It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:34

Page 1 of 5 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Highlander 2
PostPosted: 10 Jun 2018, 01:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Do any of these LD releases feature the fairy tale ending?

Post subject: Re: Highlander 2
PostPosted: 10 Jun 2018, 02:59 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I swear I saw this in the theater with my father.

But after reading about the story again on IMDB I can't remember any of it, it must have been that bad.

Sorry can't say anything about the versions of the film on LD, now I need to see if the library has it to watch again.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2018, 03:07 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Is that ending the original or one of the alternate cuts? Just looked, appears the be the theatrical UK cut. So check for a UK LD I guess. I prefer the Renegade cut.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2018, 16:04 
Serious fan
Serious fan

only this version has the ending you are looking for
https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/51013/UL ... Quickening

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2018, 17:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

giannis wrote:
only this version has the ending you are looking for
https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/51013/UL ... Quickening

And the only seller wants 999 dollars for it, is he trying to fix the Greek economy all by himself or something?

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2018, 01:27 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

You couldn't pay me to own this. My friend always used to call the third film Highlander 3: The Apology.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2018, 03:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I still need to check out the Japanese blu of the third movie. Apparently the transfer is way better than the German blu.

It kind of sucks that the Renegeade/Special Edition of the second movie has superceded the others; while I seriously doubt a lot of people would even want to watch the damn thing in the first place, let alone the much panned theatrical cut, I'd still like to have it for posterity. Apparently in addition to the above HK disc, the French laserdisc is also the international cut but is also letterboxed; but sadly, is dub only.

While I definitely understand why the director's cut exists, I can't help but to feel that there's at least a little bit of historical revisionism involved; I'm pretty sure the Zeist backstory was always supposed to be there, even before the Argentinian investors took over the production, and Mulcahy only changed it to some vague "distant past" setting because of how unpopular the Zeist plot turned out to be. The fairy tale ending, while probably even slightly more ridicilous than the rest of the theatrical cut, at least fits thematically.

Regardless of version though, I have to admit that Highlander 2 is something of a guilty pleasure. It has some good moments and in general it falls into that rare genre combination of cyberpunk and urban fantasy. I don't think I've seen one other movie like it!

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2018, 07:47 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I thought I had the right to ask whatever price I want.what Greece have to do with this???
My Finland friend maybe you need some sun dude to think straight

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2018, 09:18 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I've been searching for the HK release for quite some time but it's pretty elusive, though certainly not $999 elusive! If anyone here can help hook me up with a sanely priced copy I'd greatly appreciate it :)

Just going on running times I think the French and German laserdiscs also feature the international version, but both are dubbed in their respective languages, and the French one seems to be missing a few minutes (92 minutes instead of 96 when adjusted for PAL speedup). The Italian DVD of H2 also features the fairytale ending but again is dubbed and I hear it is missing two minutes. As far as I know the Hong Kong LD is the only English language friendly release the fairytale version got.

Highlander 2 gets even messier when you realise there were two European cuts; the fairytale ending then a later version that was exactly the same but without the fairytale ending. Possibly this explains the missing minutes on the French LD. I've been tempted to get them a few times to find out but I don't think my better half will tolerate many more copies of Highlander 2 in the house!

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2018, 16:32 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

takeshi666 wrote:
I still need to check out the Japanese blu of the third movie. Apparently the transfer is way better than the German blu.

I own the Japanese Blu of Highlander 3 and it's passable quality. Nothing special by any means but certainly an upgrade on the DVDs. I've not seen the German or Australian Blu Rays but judging from the screenshots I've seen in various places (https://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=5 ... 546&c=2264) the Japanese Blu is a far better choice. The German and Australian discs are both "The Sorcerer" version of the film (though I've heard they're both from a German language print so the title is shown as "Die Legende"), whereas the Japanese is "The Final Dimension."

I also own the Japanese Blu of Highlander 2, issued by the same company as the Japanese Highlander 3 Blu. It features the Special Edition of Highlander 2 currently available on Blu in USA, along with a letterboxed DVD of the USA theatrical cut of The Quickening.

It can be really hard finding out what versions of Highlander films are available where so I hope this helps :)

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

hippiedalek wrote:
Highlander 2 gets even messier when you realise there were two European cuts; the fairytale ending then a later version that was exactly the same but without the fairytale ending. Possibly this explains the missing minutes on the French LD.

It's like a requirement for a Highlander movie to have a confusing amount of alternate versions.

hippiedalek wrote:
The German and Australian discs are both "The Sorcerer" version of the film (though I've heard they're both from a German language print so the title is shown as "Die Legende"), whereas the Japanese is "The Final Dimension."

If only I knew which version is which! Doesn't help that they call one cut several different things, like "special director's cut" - which one is that? I've only seen the third movie once, on TV, and even then I haven't the faintest idea which version that was.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2018, 20:40 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

takeshi666 wrote:
If only I knew which version is which! Doesn't help that they call one cut several different things, like "special director's cut" - which one is that? I've only seen the third movie once, on TV, and even then I haven't the faintest idea which version that was.

Highlander 3 probably has the least versions of any Highlander films, and most of the changes are minimal. You've most likely seen The Sorcerer version as that's what was shown in Europe.

