It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:58

Page 2 of 2 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: I've never seen the '97 Star Wars SE's- until now Japan
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2017, 17:13 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I used to do a bit of fan editing (though never Star Wars). It was a really interesting process taking various different versions of a film, using alternate takes, soundtracks, scenes, subplots, etc, and experimenting with the edit to see if you could come up with something better or just interesting.

Most of the times I didn't come up with something better or interesting but it really helped me appreciate the art of editing.

On paper fan editing is indeed illegal, but in general studios only have a problem if you sell the edit or make it available to download. And in general people in the fan edit scenes; both the people who make and watch them, have bought countless versions of each film along the way. So yes it's illegal but it's generally tolerated.

I've never been able to enjoy any of the Star Wars Special Editions, I've still not even managed to bring myself to see the latest Blu Rays versions. I saw an early Harmy version and thought it was a good effort, and the recent Silver Screen restoration was just beautiful. I hope with all the current rumours floating around about Disney buying 20th Century Fox we'll finally get an official restoration; if only so we don't have to rely on fan edits and dead media.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2017, 23:32 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

hippiedalek wrote:
I used to do a bit of fan editing (though never Star Wars). It was a really interesting process taking various different versions of a film, using alternate takes, soundtracks, scenes, subplots, etc, and experimenting with the edit to see if you could come up with something better or just interesting.

Most of the times I didn't come up with something better or interesting but it really helped me appreciate the art of editing.

On paper fan editing is indeed illegal, but in general studios only have a problem if you sell the edit or make it available to download. And in general people in the fan edit scenes; both the people who make and watch them, have bought countless versions of each film along the way. So yes it's illegal but it's generally tolerated.

I've never been able to enjoy any of the Star Wars Special Editions, I've still not even managed to bring myself to see the latest Blu Rays versions. I saw an early Harmy version and thought it was a good effort, and the recent Silver Screen restoration was just beautiful. I hope with all the current rumours floating around about Disney buying 20th Century Fox we'll finally get an official restoration; if only so we don't have to rely on fan edits and dead media.

For my Fan Edits it's not really making the film better. I just like editing. Even goes for audio. I make my own custom mixes of old-school tunes. I'm just a picky a-hole on comedy....I don't like 1999/2000's comic relief that most people nowadays seem to enjoy. Call me a dinosaur I guess. But I certainly don't want to p**s people off by doing them. This is a laserdisc forum; I thought I'd make some friends as we are the outcasts still clinging on to a dead medium. Hate to say it folks; laserdiscs are dead. But I still love 'em. You know how many times I've been laughed at for even mentioning "laserdisc"..........

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2017, 06:20 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

How many times have you been laughed at for mentioning Star Wars?

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2017, 09:05 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:

How many times have you been laughed at for mentioning things you love? Sucks doesn't it?

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2017, 09:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

"laughed at for mentioning laserdisc" Hmmmmmm :wtf:

This medium is dead per the contemporary over the counter market place venue I agree. Has been for nearly 17 years now ....... Yet, I disagree that it is a dead format. Far, far from it sir ......

It is alive and well in MANY homes around this big blue marble daily and nightly ...........
Case in point - Look at all the laserdisc sales tally at the "recently sold" control panel here at the LDDB. This tally daily is just one clear litmus as to how vibrant and "alive" this media format still is currently.
Ask Julien (our site Admin), DaDons, LaserDisc Vault, or Duffs ...... Would they agree that the format is dead ? Perhaps they could weigh in. I will not speak for them.

LaserDisc is alive and well in my home. My son amazes his friends with vintage comedy, epic music, and most excellent science fiction from the days of yore.
As an international dealer, sales this year have shown my highest grossing year since joining the LDDB in 2008. A clear example that this format is not dead worldwide.

I will cut you some slack being a new(er) member here, however I would ask that you rethink your statement that you touted "laserdisc is dead". If it were dead I would not be in a dedicated forum challenging you
regarding your statement ......

Signofzeta asked a pertinent question ....... and apropos in another light as well ........

Cheers to the membership .....

