It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 12:09

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: MUSIC TITLES NEEDED (JAPANESE RELEASES)
PostPosted: 25 Nov 2015, 14:50 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Is there anybody out there that has these titles for sale?

Foreigner - Super Rock In Japan
Survivor - Live In Japan
Slaughter - From The Beginning
Stryper - Live In Japan
Bruce Dickinson - Dive! Live!
W.A.S.P. - Live At Lyceum
W.A.S.P. - First Blood, Last Visions
Twisted Sister - Stay Hungry
Ratt - Detonator Video Action
Poison - 7 Days Live
Stryper - In The Beginning
Vixen - Revved Up!
Britny Fox - Year Of The Fox

I am willing to pay a fair price but absolutely not those crazy rates.
Please contact me.
Vince

Post subject: Re: MUSIC TITLES NEEDED (JAPANESE RELEASES)
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2015, 09:32 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Hi Vince,

I understand your frustration on the prices, however the best hint I can give you is to look and hunt for yourself, take (my favorite from your list) Foreigner, Super Rock '85, I bought it sealed, perfect as new - nice crystal clear white no yellow fading on sleeve - no rot at all for a fraction of the cost I have seen some people offering it.

Have to admit you have to be lucky to strike at the right moment with the right person. Have bought new discs for a few euro's where others are asking hundreds of euro's for the same title, often in a much poorer condition....

So the moral is to look for yourself and this might take years ... or spent much more money where others have done the hunt for you.
And do not understand me wrong, do not think you can always buy that treasure for a few euro and find it in a few weeks, as you say offering a fair price will do a lot, to be honest.

Personally I am a collector, not a seller (anymore), I do not buy to sell, do I have doubles, yes I do (not from your list though), these I use for swapping against other titles somebody else has, so we can do business with closed wallets.

BTW that Foreigner disc I have seen several times on ebay, it is one of my favorites.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2015, 10:41 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Hi Vince,

I don't disagree with edwin240170 and presumably your comment about high prices is aimed directly at me since I seem to be the only person with duplicates of the titles you are after.

Years before I sold any laserdiscs, I visited this site and was shocked at the sky high prices on many music LDs. I bought some but ultimately it was more affordable to do the searching myself as the mark ups from many sellers were astronomical.

10 years later I now own 99% of the music I wanted. It did take me thousands of hours of searching online, countless precarious deals, a number of false starts, a few scams and about 300 rotted laserdiscs but I got there in the end on my own steam.

Along that journey I found that even the best sellers didn't actually stock many of the titles I was after. That was one of the reasons why I opened my own store as there was definite gap in the market for the rarest titles which no one else stocked. The other reason was to recoup what I had spent with other sellers. I believe I achieved both goals.

So as edwin240170 says if you don't want to pay current asking prices do the work yourself.
You'll definitely find them cheaper but it may take a decade or so to locate them.
Just remember no one rides for free in the laserdisc gravy train so don't complain if you have to put some serious time and effort in.

For me personally budget was never a constraint. The availability of certain titles was always the main factor.
I often asked the best sellers first to check on availability. If they didn't have any copies and had never seen them I knew those titles were rare.

Also the people who contact me with wishlists have always tried everywhere else first. I even tell them to!
Some sellers have even tried to copy me occasionally on a few titles but I don't know of anyone with such a large duplicate inventory of the best titles. There is no one else out there currently.

Time is running out though if you want to contact me because my store on LDDB.com closes end of 2015. I have no plans to re-open it again at any point in the future as I don't need the money. Good luck with your searches though.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2015, 12:11 
Honest fan
Honest fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
Hi Vince,

I don't disagree with edwin240170 and presumably your comment about high prices is aimed directly at me since I seem to be the only person with duplicates of the titles you are after.

Years before I sold any laserdiscs, I visited this site and was shocked at the sky high prices on many music LDs. I bought some but ultimately it was more affordable to do the searching myself as the mark ups from many sellers were astronomical.

10 years later I now own 99% of the music I wanted. It did take me thousands of hours of searching online, countless precarious deals, a number of false starts, a few scams and about 300 rotted laserdiscs but I got there in the end on my own steam.

Along that journey I found that even the best sellers didn't actually stock many of the titles I was after. That was one of the reasons why I opened my own store as there was definite gap in the market for the rarest titles which no one else stocked. The other reason was to recoup what I had spent with other sellers. I believe I achieved both goals.

