It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:21

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: Question about Star Wars Episode I (lobby cards)?
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 20:56 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hi there!

I saw that many LDs of Star Wars Episode I are sold with 4 lobby cards:

I didn't found any information on them. Do you know if the cards are inside the package (in case of a brand new one) or a kind of preorder bonus given separately?

Thanks for your help!

Post subject: Re: Question about Star Wars Episode I (lobby cards)?
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 22:05 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

sunken wrote:
Hi there!

I didn't found any information on them. Do you know if the cards are inside the package (in case of a brand new one) or a kind of preorder bonus given separately?

Thanks for your help!

Know of the cards you are referring to & they are quite small, rather nice though.

Below is from a thread on LD inserts: collectibles inside, generally cards

Have had a few sealed (& opened also) over the years copies of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace PILF-2830 & a few of the sealed ones came with a small poly bag with some rather nice cards enclosed. Not sure of the exact numbers but apparently the first 5000 copies had the cards enclosed though another number I was given was the first 2500 only came with them, can anyone else help with the possible number that came with the cards? It appears that The Phantom Menace was the last big release/pressing in Japan & I was told in the past that at the very least 10,000 copies were pressed & given the numbers that are for sale at any time it must have been a fair number issued, perhaps more than the 10,000 I was quoted many years ago.

The inserts were not referred to on the obi or outer wrap so a nice little bonus when you opened the outer bag.

Cheers.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 22:08 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Thanks for your help!

So, if I buy a brand new one, there's a slight chance to have the cards inside? :D

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 23:30 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Yes & hope you bag one with the cards included.

Perhaps a nice opened one with the cards listed if you really want them is the way to go.

Good luck.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2018, 10:08 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

sunken wrote:
Thanks for your help!

So, if I buy a brand new one, there's a slight chance to have the cards inside? :D

Hi again sunken,

if you are thinking of buying the title sealed in the hope that the cards are included please don't as it looks unlikely that they will be enclosed but not 100% sure.

Was unsure about the cards back in the day when I bought the copies & am even more unsure now.

On this thread the info may help... collectibles inside, generally cards .

I thought the three "new sealed" copies I had bought years ago were perhaps sample or promo giveaways which included the cards though one of them did not have the cards enclosed. All were bought at the same time from the same seller in Japan who when I asked about the cards in a couple of the copies he thought 2500 or 5000 were given away when released but was not sure. The reason I thought they may have been promo samples was because I had bought a few discs from him (mostly F1 LDs) that had "LASERDISC SAMPLE" stickers usually on the picture cover. I had asked at the time a couple of other LD collectors who had bought sealed copies if they came with any cards or extras & none had. I now really think the cards may not have been included in shop sold copies & I have just been very lucky indeed to have found sealed copies with the cards included, still got a copy.

If the cards are a must have perhaps best to buy a nice "as new" or the like copy with the cards mentioned in the sale or listing.

It might be helpful if any other users here who have bought sealed copies that they have opened would let us know if theirs came with the cards as an insert or not, quite a few copies of this title in collections here - 501 when I looked - so surely some of them were bought sealed & have been opened so anyone able to help? If copies bought opened came with cards that info might also be of help just to let us know if there are lots of them around.

Cheers.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2018, 17:26 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

So you had copies that had the cards inside the shrink? I’m just curious because it sounds like packaging that would soon damage itself and that sort of damage itself should be evident on somebody’s copy.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2018, 21:06 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
So you had copies that had the cards inside the shrink? I’m just curious because it sounds like packaging that would soon damage itself and that sort of damage itself should be evident on somebody’s copy.

As mentioned before I was unsure if they were an insert for shop sold or perhaps mail order copies.

I thought when I got them that they were popped into these during packing for promo, sample or giveaway copies.

The original seller did try to provide some details but could not forward solid info - even the 2500 or 5000 figure was more of a guess than based on any accurate information I would think.

Given that most if not all laserdisc manufacturers provided a "total turnkey operation" it would not be unusual for non standard inserts to be included in whatever number if required by whoever was placing the order or request.

Some of the F1 LDs that I received with the "PIONEER LASERDISC SAMPLE" stickers applied came with inserts not included in the standard releases, they were usually promo or info sheets - nothing really special.

Out of over 500 copies of The Phantom Menace in collections here surely some were received sealed & have now been opened. Can any owners that got "new" copies please let us know if any came with the cards included or not. It would also help if anyone who purchased used/opened copies received the cards - I still think that they may have been a free extra given as a hand-out on purchase or perhaps if a mail order purchase then the cards were sent with them then.

Going back to the F1 LDs they often came with more than one insert, the most I found was four in one of the 1988 season issued discs. A card art print - a results sheet - a very thin sheet with images of cracked/warped discs + a PIONEER return postcard & they were in a standard issue not one of the "sample" discs. Never had any LDs that came with inserts show any damage caused by inclusions.

I do get the packing thing & insert sheets were usually quite large but given The Phantom Menace comes in a rather sturdy cover with stiff card, the gate-fold sleeve adding further support & the cards (even though small & may move about in the cover/sleeve) were perhaps 1mm total thickness packed including the small poly bag so unless packed in very high numbers in each outer it would be unlikely to have caused any problems as such.

One LD release that came with inserts was Cannibal Ferox on GRL-001 which had the "vomit bag" & a 7" vinyl record which came enclosed in a card sleeve. I have had 4 or 5 copies pass through my hands over the years, all but one of them were used/opened copies & none of them showed any damage caused by the insert inclusions.

