It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 06:47

Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Insane number of limited/exclusive versions of albums
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2018, 10:13 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

alien wrote:
forper wrote:

Travel light I thought..and Hiroshi Fujiwara, one of my idols was using one, it must be good I thought. Then after a few weeks of listening I realised what a dumb thing I'd done. I now hated music and felt drained and depressed after listening to it. I literally threw it into the pacific ocean and went and bought a used D777 discman at Hard Off.

You must feel so cool listening to a discman in public. :wtf:

No shame not following the crowd, especially when the crowd is wrong! :thumbup:

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2018, 11:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
No shame not following the crowd, especially when the crowd is wrong! :thumbup:

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2018, 13:25 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

forper wrote:
same age as LD

That is not old you cheeky young whippersnapper!!!

With respect from someone a little "older" :thumbup:

Cheers

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2018, 16:31 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

The Artists who release all these multiple format deluxe issues are doing it because they will get the collector fans to buy it. The rich collector will buy the $200 version. The not so rich will buy the inexpensive version. Some of the Artists have done this multiple times of the same record. Offering you something new are better remastering. For example Metallica , Marillion, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin. I think its dilluting the collector marketplace so bad I have stopped collectiong :lol: ! You never can have everything unless you are rich. Just remember you cannot take it with you. Strawberry Fields forever - Nothing is real.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2018, 20:04 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I remember Gene Simmons being asked in an interview if he collected any of the Kiss merchandise over the years. He said flat out no - never. I can relate to that given there is just so much product released by some bands that it has now got to stage where you home would become a shrine to some band or artist.

I read online recently about someone setting out to buy every Blu-ray movie ever released. If there were different versions of the same title, he bought them all. He admitted most had never even been opened or watched. To me that is crazy but it shows the extreme some collectors might go to. I have no personal interest in movies that don't appeal to me. Thankfully I have no strong urge to even buy most movies as I don't get the same buzz that I would from a music title. I've listened to many of my favourite music discs hundreds of times and still get an adrenaline rush from them where as even the best movies I start to tire of after about 5 watches (usually far sooner if the soundtrack is nothing special). So for me music is better value for money. I've even found as my taste in music has evolved that I have revisited some earlier titles that I wasn't that fussed on initially. A few albums I've even rebought again having sold them originally.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2018, 01:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
even the best movies I start to tire of after about 5 watches

For me if it's a classic I can come back to it endlessly with breaks of a year or two in between each watch. I mean some scenes and dialogue are just so classic. Think Harrison Ford's banter in Star Wars, all those one liner movies and classic battle scenes in movies. Always new details to pick up in battles.

Some soundtracks are endlessly listenable too, Star Wars again.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2018, 02:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

maidenfiend wrote:
The Artists who release all these multiple format deluxe issues are doing it because they will get the collector fans to buy it. The rich collector will buy the $200 version. The not so rich will buy the inexpensive version.

$200 isn't really out of reach for anyone in the developed world, even most on welfare, so I disagree that only the rich will buy the $200 version. The hardcore fans of that artist will, rich or not so rich, if they perceive it as the ultimate version they'll find a way to get it.

As a CD collector a clean good condition copy of the general release is what I'm after. Unless the $200 version sounds better or has tracks I can't find anywhere else I won't pay for just the status and presentation.

Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3