It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:33

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Review of music laserdiscs re-issued on DVD or Blu-ray
PostPosted: 18 Oct 2016, 21:25 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I'd like to start a thread dedicated to music laserdiscs that have been re-issued on later formats.

I've spent so much time collecting music on the laserdisc format that I sometimes forget to check if a title has actually been re-issued on later formats such as DVD or blu-ray. I know there have been some great re-issues in recent years and I personally welcome them. What I don't like to see is a low quality re-issue that doesn't do the title justice.

The goal of this thread would be to compare and contrast the original music laserdisc version with any later re-issue on another format so collectors can make an informed decision about which might be the best to purchase today.

The re-issue doesn't have to be a direct clone of the original laserdisc content. I know sometimes, particularly in the case of music video compilations a newer release often includes videos filmed after LD went out of production. This should in theory make the later version more desirable but sometimes they also exclude key videos that were present on the original LD version hence the need for close scrutiny.

Again DVD and particularly blu-rays should provide better picture quality than laserdisc yet sometimes manufacturers cram so much material on a single disc that the quality is compromised due to compression artifacts. Other times they seem to use a VHS source for mastering DVDs which beggers belief! When its done properly the results can be breathtaking though.

Price and availability can also be a factor. It is not uncommon for a small run of certain music titles to be produced on DVD for only a year or so and then swiftly deleted. This sometimes means an original 1981 music laserdisc is actually easier to obtain than a limited DVD pressing from 2007 as crazy as it sounds. It can also mean the laserdisc version might also be cheaper if there are more copies in circulation.

Packaging can also vary greatly. I've seen some lovely deluxe boxsets for DVD/Blu-rays in recent years so again that might sway a potential buyer if there are lots of extras available that were missing in the original LD version. Equally though it is hard to resist some of those classic Japanese music LDs with the huge gatefold sleeves, posters, stickers, badges and even sometimes CDs included.

Any information is welcome (large or small), even if you own just the laserdisc version or perhaps just the DVD version as there are likely to be others on the forum who can help fill in the gaps over time so a comparison can be made. My own collection is definitely biased towards the original laserdisc version but I do still have an extensive collection of re-issues where I felt the re-issue represented good value for money and justified purchasing again.

Post subject: Re: Review of music laserdiscs re-issued on DVD or Blu-ray
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2016, 02:38 
True fan
True fan

Stalin: Last Live [88SX-5]
DVD is added to 4 tracks, further CD is Appendix.

LD of the front image the back side of the DVD

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2016, 04:01 
Site Admin
Site Admin

On top of my head, I was disappointed by the first DVD release of Peter Gabriel: Secret World Live (1994) [TOLW-3195] and put it in the comments:

• The sound is slightly shifted from video
  • The so-called "Widescreen" remaster is cropped version of the original 4:3 source. LD has more picture and the LD also is less grainy than the DVD which suffers from several compression artifacts.

Now I realize there was a DVD/BD remaster in 2012 and I'm not sure about the framing of this one but it has additional contents to the LD.

Julien

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2016, 07:54 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Whitesnake Super Rock In Japan has been re-issued on DVD by Frontiers Records and it's called "Live '84 Back To The Bone".
It is sourced from laserdisc...I have the inside scoop :)
I have both and I have to say that I prefer the laserdisc version for many reasons first of all because they "tried" to remove the film grain effect from the original source to make it look cleaner but as a consequence, when the work is performed by computer software and not by high-end hollywood standard, the picture looks a bit blurry compared to the original LD.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2016, 13:42 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Fleetwood Mac Mirage Tour '82 is an interesting one to compare.

There was an analogue and later digital audio version issued in US Fleetwood Mac: In Concert - Mirage Tour (1982) [PA-83-048]

Look out for the words Digital Audio in top right corner of the front sleeve to distinguish them.
In addition the digital version has a tiny white rectangle on the spine that is missing from the analogue version:

I also noticed the digital re-issue has a white rectangle placed over the top of some text that used to say 'Made in Japan' on the old analogue version:

Both US versions featured 9 tracks and were 57 mins long:

There was also a PAL laserdisc version and VHD version - both of which are 78 mins and feature 13 tracks:

The four extra tracks are Blue Letter, Rihannon, Tusk and Songbird.

Be advised the PAL laserdisc being very old only features analogue audio but at least it has the entire concert unlike either US version. It is however more likely to suffer from rot being such an early PAL LD. My own personal copy plays very well though so decent copies definitely do exist.

PAL LD tracks:

A DVD of this concert was first issued in 2005:

I actually purchased this one year before I started collecting laserdiscs.

Here's the track listing for the DVD:

So the DVD contains all 13 songs so is the same version as the PAL LD and VHD.

The DVD is long since out of print so if you find a copy it will probably be fairly expensive since it was only available for a few years and then deleted. It has never been re-issued again.

