It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:37

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: ST: Insurrection [LV335883WS] seems overpriced
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2018, 02:13 
Serious fan
Serious fan

There was a lot of changes done in the HD version that go unnoticed but when comparing SD to HD they are obvious and more so when you have them side by side. A good example. At the end of season 1 when Troi shows the database to the 20th century woman survivor found in suspension in deep space of her lineage over 400 years in the original SD version it's clearly the actors who played the 1st 7 Dr Whos but in the HD version it's now completely different. A lot of the visuals are completely changed and far more dynamic. But again it's not a problem as one was SD with information that was never meant to be defined or seen in HD so a lot of the changes were required to compensate for the higher definition. Two different shows in two different formats as far as I'm concerned. Nothing wrong with that. And makes for interesting viewing.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2018, 03:17 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Thanks for that!! (Episode = "The Neutral Zone")

There's an easter egg I never noticed before - not that I've ever actively looked, I'm not in the habit of analysing all the screen displays on still frames!! Reminds me of those sneaky frames some Disney animators snuck in! Now I wonder just how many more of these are hidden in the original video :clap: No doubt that would only ever be visible on LD never VHS/Beta video tape, and even on LD it's not like it's super clear. I'd assume the very much greater resolution of BD may be the very reason something like this came out, it might just be too obvious and copyright issues etc., or maybe it wasn't included in the preserved film elements so they just had to make it up again and weren't aware of this little hidden gem?? You have to admit though that things like that are so minor and in no way affect the overall presentation as cool as they might be!

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2018, 06:03 
Honest fan
Honest fan

audioboyz1973 wrote:
Room alright! On LD I have the complete US and Japan releases of both the original series and TNG (plus the US box set of the animated OS). Add to that the 5 season Japanese releases of DS9 and Voyager. Then also the AU DVD releases of OS/TNG/DS9/VGR/Enterprise in packaging that just kills the boring US cardboard sleeves, plus OS Animated in a similar plastic case that nicely meshes to the AU OS boxes but I recall we had to order from overseas??

Then of course the OS and TNG BD's too (minor space by comparison!).

I still really like to pull out the LD's and see TNG how I remember it - even when blown up to big screen projector size! But let's face it, despite this being shot on film it was edited together on SD video of the era. What I really love about the BD's of TNG is how much they were something of a labour of love by the Okuda's and no doubt many others. The show was edited on SD video and they quickly realised upscaling for BD just wasn't going to cut it. So they went back to all the original film elements and scanned those in HD and then re-edited the show back together. And so far as these things go they stayed remarkably true to the originals, as far as they could scanning all the original film elements for the special effects and re-compositing them to produce visuals remarkably true to the originals (entirely true just with better compositing techniques in most cases).

Some elements needed to be recreated in HD video to match the quality of the new film scans but for the most part the only one that really stood out to me was the crystalline entity, which even despite the majorly increased detail of modern CGI managed to hold true enough to the original CGI effect. As far as I'm concerned if you want to criticise the TNG BD's for not being faithful to the originals then you're probably the kind of 'head in the sand' idiot who still thinks LD is the ultimate home video format capable of the most 'filmic' presentation ever.

On OS the PQ upgrade from the LD and most particularly the DVD is less pronounced - presumably because that was a 'film all the way' enterprise from the start (pun intended now I realise I made it!). The OS BD's do have a totally upgraded modern CGI element for all the ship externals and some other things though; which some understandably hate. What I like about it though is that you do have the option of playing the episodes back with all the original effects too. The best of both worlds if you like - oh dear another trek pun.

For me when talking Star Trek on LD vs BD one is not 'better' than the other in an absolute way. It's a question of what elements of the experience I want to emphasise on that particular viewing and I enjoy each whenever I watch them.

How much did all those season of star trek on LD cost you? If you don't mind me asking

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2018, 09:53 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Back in the early 90's when I was 18, started collecting the TNG discs new. An American guy living here was bringing them in and it was costing $50(AU) a disc, expensive for someone on a junior wage. But boy were those discs well watched! Got about half way through season 3 when I went back to uni to do a degree and so no more buying LD's. By the time I finished the degree LD was dead as a format.

A few years back picked up the complete TNG set off ebay for $200AU. Thought that was pretty good. Maybe in the states you could score it cheaper but here opportunities to pick up a complete set are limited to say the least! It cost $100 to ship and they packed the whole lot in one box with absolutely no additional protection. Remember seeing it sitting on the doorstep with one of the sides torn open and the discs visible. Remarkably the worst damage was a couple of very minor corner dings to a few covers, otherwise they are all in excellent condition.

The OS set also came from ebay, but cost more for less discs at $330AU. The Japanese TNG box sets cost me $5 each off YJP (the shipping cost quite a bit more!!). DS9 was $6.50 each and Voyager also $6.50 each. I waited for full sets to come up for a good price in each case.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2018, 12:26 
Serious fan
Serious fan

If I remember rightly the Star Trek episode where Beverly Crusher mets a ghost in the family is missing 5 minutes of footage (a mistake) which is only on the Japanese box set. And Yes the LD is the best way to go to enjoy the Series in SD. Quality and detail is way above the DVD. Especially from season 3 onwards. It's rare now the box sets come up and when they do Silly money.

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2