It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 03:13

Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Forgotten 80's metal/rock bands on laserdisc
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2013, 09:10 
Hi laserdisc fan have you by any chance got any Motley crue laserdiscs main one of interest decade of decadence i am a huge crue fan is it worth a pick up also did you ever get the chance to see any of these bands in the 80's first one i saw was ozzy at the Liverpool Empire around 82 also saw the Crue on the pain tour in 86 cheap trick opened only now decided to start picking up some music laserdiscs would pay just about anything to see video of motley crue opening Donington in1984 stuff of legend

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2013, 13:09 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

gunsnroses1972 wrote:
Hi laserdisc fan have you by any chance got any Motley crue laserdiscs main one of interest decade of decadence i am a huge crue fan is it worth a pick up also did you ever get the chance to see any of these bands in the 80's first one i saw was ozzy at the Liverpool Empire around 82 also saw the Crue on the pain tour in 86 cheap trick opened only now decided to start picking up some music laserdiscs would pay just about anything to see video of motley crue opening Donington in1984 stuff of legend

Hi - yes I have all the Motley Crue Laserdiscs. I love that band. The only reason for not lumping them under this category is that they were one of the most successful rock bands of the 80's so don't fit under the category of 'forgotten'. Those guys sold tonnes of albums in the 80's. They might have partied hard but they also worked incredibly hard too as reflected by the very strict regime of always releasing a new album every 2 years. I don't know any other band that could consistently release decent albums in 1981, 1983, 1985, 1987 and 1989 with sales increasing year on year and no drop in quality. Even AC/DC floundered in the 80's with some very mediocre albums in 1983 and 1985. The Crue are bona fide legends today and deserve a separate thread all of their own........watch this space..........

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2015, 20:18 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Most people who follow the music scene will have heard of the series of movies produced by Penelope Spheeris called the Decline Of Western Civilisation I, II and III. Part I (available on US laserdisc) was a documentary about the LA punk rock sceen in 1979-1980. Part II (also available on Japanese laserdisc) called The Metal Years documented the LA heavy metal scene from 1986-88 so is an ideal candidate for this thread. Part III detailed the gutter punk scene from the late 90's but unfortunately did not make it onto laserdisc. The trilogy was finally released on DVD for the first time and also Blu-ray very recently.

The original Part I and II laserdisc versions are shown below:

What most of you may not know is there a very closely related movie called Thunder & Mud also produced by Penelope Spheeris from 1990 that features hair metal bands from that same period. This treasure also made it to laserdisc and has never been re-issued on later formats.

It features a combination of girls mud wrestling and live (fake) performances by the following real metal bands Grave Danger, Nuclear Assault, Tuff, She-Rok, Young Gunns along with some interviews very like those from Part II. Most of those bands disappeared without a trace shortly afterwards. Fascinating to see though because this shows an otherwise undocumented transition period just before grunge took over highlighting the end of hair metal. In my opinion this is Decline Of Western Civilisation part II.5.

She-Rok who were an all female metal band (identical to Vixen) won the competition in the movie only to be never heard of again!

Talking of female wrestlers and forgotten rock bands another little gem of a movie that deserves a mention in this thread is this one 'The Last Riders':

This movie features two live performances from an all-female band called The Sheilas - for me this is the highlight of the movie. They are very like the band Heart from the mid 80's. It actually feels like the movie was built around these two performances rather than the other way round which of courses means the movie must be pretty terrible - it is!.....but it is strangely compulsive viewing. The opening scene with female wrestler Mimi Lesseos appears and gets to show off her skills on some bikers from the Slavers gang wanting to get drugs for free is priceless.....don't ever mess with this woman is my advice!!. There are also some other great fight scenes spliced in with the live performances. I believe one day this movie will be hailed as a classic. The Sheilas who really did exist were also a top notch rock band who deserved to have some success after this movie. The two tracks performed by the Sheilas were 'Dark Red Sun' and 'Walking To The Beat Of A Drum'.

Last edited by laserdisc_fan on 19 Oct 2015, 14:50, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2015, 09:50 
True fan
True fan

It is strange that why Echo & The Bunnymen has not been released LD
"Porcupine", "Pictures On My Wall"
Although not metal.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2015, 14:18 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

cold_sleeper wrote:
It is strange that why Echo & The Bunnymen has not been released LD
"Porcupine", "Pictures On My Wall"
Although not metal.

Yes given the number of really obscure bands who made it onto laserdisc it is a surprise there was no specific Echo releases as they were fairly successful.

