It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 09:02

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: My late release movies I got in 2016....
PostPosted: 27 Dec 2016, 18:01 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I've been documenting the late release movies I gathered year by year since I started collecting them in 2012.

My late release movies I got in 2012....

My late release movies I got in 2013....

My late release movies I got in 2014....

My late release movies I got in 2015....

2016 was another very low key year for me as far as laserdiscs were concerned. Sadly my father was terminally ill with cancer and died during the summer so my laserdisc collecting was largely on hold most of the year. I did however manage to locate a few titles that have been on my wishlist for a long time. A huge thank you to various people who helped out especially bullruckle, lasercamp, takou, mikematijevic, thekobos, firehorse_44, richard_g, mikeystoyz and Duff's Flix to name but a few.

First up was Ed Sullivan Show, The (1999) [PILF-2809]:

This is the only music release in the entire PILF-28 series of titles available so has very special significance to me as I'm a huge music lover - a beautiful 6 disc boxset only released in Japan in 1999.

Each disc comes in an individual jacket:

When all of the discs are removed there is a pocket at the bottom of the box that holds a paperback book about the show:

At over 8.5 hours long there is a lot of music footage to watch, some in black and white and other parts in colour.
I was lucky enough to pick this up from a UK seller in January on Ebay after a heads up from mikematijevic on this forum so thanks very much.

Whilst not technically a late release I always wanted to also obtain this other Japanese only boxset by the Monkees: The Monkees (1966) [VPLU-70215]:

This spans 10 laserdiscs with over 16.5 hours of episodes but the discs do not come in individual jackets which is a shame:

A closely related title that is a genuine late release I also wanted was the Japanese version of their infamous movie: Head: The Monkees (1968) [AMLE-8142] released on LD in 1998.

I also managed to add a few more PILF-28 titles that I was missing:

Great to finally get Crimson Rivers on laserdisc and also the Japanese edition of The Real Blonde which both seem exceptionally rare today:

I also got upgrades for a few I already owned that were missing OBIs or had better sleeves etc:

In addition I gathered a few other Japanese LDs - nothing rare but just ones that were missing from my personal collection but present in my wishlist. High Strung is probably Jim Carrey's least known movie in his career to date. The movie was originally released in 1991 so several years before he was remotely famous. After his string of successes starting in 1993 a Japanese release of this forgotten movie was eventually released in 1996. Don't buy it for Jim Carrey though as he has a relatively small part overall in the movie but its a quirky little film to watch which I enjoyed.

Also added a handful of US releases from my wantlist:

Until now I was still missing the last ever US release Bringing Out the Dead (1999) [LV335643-WS]:

A truly mint sealed copy of the US version of Bringing Out the Dead seems in my opinion harder to locate than the Japanese edition because it came in such a flimsy sleeve so the corners were often compressed or the sides split from the 2 laserdiscs moving inside. The copy shown is absolutely pristine but still sealed. I deliberately delayed buying various copies that turned up until a perfect one eventually surfaced after 5 years. It was a long wait though but worth it.

I also added one late release title only released in Hong Kong:

Post subject: Re: My late release movies I got in 2016....
PostPosted: 27 Dec 2016, 19:36 
Honest fan
Honest fan

If you call this a low key year...you located exceptional rare titles.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2016, 02:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Nice haul there buddy .......

The man with the golden net !

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2017, 02:39 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Some great pick ups! The Real Blonde is exceptionally nice. That seems to be insanely rare.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2017, 16:54 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Is that Little Mermaid rare? Like the cover, but I've never seen it for sale so far.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2017, 23:08 
True fan
True fan

NIL BY MOUTH...I didn´t even know it was released on LD..that would be one of my holy grails, independent UK cinema on japanese LD...wow, great score!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]