It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 09:46

Page 2 of 2 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Madonna cancelled laserdisc really DOES exist
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2016, 19:34 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

giannis wrote:
I know that laserdisc fan wont sell his copy for all the money in the world and i respect that.but i doubt that there is any other in this forum that has this title.in any case if anyone else has this i letting him know that i can give 3000 dollars instanly for it

Brother, add another zero to that sum, Madonna would probably come sign for you:)

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2016, 19:37 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Hahaha
Good thought but i think madonna wont sing for me for 30000 dollars.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2016, 19:46 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

giannis wrote:
Hahaha

Add another zero and its yours! :lol:

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2016, 19:48 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

giannis wrote:
Hahaha

She would sign over skype bro:)

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2016, 19:51 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Yo Colin you mean the ld or madonna live?
I guess for 300.000 dollars she would seriously consider it

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2016, 19:53 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

giannis wrote:
Yo Colin you mean the ld or madonna live?
I guess for 300.000 dollars she would seriously consider it

Screw Madonna bro, you can have Anna Vissi for that kind of dough

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2016, 19:56 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Hahaha
Hahahahahaha
Hahahahahahahahahaha
Come on anna vissi can go for far less
I guess or 30.000 dollars i can have both anna vissi and the bear trans guy winner of eurovision two years ago

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2018, 04:32 
First post
First post

I’ve been deeply investigated about this title. It wasn’t officially printed in any part of the globe. And it’s not even a promo. The information about the code are all contradicting with the destination of the market country. The only official comununication about this item is that Warner Video chose to release it only on VHS (NTSC And PAL) and dvd (REGION CODE 1 for USA and REGION CODES 2/3/4/5 together for all the other countries) for western markets,while for the asian market was also available the VIDEO CD as a third format.
The existing of one copy only, not printed from the DVD VHS and VIDEO CD master, and the bizarre audio differences that from time to time occur from the original videoclip songs, as reported by the owner on a quite exhaustive description i’ve read few years ago bring me to deduce one thing only:
This is a sort of asian BOOTLEG not officially released in any country with a FAKE CODE printed on the sleeve since it doesn’t come from an official music label.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2018, 09:52 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

simonemaurizio wrote:
The existing of one copy only, not printed from the DVD VHS and VIDEO CD master, and the bizarre audio differences that from time to time occur from the original videoclip songs, as reported by the owner on a quite exhaustive description i’ve read few years ago bring me to deduce one thing only:
This is a sort of asian BOOTLEG not officially released in any country with a FAKE CODE printed on the sleeve since it doesn’t come from an official music label.

I'm the owner of the only known copy to date. After I acquired this LD version I also bought the Asian VCD for comparison.
It is the exact same content with Karaoke vocals etc except that the picture quality is better on the LD version so I believe it is from the same fundamental master.

The professional packaging also has none of the hallmarks of a bootleg. I have also heard from a LD collector in France who was on holiday in Singapore during the period this title was supposedly released that they saw it for sale (many copies in fact) but did not purchase it at the time.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2018, 16:10 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I’ve never seen a bootleg LD that looked even half as legit as this. Bootleg LDs are rare and they never even tried to fool people most of the time. As weird as this release is it would be even weirder if it were a boot. LD Fan was a late comer to LD and will always be a noob to me but he’s handled more LDs with his own hands that almost anyone at his...warehouse apparently. I don’t think anyone is going to fool him.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2018, 01:07 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

After re-reading this topic and found the skeptic that just posted I want to add some info.

As ldfan posted in the first post about the thickness of the sleeve.
I own Incident at Blood Pass (1970) [AD098-039]
This is a USA release and has a thicker sleeve like other Japanese releases.

So this could indeed be a USA release but made in Japan with those standards using a thicker sleeve etc.

Also taking into account the rarity of this disc, even if it were to be a bootleg, which I highly doubt it is, it would still command a top dollar as not all bootleg items
are cheap valueless junk.