The US laserdisc versions are relatively easy to track down whereas the PAL and VHD versions are a good deal rarer.

Very recently Fleetwood Mac released a deluxe re-issue of the Mirage album.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mirage-Deluxe- ... mirage+dvd

I was expecting this deluxe edition might include the DVD as a companion but this concert was omitted.

Whatever you do don't buy this unofficial Brazilian release on DVD which doesn't even show the correct lineup on the cover at the time of the mirage tour - totally fake product!!
https://www.discogs.com/Fleetwood-Mac-I ... se/5077020

So all in all this title is quite tough to find a genuine version on any format these days.
The US second pressing with enhanced digital audio is probably the safest purchase but even it will probably set you back $40 USD and is missing 4 of the tracks from the concert.
If you're lucky you might find someone selling a used copy of the DVD cheap but it's been out of print for a long time.

Glad I bought the DVD cheap back in 2005 when it had just been issued.
Given it contains the full concert the DVD version is probably the best overall release available to date both in terms of quality (no laser rot) and completeness but try finding one!!

Last edited by laserdisc_fan on 20 Oct 2016, 06:53, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2016, 14:24 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

mikematijevic wrote:
Whitesnake Super Rock In Japan has been re-issued on DVD by Frontiers Records and it's called "Live '84 Back To The Bone".
I have both and I have to say that I prefer the laserdisc version for many reasons first of all because they "tried" to remove the film grain effect from the original source to make it look cleaner but as a consequence, when the work is performed by computer software and not by high-end hollywood standard, the picture looks a bit blurry compared to the original LD.

The original laserdisc version has one of the most stunning covers ever printed:

A DVD version did surface in 2007 - I bought it at the time to compare:

I hate the DVD cover as it isn't the original lineup of the band and instead features a recent photo of them.
The full concert is however included on the DVD except they left off band member interview clips included on the laserdisc. Quality wise this DVD looks to be at least sourced from laserdisc as it is pretty decent to watch but I still think the original LD is clearer to watch and of course that cover can never be matched in a DVD format but at least they could have tried!!

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2016, 14:42 
Honest fan
Honest fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
mikematijevic wrote:

The original laserdisc version has one of the most stunning covers ever printed:

A DVD version did surface in 2007 - I bought it at the time to compare:

I hate the DVD cover as it isn't the original lineup of the band and instead features a recent photo of them.
The full concert is however included on the DVD except they left off band member interview clips included on the laserdisc. Quality wise this DVD looks to be at least sourced from laserdisc as it is pretty decent to watch but I still think the original LD is clearer to watch and of course that cover can never be matched in a DVD format but at least they could have tried!!

I agree on everything.
The DVD version issued by Frontiers is not bad and of course way better than bootleg copies that have been circulating for years but the laserdisc looks and sounds better imho.
The LD cover is awesome, one of my favourites.

PS: I forgot to mention that at least the digipack DVD+CD version cost me only 10 euro during a Frontiers Festival.
That's the reason why I offered myself as middleman in order to purchase Frontiers stuff during the next festival. You can get stuff on the cheap. Bought some great box sets for 5/8/10 euro, brand new of course.
My service is free of charges for you, in case you change your mind :D

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2016, 16:23 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

There is no exact equivalent for the laserdisc Robert Palmer: The Very Best of Robert Palmer - The Videos (1995) [TOLW-3222] so I'm showing the nearest equivalent that is available on DVD currently:

Both the laserdisc and DVD have advantages/disadvantages.

The LD version contains 16 tracks (5 of which are unique to the laserdisc version):

1 Addicted To Love
2 Bad Case Of Loving You (Doctor, Doctor)
3 Simply Irresistible
4 Get It On
5 Some Guys Have All The Luck
6 I Didn't Mean To Turn You On
7 Looking For Clues
8 You Are In My System
9 Some Like It Hot
10 Respect Yourself (only on LD)
11 I'll Be Your Baby Tonight (only on LD)
12 Johnny & Mary
13 She Makes My Day (only on LD)
14 Know By Now (only on LD)
15 Every Kinda People
16 Mercy Mercy Me / I Want You (only on LD)

The DVD contains 18 tracks (7 of which are unique to the DVD version):

1 Sneakin' Sally Thru The Alley (only on DVD)
2 Which One Of Us Is The Fool (only on DVD)
3 Man Smart, Woman Smarter (only on DVD)
4 Bad Case Of Loving You (Doctor Doctor)
5 Johnny & Mary
6 Looking For Clues
7 Some Guys Have All The Luck
8 Pride (only on DVD)
9 You Are In My System
10 Some Like It Hot
11 Get It On
12 Riptide (only on DVD)
13 Addicted To Love
14 I Didn't Mean To Turn You On
15 Discipline Of Love (only on DVD)
16 Sweet Lies (only on DVD)
17 Simply Irresistible
18 Every Kinda People

Picture quality on both editions is superb. Given the fact that so many tracks are unique to both versions I would regard both the laserdisc and DVD as essential purchases if you are Robert Palmer fan. Bear in mind the DVD was released back in 2003 so is long since deleted. The good news is it sold in high volumes so is relatively easy to still locate second hand although will be around 2-3 times the original price. The LD version which came out in 1995 is a good deal tougher to find these days as it was only released in Japan and sold in much smaller quantities.

Last edited by laserdisc_fan on 19 Oct 2016, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2016, 16:50 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Everything But The Girl: Everything But The Girl (1992) [TFLR-78523] got a direct DVD release but only in Japan:

It seems the only difference is the little red e in the word 'the' on the DVD front cover!
Hope you spotted that subtle difference too!!

It's a popular misconception that DVDs are always cheaper than laserdiscs but that's only the case if they are still in print. Most music LDs have a shelf life of about 2 years and then they are deleted and often not re-issued.

I have tended to find that the DVD version is often priced to be more expensive than the laserdisc version on places like Ebay. The DVD came out in 2007 so has been deleted for about 7 years. The cheapest way to locate either is direct from Japan. I managed to pickup a cheap copy of the DVD just for comparison.

I'd be happy with either release although I still prefer the audio & cover on the laserdisc version and since it is easier and usually a lot cheaper to find, the LD version gets my thumbs up :thumbup:

Last edited by laserdisc_fan on 19 Oct 2016, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2016, 17:21 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Only one of the three (actually 4) Howard Jones laserdiscs has been re-issued to date.
The original best of laserdisc came out in 1993 and it would 20 years before any official DVD equivalent was released in 2013:

Still the laserdisc features 3 live cuts not available on the DVD version:

The DVD includes 5 more recent music videos plus 3 alternative versions of some earlier tracks:

The DVD mentions it is widescreen version 16:9 letterbox.

The initial DVDs sold were numbered on the back as shown - mine being No: 330.
I don't think these were as limited as first advertised because they can still be bought direct from Howard's site 3 years later.

Since all of his albums have also been remastered & re-issued over the last few years, I would highly doubt that the two earlier Howard Jones concerts available only on Japanese LD (the first one issued twice) will ever see the light of day now.

Last edited by laserdisc_fan on 19 Oct 2016, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2016, 19:22 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Siouxsie and the Banshees: Once Upon a Time (1981) [JM038-0049] and Siouxsie and the Banshees: Twice Upon A Time (1992) [POLP-1006] or the US version Siouxsie and the Banshees: Twice Upon a Time (1992) [PA-93-501] have never been re-issued since the original laserdiscs came out - the first over 31 years ago:

The nearest equivalent I could find is this 2CD/DVD best of originally released in 2004:

On the surface it seems quite a nice package.
You get 2 CDs including quite a few extended or alternative mixes on one of the discs plus a DVD with 14 videos in a elegant foldout card box with some separate liner notes.

You should always pay close inspection though.

The original 8" Japanese Once Upon A Time LD featured 9 music videos (3 of which have never been re-issued on DVD):

Hong Kong Garden
The Staircase (Mystery) (only on LD)
Playground Twist (only on LD)
Happy House
Christine
Red Light (only on LD)
Israel
Spellbound
Arabian Knights

The later Twice Upon A Time laserdiscs featured a further 15 music videos (8 of which have never been re-issued):

Fireworks (Only on LD)
Slowdive (Only on LD)
Dear Prudence
Dazzle (Only on LD)
Cities In Dust
Candyman (Only on LD)
This Wheel's On Fire
The Passenger (Only on LD)
Peek-A-Boo
The Killing Jar
The Last Beat Of My Heart (Only on LD)
Kiss Them For Me
Shadowtime (Only on LD)
Fear (Of The Unknown) (Extended Version) (Only on LD)
Face To Face

In comparison the later DVD features 14 tracks (only 1 of which is not on laserdisc):

Dear Prudence
Hong Kong Garden
Cities In Dust
Peek-A-Boo
Happy House
Kiss Them For Me
Face To Face
Israel
Christine
Spellbound
Stargazer (only on DVD)
Arabian Knights
The Killing Jar
This Wheel's On Fire

For me this was a no brainer the laserdiscs are vastly superior since between them they feature a staggering 11 music videos not yet on DVD. My favourite Siouxsie songs are the synth laden 'Red Light' and also Spellbound on the little 8" Japanese LD -both still look & sound amazing to this day. That laserdisc would be in my top 10 all time favourites in my entire collection of over 9000 discs, I've watched it so often.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2016, 09:37 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Pretenders: The Singles (1987) [WPLR-74] and the DVD http://www.allmusic.com/album/greatest-hits-dvd-mw0001421183

Content wise not all on LD are on DVD (and other way round)
But also the clips are different (e.g. Brass In Pocket where on LD there are some snippets of a live performance mixed into the clip, where on the DVD this is not)

Audio wise I prefer the LD, sounds more crisp compared to PCM track on DVD.

Overall I would say DVD is a complementary item as it features different and additional clips not found on LD.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2016, 09:50 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Blondie: Eat to the Beat (1979) [VALP-3148] and its DVD twin

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2016, 20:17 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

edwin240170 wrote:

Interesting to see the U for Universal Film Classification on the laserdisc version!

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2016, 07:09 
Site Admin
Site Admin

laserdisc_fan wrote:
Interesting to see the U for Universal Film Classification on the laserdisc version!

Probably taken verbose from the UK VHS cover?

Julien

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2016, 10:15 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

All of the tracks on laserdisc Talk Talk: It's My Life [JM034-0035] have been re-issued on this 2 disc CD/ DVD Best Of:

There are two versions of track 'Talk Talk' and 'Dum Dum Girl' on the DVD.
The DVD also features 6 other tracks not on the 8" LD including the beautiful 'Believe In You' albeit in edited version for the single release.

The DVD version shown is from 2007. It has been re-issued several times with slightly different packaging and is inexpensive to purchase. The only catch is it only appears to be available on PAL format for those of you in NTSC world!

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2016, 11:08 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Joni Mitchell: Painting with Words and Music (1998) [VALG-1053] has been re-issued on DVD and more recently as a Standard Definition (SD) Blu-ray:

Notice she is holding a cigarette on the Laserdisc cover:

On the Blu-ray edition the cigarette and part of her fingers have been airbrushed out:

The Blu-ray was a 2 for 1 package also containing another Joni release called 'Woman of Heart & Mind' which was never available on Laserdisc.

Laserdisc track listing:

Blu-ray track listing which is identical except for the inclusion of the other program content in 'Woman of Heart & Mind':

Total running time of Blu-ray is 204 mins compared with 100 mins for the LD.

A US AC-3 version of the same laserdisc exists Joni Mitchell: Painting With Words and Music (1998) [ID5513ER]

The Blu-ray mentions Eagle Vision's SD Blu-ray range presents upscaled standard definition original material with uncompressed stereo and DTS HD High Resolution surround sound for the best possible quality.
Video: 1080i High Definition Widescreen 16x9 (1.78:1)
Audio: DTS HD Master Audio, LPCM Stereo

Given the inclusion of so much extra content on the Blu-ray, albeit from another program and the fact the Blu-ray was very cheap to buy its difficult not to recommend it. I'm going to watch both back to back this evening and compare the video and audio quality but I would not expect that much difference given this is a Standard Definition Blu-ray.

Last edited by laserdisc_fan on 22 Oct 2016, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2016, 15:01 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

"Interesting to see the U for Universal Film Classification on the laserdisc version!"

Happens more, other example (also Blondie ;) )

Blondie: The Best of Blondie (1981) [VALP-3139]
Blondie: The Best of Blondie (1981) [POLP-1802]
However not on :
Blondie: The Best of Blondie (1981) [SM058-0130]
&
Blondie + Deborah Harry: Very Best of - The Complete Picture (1991) [TOLW-3094]

The Best Of Blondie can be found on DVD (several coverarts exits, but always same content + 3 extra clips)
The CD/DVD combo has "good boys" & "rapture riders", but misses "x-offender"

"The complete picture / best of Deborah Harry" LD features clips not available on DVD, e.g. "French Kissin' In The USA" and many more.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2016, 15:25 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Another one of my favorites :

Foreigner: Live at Deer Creek (1993) [BVLP-118]

DVD also includes interview available on LD

Foreigner: Super Rock '85 in Japan (1985) [LVB-2007]

Do own the LD, but not the also existing DVD "Foreigner: Live in Japan", anyone ? A lot of very bad critics on this DVD release ....

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2016, 15:54 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

The nearest equivalent to laserdisc The Christians: The Collection [VALS-3263] is the DVD shown:

Laserdisc features 9 tracks (2 of which are exclusive to LD):

Ideal World
Harvest For The World
Words
Born Again
I Found Out (only on LD)
When The Fingers Point
Greenbank Drive
Forgotten Town
Community Of Spirit (only on LD)

DVD features 12 tracks (5 of which are unique to DVD):

Forgotten Town
Hooverville (only on DVD)
When The Fingers Point
Ideal World
Born Again
Words
Greenback Drive
What's In A Word (only on DVD)
Father (only on DVD)
Harvest For The World
Perfect Moment (only on DVD)
The Bottle (only on DVD)

So both are complimentary to each other. I love the cover of 'The Bottle' only on the DVD originally written by Gil Scott-Heron in 1974.

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next