It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:56

Page 2 of 3 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: The top 10 laserdiscs titles that still command the most
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2015, 01:19 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

elviscaprice wrote:
If your a content only consumer. Buy as low as possible (doesn't matter what the relative cost is), make high quality digital copy, sell high. Don't hang onto a hard copy that will either deteriorate in time or plain lose market interest.

This mentality disgusts me.

nissling wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
Maybe that's what motivates you, but I have never once purchased a single thing just because other people want it.

It naturally motivates most people in one way or another. Think of it this way: You find some DVD for sale on Amazon for a cheap price and find it somewhat interesting, yet not enough for you to buy it at the moment. The DVD goes OOP and becomes very rare and expensive to find. Then you want it more. And when some people want one thing more, other people want it as well. The request goes higher, yet availability isn't enough. Therefore prices will go higher as long as the hype is there. That's the way of the market, whether you like it or not. Any businessman in any industry know this.

Is it truely impossible for you to undertand that there are things on this planet that exist for a reason other than for someone to profit from? Are you that...stunted?

When I got into LD it was unheard of to be able to sell any disc for more than you paid for it. Why would I now view LD exclusively as a commodity?

I honestly can't wait until the collectards move on to something else and you guys are upside down on a skid load of terrible Hollywood garbage and Whitney Houston videos.

Seriously. I'm not more interested in a DVD when it goes out of print. This never happens to me. Not once, not ever. It's possible that maybe I was broke when it came out and couldn't afford it before it sold out (ie: first Zeta Gundam US DVD) and this may result in me having to pay more later on the secondary market, but I do not want the thing any more than I did before simply because it's out of print. That's a diseased mentality.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2015, 01:21 
T2 in the box set is not expensive to acquire one these days but trying to find World is not Enough will not be 5 dollars regardless.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2015, 01:29 
As to your reasoning signo you could not give me a WHouston laserdisc I would throw it in the trash but the Pioneer Artist series with a Donna Summer concert is a keeper.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2015, 04:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Is it truely impossible for you to undertand that there are things on this planet that exist for a reason other than for someone to profit from?

Certainly not, but I cannot see why some people don't understand the psychology in wanting something one cannot have (because it's much more a subject of psychology than money).
signofzeta wrote:
Seriously. I'm not more interested in a DVD when it goes out of print. This never happens to me. Not once, not ever.

Just because it doesn't happen to you, doesn't mean it cannot happen to someone else.
signofzeta wrote:
That's a diseased mentality.

Is it also diseased mentality that a women automatically rejects guys who tries to pick her up while it's obvious that the guys are no challenge for her?

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2015, 05:08 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

That's an evolutionary trend. Easy to get mates are seen as weak. They were seen as weak when humans dragged their knuckles on the ground and slept in trees, and the instinct remains. It's a harsh reality for the weak would-be mates, but overall it makes the species stronger.

What you are describing is just petty capitalist greed. It's not the same thing at all.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2015, 05:53 
True fan
True fan

signofzeta wrote:
elviscaprice wrote:
If your a content only consumer. Buy as low as possible (doesn't matter what the relative cost is), make high quality digital copy, sell high. Don't hang onto a hard copy that will either deteriorate in time or plain lose market interest.

For a guy that just made a big stink about collecting LD's only for their mainstream rarity and not content, you should be happy about digital transfer collectors for content only. They won't be driving the market prices higher.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2015, 13:19 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
elviscaprice wrote:

nissling wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
Maybe that's what motivates you, but I have never once purchased a single thing just because other people want it.

It naturally motivates most people in one way or another. Think of it this way: You find some DVD for sale on Amazon for a cheap price and find it somewhat interesting, yet not enough for you to buy it at the moment. The DVD goes OOP and becomes very rare and expensive to find. Then you want it more. And when some people want one thing more, other people want it as well. The request goes higher, yet availability isn't enough. Therefore prices will go higher as long as the hype is there. That's the way of the market, whether you like it or not. Any businessman in any industry know this.

Is it truely impossible for you to undertand that there are things on this planet that exist for a reason other than for someone to profit from? Are you that...stunted?

When I got into LD it was unheard of to be able to sell any disc for more than you paid for it. Why would I now view LD exclusively as a commodity?

I honestly can't wait until the collectards move on to something else and you guys are upside down on a skid load of terrible Hollywood garbage and Whitney Houston videos.

Seriously. I'm not more interested in a DVD when it goes out of print. This never happens to me. Not once, not ever. It's possible that maybe I was broke when it came out and couldn't afford it before it sold out (ie: first Zeta Gundam US DVD) and this may result in me having to pay more later on the secondary market, but I do not want the thing any more than I did before simply because it's out of print. That's a diseased mentality.

I dont understand what you argue about. You know that this is the market, if there is not enough quanitity for all that want it, then it will rise in price. I would enjoy lower prices, then I would still buy the titles I want. But it doesnt matter today. I find it remarkable that you cant understand that people might want certain titles and are ready to pay what others is paying. You have yourself expressed how much you want the daicon ld several times, but not for the market price maybe. But you are ready to pay loads more then 95% of us in here.

