones?
PostPosted: 28 Nov 2011, 18:29 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Two major factors come into play. Firstly, the state of the art of film-to-video transfers was advancing. Many later LDs were made from High Definition masters, or at the very least from high-quality flying-spot-scanner transfers. Secondly, with the advent of digital-domain video recording & editing, especially D1, generation loss from the initial transfer to the disc master was avoided. This contributed to a consistently higher quality of the recorded signal, although earlier discs exhibited a comparable level of quality sporadically. It's really a shame that one of the most advanced plants was used by Sony DADC, which made really beautiful discs, but owing to its persistent chemistry problems, ones that didn't last.

Beyond that, I tend to assume that the mastering equipment & pressing processes improved somewhat, with fewer dropouts, less pit asymmetry, cleaner replicated pit shapes, &c, which would improve the quality of the FM output.

Post subject: Re: LAST release pressings better than OLDER ones?
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2011, 12:15 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I agree with the above on film transfer, for me there is a real improvement starting 1997, but the very late japan releases are for me the best transfers (although there are also late titles with bad picture quality - more likely to do with source material than the technology used)

For me Kuraray & Pioneer Japan releases are the best quality pressing factories, with the improved transfers it resulted in very good products

BTW Pioneer changed quicly from CLV to CAA mastering to have less crosstalk, however Kuraray always continued to use CLV and honestly their picture quality is superb

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]