Take The Beatles: The Ultimate Tour Live Collection - Tour Years 1964-1966 *BOOTLEG* [TMQ-LD-0628] into consideration.
This title still sells for some money, the last one I saw about 2-3 months ago sold on ebay for a high price, I believe it was around 200.00

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2018, 03:24 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah, bootlegs are great. Bootlegs LDs were just never practical except maybe for rental in certain areas and even then I’m not sure they were profitable for anyone. It wouldn’t make any sense to bootleg such a boring thing. It’s exicting now, but at the time it was the most incredibly mainstream music collection imaginable in the least popular format. LD is for “collectors” but as anyone who was in the scene back in the day knows as soon as DVD came along it seemed like everyone everywhere was itching to dump it and start complaining about it’s flaws as soon as possible.

It seems likely it was an official release that virtually nobody bought and so therefore seems to be deleted since the cutouts would have been recycled. Either that or it’s some kind of %100 completed prototype made for internal use.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2018, 04:53 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Can we get the picture links working again? I’d like to look at it closely. Is there a bar code?

Another theory I just came up with is that it could have been made for a hotel chain or a cruise line or something like that. Some super specific cause. Some industry/company where LD was entrenched when this was released. There are certainly audio tapes and CDs and video games that fit this. This would also explain their urge to make a half-ass ‘oke disc out of real tracks, cover bands, and closed captions. It also could have come with equipment! Aren’t some of those squeeze discs that came with TVs in a weird sort of “international” packaging?

The CCs are normal American CCs? Is there an LD+G track?

Now a question for Madonna fans. Japanese singles often have karaoke versions of songs, or at least “off vocal” versions, of western artists that aren’t available anywhere else. It’s super common on domestic artist’s release but sometimes you even get it on imported acts. One example that comes to mind is Helloween who has some sort of JP-onky ‘oke disc I know because a friend of mind who karaokes the song Halloween by Helloween every Halloween gave me a copy of it.

I have a feeling that every track on this disc that is an original backing track minus vocals was also available on a 3” single or somewhere else and the ones they used cover bands for never were. Can LD Fan confirm this?

Also, do the other formats have any of the audio weirdness or are they just standard video collections?

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2018, 22:47 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

signofzeta wrote:

The CCs are normal American CCs? Is there an LD+G track?

I have a feeling that every track on this disc that is an original backing track minus vocals was also available on a 3” single or somewhere else and the ones they used cover bands for never were. Can LD Fan confirm this?

The Madonna LD has the usual American CCs. There is no LD+G track.

As mentioned previously all the analogue audio is original Madonna music & vocals.

Detailed below is what I believe the additional digital soundtrack comprises on this laserdisc when I played it:
1. Bad Girl - original madonna music but instrumental only
2. Fever - original madonna music but instrumental only
3. Rain - different instrumental but it still sounds like Madonna singing on this track or a very good clone!
4. Secret - original madonna music instrumental only
5. Take a Bow - different instrumental with some different background vocals
6. Bedtime Story - original madonna music instrumental only
7. Human Nature - sounds identical to original analogue version complete with Madonna vocals only a lot louder
8. Love Don't Live Here Anymore - different instrumental
9. Frozen - different instrumental
10. Ray of Light - original madonna music but instrumental only
11. Drowned World/Substitute for Love -original madonna music but instrumental only
12. The Power of Good-Bye - very different instrumental - much more emphasis on the drum beat
13. Nothing Really Matters - original madonna music but instrumental only
14. Beautiful Stranger - original madonna music but instrumental only

I own all of her studio albums but I wouldn't say I was a huge Madonna fan. For example I don't own any 12", 7" or remix singles where as for many other artists I might own everything they ever released. So it's possible I might interpret a very good copy of her original song as the original but being able to switch audio back and forth that is what I think is on the laserdisc.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2018, 23:27 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

signofzeta wrote:
It wouldn’t make any sense to bootleg such a boring thing. It’s exicting now, but at the time it was the most incredibly mainstream music collection imaginable in the least popular format.

It seems likely it was an official release that virtually nobody bought and so therefore seems to be deleted since the cutouts would have been recycled.

