It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:28

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: My late release movies I got in 2014....
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 19:43 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

This is the third year I've been focusing on collecting late release movies on laserdisc, starting in 2012.

I've been documenting the ones I managed to obtain at the end of each year.

My late release movies I got in 2012....

My late release movies I got in 2013....

This is my haul of late release movies gathered in 2014 which may just be my most successful to date.
I believe it is certainly the most varied. I haven't been too active on the forum in recent times as I
was too busy enjoying watching these and many other movies.

First some late PILF-28 series LDs. Actually managed to get 2 copies of Sixth Day so if anyone wants to trade let me know.
The Japanese versions of Simon Birch and For Love of The Game were the first copies of those I've ever encountered.

My copy of L.A. without a Map is missing the OBI. Would love to buy or trade a high quality copy of the OBI from someone.
Same applies for Gorgeous which is missing the OBI. I can get produced perfect replica copies of any OBIs I own - so good you will not be able to tell the difference between the original and a copy so if anyone wants to do some swaps get in touch.

I was really pleased to get the Japanese version of Gattaca which seems tough to find these days.
Also love the Jack Frost cover!

A few Japanese movies featuring Gwyneth Paltrow:

Picked up X-Files 7 Season vol 1, 2 and 3 boxsets for the equivalent of $1 USD for all 3!!
All are mint. In fact the Les Miserables Japanese LD shown in one of the other pics was also included in that price too.

Army of Apes 7 disc boxset is an absolute must have. I managed to find a pristine copy with everything like new. It was also very cheap.

Tarzan I located on Ebay.

No laserdisc collection would be complete without Black Christmas.
Very pleased to get not one but 2 Rugrat movies including
Rugrats: A Rugrats Vacation/A Baby's Gotta Do What A Baby's Gotta Do (1997) [LV837793] which until recently was thought to not even exist.

Particularly striking covers on this set of US releases:

Squeezed in a few late release comedies including another Rugrats movie:

Some late thrillers:

A few romance movies and of course the classic blaxploitation movie 'Shaft' on laserdisc which was released very late in the US.

Some further late teen 90's movies that no one ever mentions but are fun to watch.

A few excellent dramas.

A few left overs - I've now completed my Troma late releases with Toxic Avenger! The PAL edition of Sliding Doors is shown which is actually my favourite edition because of the high quality cover (Japanese grade) and more colourful cover which mirrors the original publicity photo used when the movie was being shown in the cinema.

Last edited by laserdisc_fan on 15 Dec 2014, 08:07, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: My late release movies I got in 2014....
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 19:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The Pallbearer has got an interesting Japanese title I see. ハッピィブルー (Happyiburū), does it have anything to do with the film? I haven't seen it so I have no idea.

Nice Laserdiscs you've got there. :)

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 21:45 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

nissling wrote:
The Pallbearer has got an interesting Japanese title I see. ハッピィブルー (Happyiburū), does it have anything to do with the film? I haven't seen it so I have no idea.

Nice Laserdiscs you've got there. :)

Not sure what Happyiburū means so cannot comment on that word in relation to the movie but it is low profile slightly quirky romantic comedy which is quite enjoyable to watch. Talking of the lovely Gwyneth Paltrow here's one more late release featuring her which I missed in my initial posting but purchased in 2014:

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 22:15 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Nice year for you! My buying is pretty much gone with the closing of Recubanchou =/ No more way to get nice japanese releases.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 22:37 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

johan184 wrote:
Nice year for you! My buying is pretty much gone with the closing of Recubanchou =/ No more way to get nice japanese releases.

Only about 15 or so of those were bought in Recobanchou. All the others came from various other sources so I think there are still plenty of other places to buy Japanese and US laserdiscs.

I must admit though the remaining titles I am still after are now getting very tough to find.
Realistically I don't think even Reco on a good day will stock any of them so I'll have to find them myself.
2015 should be an interesting year. It will probably be the last big laserdisc hunt year for me as I move on to other activities.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014, 23:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Hello Laserdisc_fan,

I am genuinely interested in the remaining LD titles that you are looking for to complete your most wanted titles.

Can you give us a list?

Kind Regards

P.S. Has Recobanchou finished LD business?
He was a good seller and all of the titles that I purchased from him were as described and also well packaged.
There are other well known sellers out their, and with a view to branching out in finding other good sellers in Japan and,
around the globe should prove fruitful indeed.

:thumbup: :D

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 00:03 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

benmbe wrote:
Hello Laserdisc_fan,

I am genuinely interested in the remaining LD titles that you are looking for to complete your most wanted titles.

Can you give us a list?

Kind Regards

I need to refine and update my wishlist properly but it will likely be more of the same type of discs.
So hopefully a few more rare PILF-28 titles I don't already own, some older titles that received late re-issues (either Japanese or US), a few remaining US only late releases, hopefully a handful of foreign Hong Kong discs that I always planned to add and possibly some PAL titles too probably also foreign. I also have a small list of about 20 or so music titles that I'd love to own which to date I've never seen. These cover lots of different types of music from jazz, rock, world music to j-metal. Most link in with what I've already obtained so are obvious gaps in my collection. These are proving really tough to find so I'd be happy if I even just stumbled upon one of them in 2015. It is fun trying to locate them though as I often discover other interesting titles along the way which I wasn't even aware of existed so it can be very rewarding!

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 00:21 
True fan
True fan

Nice pickups laserdisc fan. I used to love Kicking and Screaming.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 02:43 
Lots of great titles there. Happy to see Rugrats went to a good home.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 07:04 
True fan
True fan

As for me
Attachment:
bpitc.jpg
bpitc.jpg [ 126.14 KiB | Viewed 4752 times ]

Babe: Pig in the City (1998) [PILF-2769] :lol:

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 18:42 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

benmbe wrote:
Hello Laserdisc_fan,

Can you give us a list?

Kind Regards

P.S. Has Recobanchou finished LD business?
He was a good seller and all of the titles that I purchased from him were as described and also well packaged.
There are other well known sellers out their, and with a view to branching out in finding other good sellers in Japan and,
around the globe should prove fruitful indeed.

Sure there is, but lets face it, most of them buy the titles on yahoo and then just asking a higher price. I can buy it myself on yahoo. Urabanchou closed their business. They said that there where going to merge with Recobanchou and move the stock. But they havent listed a single ld since. But they sold loads on yahoo.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 20:10 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

This one arrived today from Japan so just adding in time for this 2014 list.

The final edition of Speed released on laserdisc in 2000 - Speed (1994) [PILF-2811].

Can't believe this sold in the past on LDDB.com for $100-$136. I picked up this mint copy for $1.90 USD!

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2017, 17:03 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
This one arrived today from Japan so just adding in time for this 2014 list.

The final edition of Speed released on laserdisc in 2000 - Speed (1994) [PILF-2811].

Can't believe this sold in the past on LDDB.com for $100-$136. I picked up this mint copy for $1.90 USD!

Can you confirm if this pressing has the LFE.1 and make sure you use settings on AVR set to full-range so that no bass from the LCRS is routed to the SW.

The first USA Dolby AC-3 release is same as the first DVD release with the missing LFE.1. The special edition DVD 2002 had the LFE.1.
Speed (1994) [0896785]

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2017, 07:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:

Army of Apes 7 disc boxset is an absolute must have. I managed to find a pristine copy with everything like new. It was also very cheap.

I need this so bad... :sick:

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]