That said there are some promo compilation laserdiscs featuring them such as:

Echo & The Bunnymen - Bring on the dancing horses
3M Promotional Music Videos - Videobox Networks Inc: Disc 113 (1987) [VB 113]

Echo & The Bunnymen - Lips like sugar
3M Promotional Music Videos - Videobox Networks Inc: Disc 116 (1987) [VB 116]

Echo & The Bunnymen - The Puppet
Urgh! A Music War (1981) [888 8909-2]

I believe I also have several other PAL promo LDs that include some of their later videos.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2015, 15:24 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Before the all girl metal band Vixen hit the big time in 1988 and got signed to EMI they starred in a comedy movie called Hardbodies in 1984 as an on screen band called Diaper Rash.

This version of the band included Janet Gardner (vocals) and Jan Kuehnemund (guitar) from the classic line-up.
6 unique tracks were featured in the movie including Computer Madness, Maria, Be with Me, Mr. Cool, Give It a Chance and Runnin'. Definitely a must see movie if you are a Vixen fan as none of these tracks were ever issued as singles or included on any Vixen albums.

A later Vixen Japanese laserdisc released in 1995 gathered together all the promo videos from the two highly successful EMI albums - 'Vixen' and 'Rev It Up'. This also features some interviews with the band members and making of footage.

Last edited by laserdisc_fan on 01 Oct 2016, 08:12, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2015, 15:59 
Honest fan
Honest fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
Before the all girl metal band Vixen hit the big time in 1988 and got signed to EMI they starred in a comedy movie called Hardbodies in 1984 as an on screen band called Diaper Rash.

This version of the band included Janet Gardner (vocals) and Jan Kuehnemund (guitar) from the classic line-up.
6 unique tracks were featured in the movie including Computer Madness, Maria, Be with Me, Mr. Cool, Give It a Chance and Runnin'. Definitely a must see movie if you are a Vixen fan as none of these tracks were ever issued as singles or included on any Vixen albums.

A later Vixen Japanese laserdisc released in 1995 gathered together all the promo videos from the two highly successful EMI albums - 'Vixen' and 'Rev It Up'. This also features some interviews with the band members and making of footage.

Great band and good songs.
It is a shame the laserdisc (that I am still searching for) features just videoclips and small interviews because there are several tv apperances in Italy, Germany and USA the company could have used for the official video.
Same story for Bulletboys, Steelheart or Great White just to name a few.

Is there any laserdisc featuring steelheart other than the official LD with the promo videos?

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2015, 00:12 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

mikematijevic wrote:

It is a shame the laserdisc (that I am still searching for) features just videoclips and small interviews because there are several tv apperances in Italy, Germany and USA the company could have used for the official video.

Is there any laserdisc featuring steelheart other than the official LD with the promo videos?

I agree - I have some DVDs with live footage of Vixen from their heyday and none of this footage made it to laserdisc. One further thing about the laserdisc that is annoying is there are no chapter breaks so you can't easily advance to the start/end of each video. That said the quality is great and I always loved all the tracks which are not available on any official DVD.

I've a lot of promo music LDs (about 1000) featuring one off tracks from many rock and metal bands that didn't get an official release of their own on laserdisc. A few examples include RTZ, White Lion, TNT, Foreigner, Lou Gramm - too many to remember but the ones you mention might be on some of those - I'm just not sure.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2015, 00:26 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Another movie from the 80's I really love is this one:

Black Roses (a fictional band) arrive in a small town and turn all the kids into rock fans (or so their parents think).....but in reality they are turned into monsters. So all those people who thought metal music was for devil worshippers and is evil were right all along!! Some very funny special effects but really the best thing about this little movie is the fantastic soundtrack. It didn't get re-issued on DVD until 2007 and copies of the laserdisc version shown are very tough to find now as are copies of the original soundtrack on CD. One of the tracks by Black Roses - Paradise (We're On Our Way) sounds like a carbon copy of the US band Giuffria which shouldn't come as that much of a surprise given one of the members of Black Roses (Chuck Wright) was actually a former member of Giuffria!

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2015, 07:54 
Honest fan
Honest fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
mikematijevic wrote:

I agree - I have some DVDs with live footage of Vixen from their heyday and none of this footage made it to laserdisc. One further thing about the laserdisc that is annoying is there are no chapter breaks so you can't easily advance to the start/end of each video. That said the quality is great and I always loved all the tracks which are not available on any official DVD.

I've a lot of promo music LDs (about 1000) featuring one off tracks from many rock and metal bands that didn't get an official release of their own on laserdisc. A few examples include RTZ, White Lion, TNT, Foreigner, Lou Gramm - too many to remember but the ones you mention might be on some of those - I'm just not sure.