I don't disagree with what you say. Madonna was still huge in the 90's and her albums always sold really well. Looking back at the period represented on the disc it was definitely both a creative and commercial peak for her but like you say this was so mainstream anyone who wanted it would have bought it on a more readily available format. Just a thought but maybe VHS was the dominant format still for most people at the time this was first released in 1999. I didn't own a DVD player back then so I'm guessing a lot of other folks might not have either.

I think it should have been a massive seller but it missed the laserdisc boat by a few years so sold virtually no copies in the end.
Also music LDs generally sold in smaller quantities compared to movies anyway.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2018, 01:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
It wouldn’t make any sense to bootleg such a boring thing.

What's boring about it? Great music. No all or even half of good music is underground and obscure. Although Madonna did have underground roots.

A lot of previous Madonna releases on all formats go for really good money because Madonna was an important artist.

Would love to have Ray of Light on LD

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2018, 21:24 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

This is the VCD I own:
https://www.discogs.com/Madonna-The-Vid ... se/3356278

I was interested if the VCD is the same as the laserdisc. It is and it isn't!

First the similarities between the LD digital track and the Karaoke VCD version:

3. Rain - according to the VCD this is a radio remix so it's possible the LD version is also the radio remix on the digital track. As is often the case there isn't a huge amount of difference in a 'radio remix' and the normal 'single edit' - I can't hear any in fact, but it's definitely not the CD album version which is a lot longer.
Rain (Radio Remix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEtHfiYqEAs

9. Frozen - is identical to VCD Frozen (Karaoke Mix - Stereo MC's Mix)
You can check this out here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_YMRcUmNaU but the youtube version has vocals - the karaoke version has no vocals.

12. The Power of Good-Bye - is identical to VCD The Power Of Good-bye (Karaoke Mix - Dallas Low End Mix)
You can check this out here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PgY5GVSUMk but the youtube version has vocals - the karaoke version has no vocals.

Then the differences between the LD digital track and the Karaoke VCD version:

2. Fever - is definitely NOT the same as VCD version Fever (Karaoke Version - Edit One Mix). To me the laserdisc digital track is identical to the analogue one without vocals so it seems they wanted to change this on the laserdisc for whatever reason. Maybe Madonna didn't like it and demanded her favourite format (laserdisc) had the same version!

So in summary this laserdisc is like a mutated hybrid format.
It incorporates all of the standard Madonna video/audio content on the standard VHS, DVD and VCD versions but also adds most of the Karaoke content from the limited Karaoke VCD as digital audio tracks with at least one difference.

So these remixes with no vocals seem to be present on the digital track:
Rain (Karaoke Mix - Radio Remix) Remix – Daniel Abraham
Frozen (Karaoke Mix - Stereo MC's Mix) - Remix – Stereo MC's
The Power Of Good-bye (Karaoke Mix - Dallas Low End Mix) - Remix – Dallas Austin

Last edited by laserdisc_fan on 21 Jan 2018, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2018, 04:31 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

IIRC this was when Madonna was starting being absorbed into DJ/dance/gay culture and I seem to remember some single versions being totally different than radio versions, like Pet Shop Boys. That’s *perhaps* a factor to consider. I’m no Madonna fan at all. I think I have the CD5 for Ray of Light and that’s it. :)

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2018, 11:27 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Prior to me composing this thread back in Feb 2012 there were no pictures available anywhere confirming the existence of this Madonna laserdisc. Shortly after I published my pictures those same photos began to resurface across multiple sites worldwide, particularly Madonna sites. The matching wiki link for this title was also updated to reflect the existence of a laserdisc version https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Video ... tion_93:99

Given the above I never expected that almost 6 years later that no new photos would have appeared from anyone else who now owns it, especially Madonna fans who are usually experts at tracking down collectibles like this.

Value wise I don't know what it's worth today but I do know it is far rarer than any other title in my entire collection and that includes all those late releases movies that are frequently discussed, any MUSE titles &thousands of music promo discs that were never officially sold to the public. I don't think we will see the market flooded with this particular Madonna laserdisc any time soon.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2018, 15:21 
Serious fan
Serious fan

someone offers 5000...

Page 2 of 2 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2