So as edwin240170 says if you don't want to pay current asking prices do the work yourself.
You'll definitely find them cheaper but it may take a decade or so to locate them.
Just remember no one rides for free in the laserdisc gravy train so don't complain if you have to put some serious time and effort in.

For me personally budget was never a constraint. The availability of certain titles was always the main factor.
I often asked the best sellers first to check on availability. If they didn't have any copies and had never seen them I knew those titles were rare.

Also the people who contact me with wishlists have always tried everywhere else first. I even tell them to!
Some sellers have even tried to copy me occasionally on a few titles but I don't know of anyone with such a large duplicate inventory of the best titles. There is no one else out there currently.

Time is running out though if you want to contact me because my store on LDDB.com closes end of 2015. I have no plans to re-open it again at any point in the future as I don't need the money. Good luck with your searches though.

Hi Colin,
my "rant" was not directed to you. I was just trying to see if anybody else has some of these titles for sale.
I don't judge the pricing. If you believe a title is worth 500$ is your right and since you don't need money you can keep it.
Some titles are really mega rare, don't get me wrong, and when I say I am ready to offer a fair price for some of them I didn't have in mind 30$ but much more.
And you are absolutely right that when one of those mega rare titles shows up if the auction doesn't end at your price, it is close though.
I am just saying that If I have been able to buy 100 rare music that were worth 200$+ each paying 1/5 for a few, 1/8-1/10 for most of them and 1/20 for some titles, there is a BIG disproportion between actual price and lddb pricing.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2015, 12:33 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

mikematijevic wrote:

I was just trying to see if anybody else has some of these titles for sale.
I am just saying that If I have been able to buy 100 rare music that were worth 200$+ each paying 1/5 for a few, 1/8-1/10 for most of them and 1/20 for some titles, there is a BIG disproportion between actual price and lddb pricing.

Your wishlist is small and also some of those are not the mega rare titles so in theory someone else should easily be able to provide them at a knock down price. Has absolutely no one else come forward? Have you checked with Kevin - he can get some titles like those.

If you serious about buying 100 then shoot me an email and we can cut a deal before Christmas.
It will be the best and most memorable Christmas of your life.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2015, 12:44 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Hi Colin,
after our last email I was able to retrieve some of those titles like both DIO, Poison "Flesh & Blood", Saxon "live in concert" (my rant was about what a japanese seller wanted and how much I paid for it one week later, perfect with obi no rot), Night Ranger, Black Sabbath so the titles listed in this threat are the only one I am after at the moment.
As you can see I didn't include mega rare titles because I can't pretend a bargain on those. I am perfectly aware of that.

This is my wishlist:

Foreigner - Super Rock In Japan
Survivor - Live In Japan
Slaughter - From The Beginning
Stryper - Live In Japan
Bruce Dickinson - Dive! Live!
W.A.S.P. - Live At Lyceum
W.A.S.P. - First Blood, Last Visions
Twisted Sister - Stay Hungry
Ratt - Detonator Video Action
Poison - 7 Days Live
Stryper - In The Beginning
Vixen - Revved Up!
Britny Fox - Year Of The Fox

I know you don't have any copy left of Bruce Dickinson and some of these are up on Ebay or other sites.
If you have a very good offer for this lot or just a part of this lot we can make a deal.

Please take a look at my collection. That shows what I actually have.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2015, 13:08 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

When I buy even a $1 USD LD from Japan I endup paying almost $27 before I get it in my hand with no guarantee it even plays or the jacket is as described.

Why does it cost so much ?.....because there are handling fees, internal shipping fees, international shipping fees, credit card currency exchange fees. If the LD purchase price rises to over $10 USD I also have to pay commission fees and am likely to have to pay customs and excise fees for a larger shipment as the value will easily exceed the allowable duty limit.

It all adds up and I have to factor this in to what I stock and the risk involved. Generally selling anything for less than $50 is uneconomically viable if you also factor in Ebay fees and paypal fees. Someone working direct from Japan with access to the titles can hunt them down for dollars and avoid a lot of these fees.

So my advice is buy as much as you can direct from Japan. When you feel you can no longer obtain the others contact me and we can cut a deal on what remains. This approach will also help you see which ones truly never turn up and also the general going rate for the ones you are after etc. I know you did obtain some rare ones along the way....we all do if you keep plugging, but you also shared with me not all your purchases were bargains. You had to pay quite a bit for some and they were not always in perfect complete condition.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2015, 13:49 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

So buying what you don't need, to use it for a later trade is a European thing.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2015, 14:06 
Honest fan
Honest fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
When I buy even a $1 USD LD from Japan I endup paying almost $27 before I get it in my hand with no guarantee it even plays or the jacket is as described.

Why does it cost so much ?.....because there are handling fees, internal shipping fees, international shipping fees, credit card currency exchange fees. If the LD purchase price rises to over $10 USD I also have to pay commission fees and am likely to have to pay customs and excise fees for a larger shipment as the value will easily exceed the allowable duty limit.

It all adds up and I have to factor this in to what I stock and the risk involved. Generally selling anything for less than $50 is uneconomically viable if you also factor in Ebay fees and paypal fees. Someone working direct from Japan with access to the titles can hunt them down for dollars and avoid a lot of these fees.

So my advice is buy as much as you can direct from Japan. When you feel you can no longer obtain the others contact me and we can cut a deal on what remains. This approach will also help you see which ones truly never turn up and also the general going rate for the ones you are after etc. I know you did obtain some rare ones along the way....we all do if you keep plugging, but you also shared with me not all your purchases were bargains. You had to pay quite a bit for some and they were not always in perfect complete condition.

Thanks for your advice.
You are absolutely right about my purchases. I obtained some rare titles (Slaughter "Wild Life", Queensryche "Live In Tokyo", Saxon "Live In Concert", Enuff Z'Nuff, Bon Jovi "Tokyo Road", 3 sealed Cinderella, both Dio, both Damn Yankees, Journey, Warrant "Cherry Pie", 3 Night Ranger, 3 Winger) paying no more than 50-60$ for a few discs (except Venom) + shipping (purchased directly from Japan) but I also received some cracked discs (packaged perfectly) so of course there's always a risk. Unfortunately postmen don't handle packages like jewelry.

The titles you can see here are the ones I miss and I have not found so far. If one day you feel you can offer them to a true collector (my steelheart collection is just a mere example about my passion in music) for a good price I am glad to offer more than anybody else in the market now during an ebay auction. Let's start with Slaughter ;)
Of course if there is a customer willing to pay 200$ for a single disc off the ones mentioned above, lucky you...
Think about that. Christmas is behind the door. Grow your bear and make some people happy :D

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2015, 14:47 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

substance wrote:

I don't know about European thing. It's just simple mathematics and about helping each other out. If you had to pay a lot for a rare title to a seller and subsequently spot the exact same title somewhere else at a fraction of the price its makes good economic sense to purchase a duplicate.

You can either sell the duplicate and deduct your profit from what you had to pay for the initial expensive copy. In most cases this meant I got my rarest titles for free, very cheap or even with some cash in my pocket.

It's true though money alone can't buy everything in life. I've found that some sellers will simply not part with certain titles no matter what price you offer them and this is where trading can help. Offer them a trade and that can change the situation dramatically if you've got some highly desirable titles to swap. I've traded titles with some of the best collectors in the world. Some of my most treasured laserdiscs came via this route so I highly recommend it. It is a very cheap way to grow a collection quickly. All of the people I've traded with to date I have remained in contact with as close friends. If they ever want something unrelated to laserdiscs purchased anywhere in Europe they just need to say the word. Price is no object for me as I would always return the favour. I've multiple trading contacts in USA, Australia, all throughout Europe, Russia and Japan.

Last edited by laserdisc_fan on 26 Nov 2015, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2015, 14:58 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Vince is a fairly new member to forum so he may be unaware of one of the primary sources for music LDs in the past - recobanchou.

They used to stock thousands of laserdiscs and had a vast music LD collection for sale at any given time.
I always considered their prices to be very reasonable even when there was no sale on yet many on the forum members complained about their pricing being too high. To me that shows a total lack of respect and no understanding about laserdisc pricing in general. Nearly all of their stock was used/complete/superb condition with many titles still sealed. When you've a business to run, staff salaries to pay, inventory to store and your own website to host and update it all takes time and money. Ultimately a decline in sales lead to them closing their store and it has never re-opened since. That was a shame as it was one of the best laserdisc sources in the world for both music and movie titles, especially late release titles. My garage is filled with recobanchou boxes. I bought thousands of discs from them and supported them right to the very end. I wouldn't be surprised if my orders were some of the very last they ever received. I loved that store.

If you don't support these places they disappear so you've only yourself to blame.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2015, 16:23 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
substance wrote:

I don't know about European thing. It's just simple mathematics and about helping each other out. If you had to pay a lot for a rare title to a seller and subsequently spot the exact same title somewhere else at a fraction of the price its makes good economic sense to purchase a duplicate.