Sounds amazing. Please let me know if you have a LD that features Steelheart other than the official disc. I would be really interested :D

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2015, 15:08 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

On a small batch of promo music laserdiscs I checked I found tracks not on any other laserdiscs by:
The Cult
ZZ Top
Kingdom Come
Billy Idol
Ratt
Honeymoon Suite
Baby Animals
Little Angels
Warrant
Whitesnake
David Lee Roth
Dan Reed Network
Trixter
Fish
Megadeth

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2015, 15:44 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

In 1984 Edward Van Halen wrote the score for a teen comedy movie called The Wild Life.
The movie has never been re-issued on DVD to date and is of historical significance to rock fans as it features many compositions that sound like they were leftovers from the 1984 album sessions.

At this stage in the 80's Eddie Van Halen was experimenting with an Oberheim OB-Xa analogue synthesizer which is now regarded as one of the best vintage syths ever produced. The range of sounds available is staggering even today.
Take a listen to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stY6fjeRQ5Y

The sound is instantly identifiable on the album 1984 in tracks 1984, Jump and I'll Wait.
The same synth is featured on several of the tracks from The Wild Life making it a great companion title to the original 1984 album for these otherwise unavailable tracks.

Eddie Van Halen -The WildLife soundtrack 'Back To School':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgMfaRdOYnM

Eddie Van Halen - The WildLife soundtrack Fashion Dynasty':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jk6CqlZOsc

Eddie Van Halen - The WildLife soundtrack 'Driving Song':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwQZwnTx2mA

Eddie Van Halen - The WildLife soundtrack 'Love Song':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2g4qbmCLr8

Eddie Van Halen - The WildLife soundtrack 'Good Enough':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Dw6YrpsPWs

Eddit Van Halen - The WildLife soundtrack 'Ripley': - got re-recorded for 'A Different Kind of Truth' album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe1X3yOWhdA

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2015, 00:31 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Shock 'Em Dead is another favourite movie about heavy metal:

A total loser is offered the chance to do anything if he sells his soul to the devil which he agrees to!
As a result he becomes a hugely talented and successful guitarist in a metal band but there is a price to pay for all his fame and fortune....

Great movie also featuring Traci Lords. Certain aspects of the movie seem incredibly accurate with what was actually happening in the 80's with the lead singer being a total junkie having to shoot up on drugs before appearing on stage which ultimately was his downfall. A movie with a nice little sting in its tale and a rivoting metal soundtrack.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2015, 13:39 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Looking back the 80's was a fantastic decade for movies and rock music.

Another cult classic with a fantastic soundtrack is The Wraith (1986) starring Charlie Sheen:

As well as featuring a unique synthesiser soundtrack that is unavailable elsewhere it also includes loads of great rock songs such as:
Tim Feehan – "Where's the Fire"
Ozzy Osbourne – "Secret Loser"
Stan Bush – "Hearts vs. Heads"
Ian Hunter – "Wake Up Call"
Mötley Crüe – "Smokin' in the Boys Room"
Robert Palmer – "Addicted to Love"
Nick Gilder – "Scream of Angels"
Lion – "Power Love"
Honeymoon Suite – "Those Were the Days"
Lion – "Never Surrender"
Bonnie Tyler – "Matter of the Heart"
LaMarca – "Hold on Blue Eyes"
Billy Idol – "Rebel Yell"
Jill Michaels – "Young Love, Hot Love"
James House – "Bad Mistake"

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2015, 14:52 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Not all these movies have been dubbed in Italian so I'm sure some could be a big surprise to me!
Thanks!

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2016, 08:13 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Some more Vixen related material exists on laserdisc.

While Janet and Jan were forming an early lineup of Vixen, Roxy Petrucci and her sister Maxine had already formed their own band some time earlier in 1981 called Madam X. Madam X released their debut album in 1984 along with the single High in High School which you will find the video for on this laserdisc: Kerrang!: Video Kompilation (1985) [SM068-3042].

Roxy would eventually leave Madam X and join up with Vixen to become part of the classic Vixen lineup when they hit the big time in the late 80s.

In addition the horror movie Rejuvenator, The (Rejuvenatrix) (1988) [ID7181SO] features 2 exclusive tracks
from a band called Poison Dollys also formed in 1981. One of the guitarists in Poison Dollys is Gina Stile who would go on to join Vixen in a reformed lineup from 1997 onwards. She is featured on Vixen's third album Tangerine playing both lead and rhythm guitar although many fans don't like this album as it sounds nothing like the earlier material. Also worthy of note is Poison Dollys wrote the original version of Love is for Suckers which Twisted Sister then covered on their 1987 album.