In the USA they got a version in theatres that cut down the sex scenes but these have been restored in home versions. The EU version is exactly the same but with some audio changes (one line of dialogue "all those years" instead of "400 years", and different music over the credits). The EU version had the full sex scenes but ironically they were initially cut for home versions, the opposite of the USA.

Then there's the director's cut which is the same as the USA version but with added CGI, including a moment where Kane inexplicably teleports from Japan to New York.

Another small difference is the colour timing, USA versions tend to be redder while the EU versions tend to be bluer.

Sadly I've not found an English friendly widescreen laserdisc of The Sorcerer (EU) version, they're all Final Dimension versions or dubbed.

...and that's the LEAST complicated Highlander film for multiple versions lol.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2018, 23:36 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

OK so to take this off track a little.

What has been released on LD or DVD of the original Highlander film??

I have these two.
From what I understand is that this is the directors cut Highlander: 10th Anniversary (1986) (Uncut) [25895]
And this is the theatrical release Highlander (1986) [ID6679HB]

But what is this cut Highlander (1986) [PILF-2721]

I'm just trying to understand and also get some of my common LD titles upgraded to DVD and have the special cuts on LD

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2018, 00:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:

I have these two.
From what I understand is that this is the directors cut Highlander: 10th Anniversary (1986) (Uncut) [25895]
And this is the theatrical release Highlander (1986) [ID6679HB]

But what is this cut Highlander (1986) [PILF-2721]

I'm just trying to understand and also get some of my common LD titles upgraded to DVD and have the special cuts on LD

So this isn't LD/DVD but the 30th Anniversary BD is cheap and loaded with content including a couple new interviews. I'd call it a must own for fans of the film.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2018, 01:21 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Thanks Gypsy, I've never really cared about commentary and when I do watch extras recently I get bored very fast of them now.
Just picked up the DVD of Heavy Metal, WOW I couldn't listen to those people talking about it in the extras, and I love that film and have watched it at least 100 times.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2018, 07:12 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

rein-o wrote:

I think what you've got there are the three main cuts of the film:

North American theatrical cut
10th Anniversary "Director's Cut"
International cut

This[ID6679HB] is the the NA theatrical cut which was sadly torn to shreds by the studio. It was widely released on VHS and LD in USA and Canada but has never seen a release on DVD or later formats as most people (including the director and producers) really dislike this version. It's got one unique shot and an extra dubbed over line of dialogue that havs never been used in any other version. Sadly the LDs are pretty awful, VHS quality at best.

The International cut is what most of the rest of the world got, except for France which got something in between. This is the cut that the director and producers wanted to be seen and features more flashbacks, characterisation and action. I THINK that the Japanese disc[PILF-2721] you highlighted will most likely be the International version as that's what was released in Japan, but it could be the Director's Cut given the release date and that my Japanese Highlander 3 disc features the USA Director's Cut of the Final Dimension rather than The Sorcerer. Does anyone here know for sure which version is in this disc?

The 10th Anniversary cut[25895] is more of a Producers Cut than a Director's Cut. It's just the international version with an altered soundtrack to try and make it fit more in line with the TV series. A line about the quickening has been removed, buzzing sounds have been added when immortals meet and the sound of the WW2 machine gun has been removed. They also digitally removed the wires holding MacLeod up at the end. This version is widely found in DVDs in North America, probably the best was the Immortal Edition.

I think nowadays the only version you can get in Blu Ray is the International Cut, and in my opinion it's the best version there is.

Lately I've been tempted to make a YouTube video (more likely a series of videos lol) about all the different versions of Highlander films, because they've all got at least three different cuts.

I hope this has helped :)

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2018, 13:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
Thanks Gypsy, I've never really cared about commentary and when I do watch extras recently I get bored very fast of them now.
Just picked up the DVD of Heavy Metal, WOW I couldn't listen to those people talking about it in the extras, and I love that film and have watched it at least 100 times.

Ha.

I generally don't watch them, but sometimes it can be interesting. Depends on who is doing it. I did enjoy some of the extras on this BD and the recent Princess Bride BD.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2018, 14:14 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

gypsy wrote:
rein-o wrote:

Ha.

I generally don't watch them, but sometimes it can be interesting. Depends on who is doing it. I did enjoy some of the extras on this BD and the recent Princess Bride BD.

Utterly off topic now but I'm not much of a commentary person either but Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn: Special Edition (1987) [EE3845] has a pretty great one, well worth a listen. And if you enjoy Godzilla at all then I highly recommend the commentaries on the Criterion Blu Ray of the original film (contains a commentary for the USA King of the Monsters version too).

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2018, 15:33 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Thanks for the info, would be great to see the video about the versions of all films if you had time and all.
I always loved the first film, I think we bought it in the discount bin or got it cheap new from a small CD store that sold LDs at about 25% off retail prices.

Real cult film, when the second one came out my father and I saw it but like I posted above I can't remember any of it other than a few things like the opera beginning.

The TV series was cool until there was strange stuff going on when that blonde guy turned immortal, that sort of lost it for me almost like the zeitst alien thing.

Very cool topic and glad to see that some of us can still start a unique topic of films and LD releases.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2018, 15:54 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I'll see what I can do. I've been thinking about it the last few weeks, then all of a sudden this topic came up! I have a bad habit of jumping on any topic where Highlander is discussed. I love it all despite everything but the first film being a mess, and I've always loved seeing alternate versions of films so this franchise is a gift for me! lol

Page 1 of 5 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next