It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:53

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Alien Resurrection
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2016, 08:40 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I keep hearing that one of the Laserdisc releases of AR is the only way to see the film in its proper ENR colour timing and that the DVDs and Blu-Ray are wrong, is this true? Also can someone offer a comparsen or 2 of the "correct" LD vs the "wrong" DVD or BD. This really has me interested.

Post subject: Re: Alien Resurrection
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2016, 23:51 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

i have the usa thx LD.....it is only 2 sides so it is not amazing ....but pretty good and natural colors

i can tell you it is better than the first dvd editión
but maybe you can go fine with last DVD remasters and Bluray..

i can certified it to be true with Aliens jap LD vs Aliens Bluray......the LD has whiter skin tones and better blue/green separation (composite rocks)

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2016, 16:25 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

alien wrote:
I keep hearing that one of the Laserdisc releases of AR is the only way to see the film in its proper ENR colour timing and that the DVDs and Blu-Ray are wrong, is this true? Also can someone offer a comparsen or 2 of the "correct" LD vs the "wrong" DVD or BD. This really has me interested.

You are correct, its the only home version to use a bypass master
Thx f***ed it up as usual tho so he pq is not amazing

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2016, 15:19 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

First print US dvd used the same Ld master. Dvd beats it but yes thx f***ed up both ld and dvd with dnr and ee(fortunately very mildly). I used to own the us thx ld and I actually liked it's picture. On bluray boxset, only the first two films got the good treatment, alien 3 and resurrection were ok transfers but nevertheless the best presentations available.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2016, 05:58 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Thanks for clearing this up guys. By extension, does anyone know why the later DVD transfers and the BD release did not use the ENR colour timing that the THX LD and first print DVD used? Was it by request from the director like what happened in very similar circumstances to The Matrix on LD/DVD/BD?

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2017, 16:26 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I captured the DTS LD (that “seems” to be different from the THX AC3 one), and compared it to BD.

Conclusions: LD has richer, punchy colors, with golden skin tones, while BD has duller colors, but natural skin tones; LD has more contrast, a bit more details in the shadows, a slightly increased sharpness. LD has more image on both sides, but less on the bottom, and also misses a single frame; this, along with the fact the image, even if correctly resized, doesn’t match with the BD due to some image aberrations (stretch and rotation) should mean they used completely different masters.

All these clues may lead to think that the master used for the DTS LD is indeed a silver retention processed print. Last thing: BD has the infamous magenta blanket applied all over it, even on the Fox logo; just look at fire, explosions, light flashes, reflections on water etc.

Comparison screenshots: top DTS LD, bottom BD:

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2017, 07:32 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

laserdisc.ws wrote:
I captured the DTS LD (that “seems” to be different from the THX AC3 one), and compared it to BD.

Conclusions: LD has richer, punchy colors, with golden skin tones, while BD has duller colors, but natural skin tones; LD has more contrast, a bit more details in the shadows, a slightly increased sharpness. LD has more image on both sides, but less on the bottom, and also misses a single frame; this, along with the fact the image, even if correctly resized, doesn’t match with the BD due to some image aberrations (stretch and rotation) should mean they used completely different masters.

All these clues may lead to think that the master used for the DTS LD is indeed a silver retention processed print. Last thing: BD has the infamous magenta blanket applied all over it, even on the Fox logo; just look at fire, explosions, light flashes, reflections on water etc.

Comparison screenshots: top DTS LD, bottom BD:

Wow, thank you so much for the screenshots!

The colour timing on the LD is way better. The BD has that infamous magenta push because its using the same old master as the DVD from the early 2000's. Many DVDs from around this time were graded this way and they are wrong, The 2001 special edition DVD of The Terminator is another example of this (of which the corresponding 2006 BD of The Terminator has the same issue). Thankfully the remastered 2013 Blu-Ray of The Terminator fixed this.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]