It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:50

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Alien movies - different color gradings
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 01:09 
Serious fan
Serious fan

It came to my attention just in this week (after I have them in my collection since, what? 20 years?) that Alien, Aliens and Alien 3 UK PAL laserdiscs have a different color grading from the US NTSC discs - yes, I know there are several NTSC editions, but it seems they are different from any other editions, including DVDs... don't know about Alien Resurrection, as I have only the DTS and THX AC3 NTSC versions - it would be neat if someone could capture some frames from the UK or other PAL editions.

Now, I don't know why; I recall a review that talked about the fact Encore used an high quality master for Alien, but different from the one used for the THX NTSC disc; probably the same happened for the other two (three?) films; in Alien 3, there is also a change in the opening credits, where Charles Dance (UK actor) name comes before Charles S. Dutton, as in all other versions, including the workprint...

If someone has some explanation, I would more than happy to hear that!

EDIT: so far, according to the discs in my possession, Alien has three different color gradings (NTSC US boxset - NTSC US THX - PAL UK), Aliens two (NTSC US boxset and PAL UK - NTSC US THX ), Alien 3 two (NTSC US - PAL UK), Alien Resurrection one (NTSC DTS and NTSC THX AC3, after a slight levels and saturation adjustment)

EDIT2: Video wise, Alien UK PAL has a very good quality, on par with the NTSC THX, but probably a bit better due to PAL higher resolution; Aliens (SE) UK PAL is a bad conversion from NTSC, tighter framed, softer and more pinkish than NTSC SE boxset; Alien 3 UK PAL is a bit better than NTSC, due to its bigger frame and color grading; still don't know if Alien Resurrection PAL UK could be better than NTSC, which is very good indeed!

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ]