It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 05:07

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Promo Lights Clip! series of music laserdiscs
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2012, 12:09 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

There is an interesting series of music laserdiscs which begin with Promo Lights Clip! in their title.
They cover all kinds of different music from Pop, Rap, Rock, Britpop, Soul, R&B, Dance and Love ballads etc.

They were released on laserdisc, DVD and VCD.
The DVD versions are probably the rarest of all to find these days with laserdisc second rarest and VCD the easiest and also cheapest to locate.

These are the titles that are currently listed in LDDB.com however more may exist:
http://www.lddb.com/search.php?search=p ... sort=title

Looking at my own collection I have 16 of the 18 laserdisc titles currently listed so am still searching for a few:

The rap titles all came with parental advisory notice on the front cover (little warning bottom right) due to the nature of the video content which you would definitely not see showing on MTV!

Dance 2 LD seems to prone to laser rot so always ask seller to confirm for you. The others seem ok.

Towards the end of the series they released an anniversary edition and also started to release select compilations from the series etc:

I was able to fill some of the gaps in my laserdisc collection by getting hold of the DVDs and/or VCDs as shown which also appear to continue the series after the laserdisc versions ceased to be produced:

Here is an example of a VCD version from the same series:

Although each laserdisc tended to only feature about 8 or so music videos (possibly to keep licensing costs down) they usually featured more obscure tracks that are not easy to find elsewhere. For example I had the CDs of bands like Vertical Hold and Zhane who are not that well known (at least in the UK) so I was really pleased to find these laserdiscs featured some videos by those artists as that is exactly what I listen to!

Post subject: Re: Promo Lights Clip! series of music laserdiscs
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 21:01 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

At the time I first published details of the Promo Lights Clip! laserdiscs I was missing Hits 3 from this series.

Recently located a copy from the UK:

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2012, 07:02 
True fan
True fan

Interesting, just never found the content on these releases all that compelling, especially considering the price. If you could find them for under $10, be worth it. Otherwise the occasional vid I would be interested in are available from other sources.
Elvis

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2012, 09:35 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

The quantity of videos included per disc was disappointing - only 8 typically where as some of the The Box or ETV promo series LDs were coming with up 32 videos per disc.
I still like the content from this series though - lots of uncensored videos in the RAP trilogy and other rare stuff that is tough to find in a high quality format.

PostPosted: 06 May 2017, 08:32 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Located two more titles from this series on Laserdisc a while ago which I am only getting round to adding now:

I was aware of the Love one but had not known about the existence of the Dance 3 until fairly recently.
It contains a few hidden gems. That brings the total to 20 Laserdiscs to collect in this series as Smooth Vibe 2 is also available on LD.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]