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2017, 09:58 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

As someone who loves the format I wholeheartedly agree; laserdisc is a dead format.

Outside of the small fraction of a percent of the population of this big blue marble who obsess about it daily most people have never even heard of the format.

That doesn't mean it can't have a great community though.

Does this thread even have a topic any more or is it just another exercise in bashing the newbie?

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2017, 10:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Well hippiedalek, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Would not have it any other way.

To you it is dead..... To me it is alive and well......

I do not even know what this thread is about. I just read a post and found issue with a statement.
Would expect the same from any member who found contention with anything I claimed. In fact I welcome discussions in such a manner. This is called exchanging views and opinions.
My post was not intending to bash, only to query and share an opposing view ........ Is that not why this FORUM was created ?

I for one enjoy signofzeta's intense style of discernment ......

For the record I have never seen the '97 Special Edition remakes of SW and thus this thread struck my curiosity ......

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2017, 21:34 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

hippiedalek wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

How many times have you been laughed at for mentioning things you love? Sucks doesn't it?

Honestly it doesn’t happen very often and when it does it’s usually someone who has no idea what they are talking about (ie “Laserdisc is old and dumb” from someone who watches everything on a phone and refuses to see black and white movies). If they do have taste then it’s probably a pretty joke and I laugh along.

I think people who are primarily music fans have tougher skin in this area. I have millions of jokes about all my favorite stuff. “Sense of humor” is sometimes what it’s called I think.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2017, 04:07 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Just found this, pretty funny.
Don't judge me, the judge will judge you.
According to this no monies were exchanged :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120915/trivia?item=tr2015576

A few USC students took the Japanese LaserDisc and made their own edit of the movie. Contrary to popular belief, it does NOT cut out all scenes featuring Jar-Jar Binks, but does remove many of his sillier and more distracting moments, and makes many other minor tweaks. It became known as the "Phantom Edit". George Lucas requested to see a copy, and then Lucasfilm issued a press release reiterating that it is illegal to copy and/or edit a Lucasfilm property.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2017, 10:37 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Man, the "risk" thread was mentioned? Stuff of legend - with a good natured Bayview Duncan trading stories before he turned to the Dark Side of laserdisc player repair, alongside with posters like JamesMario from this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyAhMyDXr7s

This is all coded Kabbalistic inner-circle, SEELE Instrumentality Committee-tier lddb stuff, SW preservation edit guy, so don't be too freaked out :)

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2017, 16:09 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

rein-o wrote:
Just found this, pretty funny.
Don't judge me, the judge will judge you.
According to this no monies were exchanged :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120915/trivia?item=tr2015576

A few USC students took the Japanese LaserDisc and made their own edit of the movie. Contrary to popular belief, it does NOT cut out all scenes featuring Jar-Jar Binks, but does remove many of his sillier and more distracting moments, and makes many other minor tweaks. It became known as the "Phantom Edit". George Lucas requested to see a copy, and then Lucasfilm issued a press release reiterating that it is illegal to copy and/or edit a Lucasfilm property.

Ran across this the other day. Was looking to see if my amp (Sony str-de945) had a built-in RF modulator. Sony seems to think it's ok to dub your LD's onto a vhs tape. What's the difference in transferring to BD?

Attachments:
sony 2.jpg
sony 2.jpg [ 130.52 KiB | Viewed 3849 times ]

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2017, 02:18 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Well, Macrovision stops it, for one.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2017, 03:19 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:
Well, Macrovision stops it, for one.

Lucas and Disney are other ways of stopping too.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2017, 04:14 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

These aren't the Laserdiscs we are looking for.
Move along.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2017, 04:20 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I read the post wrong, sorry. Macrovision does NOT exist on LD. I thought this was a different question.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2017, 05:38 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

signofzeta wrote:
I read the post wrong, sorry. Macrovision does NOT exist on LD. I thought this was a different question.

Yeah used to run LD though VCR and it was never affected with image brightness raising and lowering except for some few early DVD MGM but all the other hardcore ones universal the picture had havoc with (video gain control).

Page 2 of 2 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2