Also the 1986 F-1 Review on MCLF-001 in a standard Japanese cover comes with a 297mm x 211mm booklet that runs to 24 pages so six sheets of paper folded in half with staples measuring about 2mm deep/thick & the two copies that I have show no damage whatsoever to the cover although I store the rather thick booklet outside the picture cover now.

The Phantom Menace cards - I still think that they were included in the sealed ones I got as part of a number that had them popped in as a promo or similar thing when released, giveaway or review copies perhaps. Other than the cards enclosed they are exactly the same as the opened copies that passed through my hands.

So of the 500+ copies declared in collections owned by lddb users can a few of you at least let us know if you got cards enclosed or not? Not that important but might help clarify how they were distributed.

Cheers.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2019, 03:53 
Site Admin
Site Admin

sunken wrote:
Hi there!

Took me a while but I finally found a sealed copy coming with the bonus cards.
They were taped to the front side (outside).

Got Darth Maul :-)

Attachment:
f65999.jpg
f65999.jpg [ 120.37 KiB | Viewed 2528 times ]

Julien

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2019, 03:56 
Third post and above
Third post and above

admin wrote:

Took me a while but I finally found a sealed copy coming with the bonus cards.
They were taped to the front side (outside).

Got Darth Maul :-)

Julien

Thanks Julien!

Good to know they were supplied outside (and to know I opened my 3 sealed copies for nothing...)

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2019, 08:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I purchased a new/unopened copy of Phantom Menace from Japan soon after street date circa 2001.

Definitely can confirm that there were no lobby cards present at time of arrival stateside of my unopened title.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2019, 08:51 
Site Admin
Site Admin

firehorse_44 wrote:
I purchased a new/unopened copy of Phantom Menace from Japan soon after street date circa 2001.

Same here. Might have been a store-dependent promo, or a "first day release" extra, a walk-in gift, who knows.

Julien

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2019, 18:08 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

There has to be a magazine ad somewhere that mentions the プレゼント. I guess it could have been unannounced but I doubt it.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2019, 00:16 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

je280 wrote:
sunken wrote:
Thanks for your help!

Hi again sunken,

if you are thinking of buying the title sealed in the hope that the cards are included please don't as it looks unlikely that they will be enclosed but not 100% sure.

Was unsure about the cards back in the day when I bought the copies & am even more unsure now.

If the cards are a must have perhaps best to buy a nice "as new" or the like copy with the cards mentioned in the sale or listing.

I really hope you (sunken) did not open your sealed copies on my comments as I fairly promptly popped the above on soon after the thread started.

As mentioned they came from a seller in Japan who had many "SAMPLE" labelled LDs for sale back then. At the time I was buying quite a few from him & they were all (the "SAMPLE" ones) being sold at quite a bit less than his other LDs for sale. Apparently the sample LDs did not sell as well as the standard issue of the same titles (around 2005 or '06) so I was getting the ones with stickers at great prices, the post cost was more than the cost of the LDs.

The Japanese promo "SAMPLE" thing is quite a puzzle on some titles. I have a few of them including a box set from a numbered release & it has the printed sample bit on the LD labels & a small rectangular sample sticker on the box but it has the release count number on the box side also so I have no idea how that works. Also some of the sample F1 LDs ('88 & '89 I think) did come with a bit of paper (text in Japanese) included which were not in the regular issues but they were nothing more than info stating that other titles were to follow, I do not understand Japanese & the seller helped with the translation on them - thanks Riko.

Again please don't open any sealed copies in the hope that the cards are enclosed, I would have thought that with it being the so called last major LD release in Japan & pressed in fairly high numbers someone here may have known more on this but no responses so far. Given there are now over 600 declared here in collections I really thought more info would have been forthcoming.

The cards came in the gatefold side that held the first disc, other than that they are identical to all the other copies that have passed through my hands - no promo or sample stickers anywhere on them.

Pleased you have got a set of the cards now.

Julien, were yours stuck directly to the front outer bag with tape or with an adhesive sticker type or gel on the rear of the small card poly bag.

Cheers

BTW just noted that there are a couple of copies for sale on here with the cards - one of them still sealed with the cards on the outer bag.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2019, 07:23 
Site Admin
Site Admin

je280 wrote:
Julien, were yours stuck directly to the front outer bag with tape or with an adhesive sticker type or gel on the rear of the small card poly bag.

They are inside their own plastic bag, tapped (above and below) to the front plastic sleeve.

Attachment:
IMG_5609.JPG
IMG_5609.JPG [ 104.41 KiB | Viewed 2466 times ]

Julien

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2019, 13:55 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

admin wrote:
je280 wrote:

They are inside their own plastic bag, tapped (above and below) to the front plastic sleeve.

Attachment:
IMG_5609.JPG

Julien

Thanks for that Julien :thumbup: .

The Japanese sample/promo/giveaway/bonus item thing is interesting but rather confusing at times.

Given the number pressed I would have thought there would have been more information forthcoming on this.

Cheers

Cheers

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2019, 17:47 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Well, %99.99 of the English speaking people who bought Ep1 on LD can’t read Japanese and probably weren’t watching the ads in JP magazines explaining how to get the cards.

When I try to understand something about a anime release I see if I have any issues if Newtype or Animage where they pitched the stuff. They usually will say “coming on 9/17/94 special present” or something to that affect. It’s possible the stuff was unannounced but I doubt it. Taping cards to the front is a little weird for Japan releases but putting them in the jacket just banging around without some kind of 12x12 carrier for them would have been very atypical. An actual “bad job” by JP standards almost. When I get something that comes with cards the cards are very secure and don’t add a random moving lump to the packaging.

It’s also possible they were never attached to anything, just given to store owners in a pile, and one guy taped some to the outer bag.

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ]