It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:25

Page 2 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dune (1984)
PostPosted: 01 Mar 2018, 01:56 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Sounds like a good childhood Tasuke :thumbup:

I have to say that the Blu Ray that is out for Dune is not the greatest. Many of the scenes look like they have dirt or grime smeared over the lens, which may have been intended, not sure. Plus the music, especially during the intro, pops in and out with a hiss, particularly on the right rear channel. Made me think my speaker was going bad.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2018, 20:42 
True fan
True fan

My introduction to Dune was several years ago , I was at a used book store and decided to pick up Dune Messiah, I chose it not knowing it was the sequel and more for the reason I was on the road traveling cross country and didn't want to lug too many huge books around, and chose it for size mainly. I did enjoy that book but never took the time to read the original.

So when I saw the film later on, having read that book but not the original I could relate somewhat though not entirely. I recognized some of the characters like Paul, Duncan etc. I had some grasp on the whole thing but not totally, having not read the first book it was still pretty obvious to me the story-line had been cut down significantly, that being said it didn't bother me that much since pretty much every other film adaptation does the same thing.

As far as a film in itself I do think it deserves more credit than it gets, As a sci-fi film and also a Lynch film, I think the combining of the styles Lynch used with the space sci-fi genre put a lot of people off, but has an originality for sure, plus it was a career starter for a lot of actors.

My original viewing the film was actually the pan & scan disc from my very first lot of LDs I bought, just recently I pick up a copy of the widescreen release and really enjoyed it, as others have said it's a solid transfer and lets face it, I think the film will have a dirty look to it no matter what.

Also I agree on the comments on the audio, The AC-3 track is pretty killer and makes it a worthwhile pickup for that alone.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2018, 03:29 
Serious fan
Serious fan

je280 wrote:
dunerider wrote:
So to switch gears to talk about some Dune LD releases. How does the transfer of the theatrical cut on Dune: Movie + TV (1984) [PILF-7297] compare to the transfer on Dune (1984) [43153]?

The image (& sound) quality is much better on the last release of DUNE on the LD format 43153 - a very good transfer. Apparently was announced as a THX disc but not mentioned on the cover - more details on the "additional information" on the disc page listing.

The Japanese release on PILF-7297 is packaged as a really nice box set but the image quality is on the feature (in my opinion) rather soft to say the least.

Just ordered Dune (1984) [43153]. I wonder how this LD transfer and sound compare to the widescreen 1998 DVD release (one of my first DVDs). Given the time frame, I would imagine pretty similar.

Also, it appears the Dune film is actually going to be two films: http://www.indiewire.com/2018/03/denis-villeneuve-planning-two-dune-films-1201937538/

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2018, 04:07 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

While I hate reboots this really needs one.
I just started reading the first novel, about half way through the index, can't wait to get into the actual novel and hope it won't drag on too long with the 400 pages.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2018, 06:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
While I hate reboots this really needs one.
I just started reading the first novel, about half way through the index, can't wait to get into the actual novel and hope it won't drag on too long with the 400 pages.

rein-o, enjoy the original Dune novel.... Gateway to an incredible epic tale spanning centuries in the far future.

(beginning of the story takes place in the year 10,191) ....

Herbert was turned down by a number of publishers before finding a company to publish.....
He had the first three installments and most of God Emperor of Dune mapped out before finding his publisher .....

Highly recommended read for all fans of sci-fi !

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2018, 17:34 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Just finished reading the novel, it was a little long in some areas that could have been trimmed, but in my recent years I think everything needs the fat trimmed in books and films.

Don't know if I will take on any more of the series, but the first one was a good read and very interesting.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2018, 08:14 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Dune is one of my all time favorite sci fi movies! However, my taste in sci fi movies is considered odd to most people. For instance I think Star Trek The Motion Picture is the best movie of the entire franchise, and I also have to admit that I actually like 2010 better then 2001.

I first watch Dune when I was around 8 years old and I instantly fell in love with it. I read the book in the 9th grade but it didn't have near as much impact on me as the movie.

The only real issues I have with the movie is the cringy, artistic, totally 80's portrayal of the Harkonnen. I have a tendency to fast forward all the Harkonnen scenes whenever I watch the movie

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2018, 14:40 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I highly recommend the TV miniseries "Frank Herbert's Dune" from 2000. I like it a lot better than the 1984 movie.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2018, 14:51 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

thefringthing wrote:
I highly recommend the TV miniseries "Frank Herbert's Dune" from 2000. I like it a lot better than the 1984 movie.

Agreed. Far superior in nearly every way.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2018, 15:04 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

hippiedalek wrote:
thefringthing wrote:

Agreed. Far superior in nearly every way.
The costuming is incredible. And some of the departures from the novel are actually improvements. For example, making Irulan into real character with interesting motivations, etc. was great.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2018, 15:52 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

pizmo wrote:
Dune is one of my all time favorite sci fi movies! However, my taste in sci fi movies is considered odd to most people. For instance I think Star Trek The Motion Picture is the best movie of the entire franchise...

same here :thumbup:

pizmo wrote:

The only real issues I have with the movie is the cringy, artistic, totally 80's portrayal of the Harkonnen.
I have a tendency to fast forward all the Harkonnen scenes whenever I watch the movie

personally, i happen to adore the film's visual style, right down to, and including, the Harkonnen.

oh well, different strokes and all... it's all good ;)

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2018, 10:50 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Of the miniseries, I always liked Children of Dune the best. Some of the production design choices of the 2000 miniseries never sat well with me. Still a good series though.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2018, 19:29 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Watching the 84 movie today, wanted to ask what others though about the 80s feel.

Wonder if this would have been better made in a different time rather than the MTV era that we had.
Before the Feyd and Muadib battle you had these guys holding some strange drum device that would have totally been in an MTV video of the time.

Also there is a lot of extra grotesque Lynch stuff in the film that just didn't need to be, like the milking cat deal and even the mouth gag for Lady Jessica which
had that S&M nodule for whatever reason that was for other than torturing the actress.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2018, 23:39 
Serious fan
Serious fan

It is likely nostalgia, but I enjoy the "worn" 80s feel of the movie. Doesn't help the film in any sort of objective manner, but for me, its enjoyable.

Sting was always a highlight for me. His performance is actually quite good considering he really is just there to look cool and help market the movie.

If you thought Lady Jessica (Francesca Annis) has it rough in Dune, I'd be curious to hear what you thought of Isabella Rossellini's treatment in Blue Velvet.

The film ends up suffering from not being enough Herbert to appease the Dune fans, or enough Lynch to appease the fans of the filmmaker.

That said, I unapologetically love the movie for what it is.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2018, 01:44 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I haven't seen it in years but from what I remember she was a character to be abused.

But Lynch's films are that way towards women anyway, or the ones that I remember.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2018, 14:51 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Yeah a lot of folks complained about her on screen treatment in Blue Velvet (Roger Ebert being one of the most vocal). Certainly for its time, that was a very violent, risqué film. Despite that, its probably the most straightforward Lynch movie, in the sense it has a very discernible plot.

Getting back to Dune. I think it was already mentioned, but it would be nice to see this movie get a special edition treatment once the new film comes out. I doubt Lynch would be involved, but I would think all these years would heal some of the hurt he felt he received making this movie. But he is famously terse when talking about his movies, so it is again unlikely he would have anything new to say.

That said I recently read Room to Dream, his memoir. There is a chapter on each of his films and there are some good anecdotes about making Dune. For one, Lynch wanted to cut a hole in Jürgen Prochnow's cheek to insert the tube that would expel gas during the scene the Duke is killed by biting down on the poison gas tooth. The producer (sensibly) balked at the idea and they simply positioned the camera to hide the tube on the other side of his face.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2018, 15:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

dunerider wrote:
That said, I unapologetically love the movie for what it is.

Amen.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2018, 14:46 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Although I remember being dazed and confused upon first seeing Dune in theaters (having been fed a steady diet of Star Wars and Galactica :oops: ), it gradually grew on me and I consider it a (misfired) masterpiece. I own the DVD with the TV extended cut, and although Lynch disowned that version I think it really gives the story time to breathe, and some of the supporting characters more depth. And I have the Toto soundtrack, which is quite incredible.

Dune '84 had spectacular visual design - everything felt ancient, as though it belonged to a civilization with millennia (or tens of millennia) of space travel behind it. And I thought the casting was mostly excellent - the characters looked and sounded like I pictured them in the book. The 2000 mini-series didn't do any of those things for me personally, but to each his own.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2018, 20:07 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

So after reading the original novel and then watching the film while its still fresh in my head, I am now watching the Matrix and can't believe all the similarities that
it has to Dune.

Or I should say all the things it stole from Dune.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2019, 02:52 
True fan
True fan

This is a tough one for me. I enjoy the movie for what it is, but with Dune being one of my favorite books, it leaves me lacking a bit. I don't think it's a bad movie, and I enjoy David Lynch films, but I'm lacking nostalgia for this one. That being said, I always like to bring up Frank Herbert and I were both born in Tacoma, Washington. Albeit 60 years apart.

Page 2 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next