It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:27

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Star Wars '95 Faces "discs manufactured in Japan"
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2017, 15:50 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Just curious if anyone has compared the 1995 US Faces set where the "discs manufactured in Japan jackets printed in USA" to the Japan releases of the Definitive Collection? (either the 1994 PILF-1757 or the 1995 PILF-2071).

Usually Japan has higher quality everything. I'm guessing only the early prints of the US '95 THX have the discs made in Japan? Two of my Faces has the rear sticker, one doesn't. All three jackets are in original shrink wrap so I know it wasn't removed.

Just wondering if there is any picture quality difference in the Japan-made US releases vs. the Japan '94/'95.

Attachments:
Japan.jpg
Japan.jpg [ 41.66 KiB | Viewed 1377 times ]

Post subject: Re: Star Wars '95 Faces "discs manufactured in Japan"
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2017, 17:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It's possible that the Kuraray pressing (which *was* done later - 1997) used SuperNTSC unlike the earlier one. I don't have any copies to compare though.

Post subject: Re: Star Wars '95 Faces "discs manufactured in Japan"
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2017, 19:14 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Just to be clear, while stuff made for the Japanese domestic market is often way way better than versions released outside of Japan, that isn’t to be confused with “discs made in Japan”. Lots and lots and lots of LDs released in other parts of the world have JP manufactured discs. They don’t magically become better just because it was made in Japan. The plants there would press whatever you gave them, great terrible, or otherwise.

What really matters is who was in charge of making the LD. Rot aside, the stamping is %100 meaningless. It’s the master that matters. There are loads of terrible Japanese pressings just like everywhere else. Where JP stuff really kicks a** is in the packaging and having the clientele who would pay for massive American and UK TV series, many of which didn’t see home video in their native countries for years and almost always with worse packaging.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]