Last edited by laserdisc_fan on 01 Oct 2016, 18:40, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2016, 09:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
In 1984 Edward Van Halen wrote the score for a teen comedy movie called The Wild Life.
The movie has never been re-issued on DVD to date and is of historical significance to rock fans as it features many compositions that sound like they were leftovers from the 1984 album sessions.

Cool I have this. Got it for a dollar at a used hi fi store.

Your collection of music LDs is impressive but your use of the term "grunge" worries me. I was hoping it had been recognised as the bogus corporate label it always was by now.

For example people who don't know anything about music or bands or were just casual listeners, who never "got" it will constantly refer to bands everyone knows like Nirvana and Pearl Jam in the same breath, referring to them as "grunge" whereas they were completely different genres and neither considered themselves "grunge" at any point.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2016, 22:24 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Just when I thought there couldn't possibly be any more laserdiscs featuring BulletBoys I find two more :lol:

Bulletboys - For the love of money
3M Promotional Music Videos - Videobox Networks Inc: Disc 125 (1989) [VB 125]

Bulletboys - Hang On St. Christopher
Pioneer Promotional Music Videos - Jukebox Network: Disc 77 (1991) [07-452]

Actually there are loads of 80's metal bands who made it to promo music laserdiscs......

Trixter - Give It To Me Good
Pioneer Promotional Music Videos - Jukebox Network: Disc 77 (1991) [07-452]

Trixter - One In A Million
Pioneer Promotional Music Videos - Jukebox Network: Disc 107 (1991) [07-353]

Trixter - Surrender
Pioneer Promotional Music Videos - Jukebox Network: Disc 44 (1991) [07-459]

Two more Warrant videos from their debut not on the other Warrant LDs:
Warrant - Down Boys
Warrant - Heaven

3M Promotional Music Videos - Videobox Networks Inc: Disc 126 (1989) [---]

I was really pleased to find a few music videos by White Lion also made it to laserdisc including the classic 'Wait':

White Lion - Wait
3M Promotional Music Videos - Videobox Networks Inc: Disc 119 (1987) [VB 119]

White Lion - Tell me
3M Promotional Music Videos - Videobox Networks Inc: Disc 120 (1987) [VB 120]

Canadian rock band Honeymoon Suite also got a few videos from their 1985 Big Prize album:

Honeymoon Suite - Feel It Again
Audix Soundware Promo Music Compilation [M-04156]

Honeymoon Suite - What does it take
3M Promotional Music Videos - Videobox Networks Inc: Disc 107 (1986) [VB 107]

Krokus - Burning Up The Night
Audix Soundware Promo Music Compilation [M-04156]

Krokus - School's Out
Audix Soundware Promo Music Compilation [T-05196]

Quiet Riot - The Wild And The Young
Audix Soundware Promo Music Compilation [M-07186]

Quiet Riot - Mama Weer All Crazee Now
Audix Soundware Promo Music Compilation [T-07234]

Quiet Riot - Party All Night
Audix Soundware Promo Music Compilation [T-10174]

Great White - Rock me
3M Promotional Music Videos - Videobox Networks Inc: Disc 117 (1987) [VB 117]

Survivor - I Can't Hold Back
Audix Soundware Promo Music Compilation [T-10174]

There's at least one Ratt video available on promo music LDs that isn't included on the other 2 Official Ratt LDs.

Ratt - Dance
3M Promotional Music Videos - Videobox Networks Inc: Disc 112 (1986) [VB 112]

Last edited by laserdisc_fan on 02 Oct 2016, 15:30, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2016, 14:50 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Another excellent Canadian rock band worthy of mentioning is Loverboy. Similiar in style to Survivor or Night Ranger and like Night Ranger they are almost unheard of by most people in the UK.

One live Loverboy US laserdisc exists:

Many copies of this title are rotted however perfect copies do exist.
The copy shown is about as close to mint as I've seen and plays perfectly. It's had the tight shrinkwrap removed long ago so is missing the Pioneer sticker logo in the corner but that helped to prevent the cover from getting warped and there is absolutely no wear anywhere on the sleeve. Most copies I've seen have very badly creased covers and seam splits because the jacket is very light and easily damaged.

At least one music video by Loverboy definitely exists on laserdisc - the power ballad 'This Could Be The Night' from 1985 as I was watching it a few months ago. It is featured on another promo laserdisc although I need to track it down as I can't find it currently.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2016, 15:50 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

An often overlooked hard rock /metal band from Scotland are The Almighty.

One Japanese laserdisc exists featuring them filmed at The Town & Country Club in London on June 26th 1991:
The Almighty: Soul Destruction Live (1992) [POLP-1003]

It's a top OBI but I've moved it to the left hand side so you can see the cover more easily.

Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next