Many cases its not about the price, but the guy actually want the title, price doesnt matter. And whats wrong with that ? If he got 100 usd to spare, I really dont see the problem. Is he better spending that on booze ? Atleast he will always have his ld. But you seem to have a lot of agression towards collectors.

Oh, and the reason prices are high and solid is because INTERNET! Before internet you could only sell to locals or friends. And they are many cases updated in what you paid for it mostly. And most people dont like making a profit on a friend. But with internet you can find that guy that really want it in Italy, and pays double. And since everything is stored online the next one wont sell it cheaper, then the price rise. This pretty much happen in all the collectors fields.

Maybe you should move on to something less capitalism, like bird watching. But of course if you want to see more birds you have to travel and pay airline tickets to the rich boys again, that only fly to gain profit you. You will also need a redicilous over priced equipment that got that high price just because some people want it. Maybe collecting leaves might be something instead ? 100% free.

I find it interesting that you hate the fact that someone will sell a title and make money on it. Even if I agree there is a different on a decent price or a robbery. But Im pretty sure your work place is driven by exactly the same idea. 99% of all jobs is driven by that you offer something that anyone else WANT or NEED.

Welcome to the world...

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2015, 15:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
It's not the same thing at all.

Oh yes, it is very closely related to eachother. Why would someone want something they can have for free when there's something everyone wants and costs money? A friend of mine paid $1300 for a mint copy of DarXide. Do you seriously think the guy who sold it tried to capitalize on my fellow rather than just asking the price people are willing to pay? I'm not saying that paying high prices for specific movies, games or albums are normal but it is a normal behavior to want something you basically cannot have.

I paid $120 for Radiant Silvergun on the Saturn, which is far above its MSRP. I once sold a 45rpm record for $400 that I found at our summer place but a guy offered me $50 some weeks earlier (and I obviously rejected the offer) . Am I a madman and a capitalist due to this, as these items apparently gets expensive whenever they're up for sale?

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2015, 16:43 
BRAVO, since you all have to explain it to signo as he or she does not know what they are spouting off about.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2015, 16:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I'm not saying that I understand why someone would pay $300 for a Laserdisc to watch it, but I do understand why someone would buy it from a collector's point of view. The guy who bought the 45rpm from me can find the same single on iTunes, Spotify or Youtube within seconds and he's well aware of that. But then, I'm both a collector and consumer at the same time.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2015, 16:59 
You can hold the actual item in your hand not just have it float around in space.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2015, 17:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yes, but for a consumer there are usually lots of actual items of the same movie/album/game available at much lower cost. If you're a collector it makes perfect sense in buying more expensive and sought after items (I've done so myself), but if you just want to watch Mission: Impossible 2 I wouldn't recommend buying the Laserdisc at its current price. Buying the Blu-Ray makes more sense.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2015, 17:12 
I agree but I don't need signo to belittle me for searching for the laserdisc.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2015, 19:41 
Third post and above
Third post and above

sorry for digging this thread up from the grave, just wanted to add that late Japanese movie release prices are vastly inflated on here.

The sixth day, M:I 2 etc have been bought on ebay for less than £200 in the past.

If anyone wants them at $1000 ea. i'm happy to sell ;)

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2015, 21:38 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

x68000 wrote:
sorry for digging this thread up from the grave, just wanted to add that late Japanese movie release prices are vastly inflated on here.

The sixth day, M:I 2 etc have been bought on ebay for less than £200 in the past.

Its been inflated and its also dropped. I doubt you actually get 1000 even here now. But even so, it was a long long time since you could buy sixth day for 200...

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2015, 21:42 
True fan
True fan

johan184 wrote:
x68000 wrote:

Its been inflated and its also dropped. I doubt you actually get 1000 even here now. But even so, it was a long long time since you could buy sixth day for 200...

I suppose it only takes two idiots, sorry I mean desparate bidders to put in stupid bids.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2015, 23:16 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

daro2096 wrote:
johan184 wrote:
x68000 wrote:

I suppose it only takes two idiots, sorry I mean desparate bidders to put in stupid bids.

Think the most scary is when someone with a little to much money buy a second copy coz he want to keep the price up (think the second is to cheap), thats a scary market.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2015, 21:37 
Second post
Second post

The Wraith
End of Days
Sleepy Hollow

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2015, 01:27 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:

Leaving aside the whole philosophical discussion over capitalism and collector/consumer behaviour; got a real good laugh from the comment above :lol:

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2015, 01:56 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I expect a shrinkage of about %50 or more on LD collectors when Disney releases the theatrical versions of Star Wars on Blu-ray and perhaps UHD Blu-ray. At least there will be very little new comers, only serious enthusiasts. You will see the net full of people unloading LDs.

Page 2 of 3 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next