It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:24

Page 3 of 3 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: The top 10 laserdiscs titles that still command the most
PostPosted: 24 Oct 2015, 13:58 
Serious fan
Serious fan

substance wrote:
I expect a shrinkage of about %50 or more on LD collectors when Disney releases the theatrical versions of Star Wars on Blu-ray and perhaps UHD Blu-ray. At least there will be very little new comers, only serious enthusiasts. You will see the net full of people unloading LDs.

Unloading happens all the time, mainly for reasons as moving to a smaller appartment and thus get rid of all at once. Or (record) shops that either closed or not but appeared to have had a load of lds as well they want to get rid of. The equipment, the players, you will see with a load of lds together in the sale. Or they need the mony that bad and are maybe forced to sell half of their household.

laserdisc_fan wrote:
Re-issues of titles on DVD or Blu-ray will have minimum impact on the collectibility of laserdiscs at this stage since laserdisc is long past its heyday and is not in competition with other formats. This is because one of the main reasons people collect them still today is because THEY ARE laserdiscs which makes them completely unique from all other formats past or present....

Funny you mention. I was curious about Howard Jones's video's on dvd, but still haven't bought it yet. I am still watching the ld's. Though a pity his early concerts aren't issued on dvd, especially Live in Japan, which was only available on vhs and betamax and way harder to come by than his 4 lds combined.

Last edited by svwees on 24 Oct 2015, 19:41, edited 1 time in total. _________________
My Laserdiscs
Philips CDV 185, Pioneer D925/D515/PD 707V, Sony CDP 301V, Yamaha CDV S100/CDV M777

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2015, 15:01 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Re-issues of titles on DVD or Blu-ray will have minimum impact on the collectibility of laserdiscs at this stage since laserdisc is long past its heyday and is not in competition with other formats. This is because one of the main reasons people collect them still today is because THEY ARE laserdiscs which makes them completely unique from all other formats past or present.

Also original pressings in any format cannot be reproduced with exactly the same packaging, same sleeve, same catalogue number etc once it has gone out of print. An original pressing from 1980 is just that. Anything produced after that is a re-issue with its own identity so its not the same regardless of whether someone may think it is or even if its technically superior - it is still only a re-issue. That's why a first pressing of an original Beatles LP is worth thousands today if mint where as a brand new sealed 180g repressing of the same album will never be worth as much no matter how long you wait.

People who think re-issues devalue the original releases don't understand the collector market and are often the first to offload their collections in favour of some new format that is launched. Most will learn the hard way that not everything that glitters is gold!

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2015, 19:00 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

svwees wrote:
substance wrote:
I expect a shrinkage of about %50 or more on LD collectors when Disney releases the theatrical versions of Star Wars on Blu-ray and perhaps UHD Blu-ray. At least there will be very little new comers, only serious enthusiasts. You will see the net full of people unloading LDs.

Unloading happens all the time, mainly for reasons as moving to a smaller appartment and thus get rid of all at once. Or (record) shops that either closed or not but appeared to have had a load of lds as well they want to get rid of. The equipment, the players, you will see with a load of lds together in the sale. Or they need the mony that bad and are maybe forced to sell half of their household.

It is very different here than Europe. I will dare to say %80 of all LD newcomers in the past 8 years was some dude who wanted to watch unaltered SW. Believe me, most of the serious LD collectors don't even post here. They just use the site to buy discs.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2016, 09:55 
Song of the South is pretty damn expensive too, with "Discount Laser Disc" selling one copy for 2,500.00...

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2016, 10:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:

People who think re-issues devalue the original releases don't understand the collector market

Oh there are plenty of examples of reissues devaluing the price of originals. In a lot of collectors markets. Including LPs, high end toys and high end clothing.

I mean obviously an LD will go for more if it is unissued on DVD or BD.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2016, 11:00 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

spiny-norman wrote:
Song of the South is pretty damn expensive too, with "Discount Laser Disc" selling one copy for 2,500.00...

That's a crazy price, I think it goes for maybe $70 most of the time. That still puts it at being a valuable LD but still less than the original price after inflation.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2016, 11:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The Japanese editions are in the $70-100 range depending on condition and obi, maybe a bit less if you're lucky. The Hong Kong disc is certainly rarer yet finding a potential buyer will take some time. Rather recently however it was sold at a Swedish video store which mainly has VHS and they're still able to make a profit. And somehow the film was sold for barely 100 SEK ($12) while the same guy asks for 500 SEK and up for the most common Disney box sets you can find...

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2016, 12:07 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I know a guy that has three sealed HK Song of the South. :lol: He did have contacts in that area 15-20 years ago, which is why he has (or had) a bunch of HK discs. Sold most of it now, though.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2016, 18:31 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

every LD above 100 is already a ridiculous high price

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2016, 16:35 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Opening this old thread again but does anyone else think that the price of LDs over say the last 6 months is starting to drop off a bit. I've been able to pickup a few decent titles on eBay for maybe half what I would of expected to pay a year ago or so. Might be I've just gotten luck or maybe people realized exactly what it is and what its really worth!

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2016, 16:31 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I second that. Managed to find several music LDs during the last few months that I've been looking for a long long time. Prices weren't even half as high compared to previous offers I've seen about two or three years ago. Don't know if the same rules apply for other rare music or movie LDs of course. And there were quite a few collectors over here in Germany selling their entire collections during the last few months including rare titles and boxes and what not so there's plenty of stuff available right now...

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2016, 14:04 
Honest fan
Honest fan

knatterbuechse wrote:
I second that. Managed to find several music LDs during the last few months that I've been looking for a long long time. Prices weren't even half as high compared to previous offers I've seen about two or three years ago. Don't know if the same rules apply for other rare music or movie LDs of course. And there were quite a few collectors over here in Germany selling their entire collections during the last few months including rare titles and boxes and what not so there's plenty of stuff available right now...

I collect rock/metal laserdiscs and I know what you mean.
Just a few rare titles are worth hundreds or dollars but in general, compared to 2-3-4 years ago, the prices are lower.
My collection is open so you can realize what kind of titles I mean.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2016, 23:41 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

spiny-norman wrote:

2500 is stupid, i sold one for 600 and it took 3 months for the guy to pay.
Also the sad part is this version on LD is just a PAL transfer and everything is at a faster rate :thumbdown:

So the Japanese by far is the best until something else comes out, and its cheaper :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2016, 02:41 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Man that movie is difficult to watch anyway. You aren't missing much not seeing it.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2016, 05:33 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It's true, it's a turd. It's out of print for reasons of political controversy but frankly it's only crime is that it's so boring. A total waste of a full budget feature.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

Page 3 of 3 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3