You can either sell the duplicate and deduct your profit from what you had to pay for the initial expensive copy. In most cases this meant I got my rarest titles for free, very cheap or even with some cash in my pocket.

It's true though money alone can't buy everything in life. I've found that some sellers will simply not part with certain titles no matter what price you offer them and this is where trading can help. Offer them a trade and that can change the situation dramatically if you've got some highly desirable titles to swap. I've traded titles with some of the best collectors in the world. Some of my most treasured laserdiscs came via this route so I highly recommend it. It is a very cheap way to grow a collection quickly. All of the people I've traded with to date I have remained in contact with as close friends. If they ever want something unrelated to laserdiscs purchased anywhere in Europe they just need to say the word. Price is no object for me as I would always return the favour. I've multiple trading contacts in USA, Australia, all throughout Europe, Russia and Japan.

To me, it is a moral thing. I don't buy anything I don't need or want. Even if it's cheap, I still don't feel right buying, someone else who wants it more than me can get it. I helped many members here and elsewhere get great deals on items they have been waiting on a decent price. I could easily buy myself and flip or trade. I get better pleasure in helping people than make profit on those items.

You are after some nearly impossible to find titles. You have a valid point in holding a few titles for a possible trade. I agree some people will never let go of some titles unless exchanged with something they want more. I don't have a desire for any of those titles. Maybe that's why I can afford to be not selfish. This is my way, of course. I don't expect anyone to do the same. I said its a European thing because I have witnessed more European sit on multiple copies of expensive discs than anyone else. I apologize if it sounded offensive. It was just my observation over the years.

I would help you too if you ever need anything from the US, near Boston especially. I have read your posts for many years (nearly 2000 posts) and never read a single negative comment about you. You are an avid collector and contributer of the LD community. I have connections in eastern Europe, Middle East and China beside those you listed. Feel free to contact me if I can be of any help. This goes for any old timers here.

PostPosted: 12 May 2016, 11:49 
Honest fan
Honest fan

This is a list of the remaining titles I am after.
Please send me a PM if you have any of these for sale or trade:

Accept Staying A Life
Anthrax Attack of Killer Video
Britny Fox Year Of The Fox
Bruce Dickinson Dive! Dive! Live! World Tour 1990
Hear 'N' Aid Stars
Iron Maiden Live In Donington
Iron Maiden Video Pieces
Poison 7 Days Live
Ratt Detonator Video Action
Richard Marx Richard Marx: vol.1
Richard Marx Best of Richard Marx
Richard Marx Hold On to the Nights
Saxon Live Innocence!
Scorpions Super Rock In Japan
Sepultura Third World Chaos
Slaughter From The Beginning
Stryper In The Beginning (US press)
Stryper Live In Japan (US press)
The Cult Electric Love - The Videosingles
Thunder Back Street Symphony - The Videos
Twisted Sister Stay Hungry

PostPosted: 31 May 2016, 08:01 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Just purchased a mint copy of Twisted Sister so these are the remaining wanted titles:

Accept Staying A Life
Hear 'N' Aid Stars
Iron Maiden Video Pieces
Poison 7 Days Live
Saxon Live Innocence!
Stryper In The Beginning (US press)
Stryper Live In Japan (US press)

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2016, 07:44 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Found both Stryper LD's and Girlschool "Play Dirty Live" so this is my wishlist today:

Accept Staying A Life
Hear 'N' Aid Stars
Iron Maiden Video Pieces
Poison 7 Days Live
Saxon Live Innocence!

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2016, 08:39 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Found 3 additional titles so this is my updated wishlist is:

Accept Staying A Life
Hear 'N' Aid Stars
Iron Maiden Video Pieces
Saxon Live Innocence!

Thanks to some users who offered me honest deals on those. Gentlemen exist in the laserdisc field too :)

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2016, 22:15 
Honest fan
Honest fan

mikematijevic wrote:
Found 3 additional titles so this is my updated wishlist is:

Accept Staying A Life
Hear 'N' Aid Stars
Iron Maiden Video Pieces
Saxon Live Innocence!

Thanks to some users who offered me honest deals on those. Gentlemen exist in the laserdisc field too :)

Found:
Iron Maiden Video Pieces
Saxon Live Innocence!

along with many others!

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2016, 12:04 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Found other titles so this is my updated wishlist:

Europe In America (MJL-1029)
Hear 'N' Aid Stars
Iron Maiden Live In Donington (Japan version)
Richard Marx Richard Marx: vol.1 (Japan version)

If there is somebody out there with any of these available for sale (all complete with OBI) please let me know!

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ]