It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:22

Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: CDV-Single players
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2015, 21:46 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I'll have to scan & upload the service manual for the S100 now.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2015, 00:13 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Believe it or not, but i just won the Sony CDP 301V from Yahoo auctions 8-) . So then i will have 4 different of these players.

I hope the quality is ok, pq wise as well as working condition. The Philips one i find it a pity that it skips pretty easily and that it is very bulky. Also i find it hard to find real good Pal cdv's, while almost all Ntsc cdv's are pristine.
I am in a doubt whether i will let the player be sent via SAL or EMS.

Last edited by svwees on 27 Mar 2016, 04:09, edited 1 time in total. _________________
My Laserdiscs
Philips CDV 185, Pioneer D925/D515/PD 707V, Sony CDP 301V, Yamaha CDV S100/CDV M777

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2016, 18:37 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Today i received the Sony CDP 301V. The pq is nice and sound ok. The spinning of the disc is noisy. It is supposed to have a dac with seperate channels instead of the alternating that the Yamaha CDV S100 had.

But where is the digital coax out i hoped for? I only see two 2ch rca out, antenne in and out and composite video out.

ImageImage

Here a quick video.

The player finds the videopart and pauses. With the remote you've then got to hit the pause button in order to play :think: . Though there is also a video direct button and a plethora of options on the remote and on the player.

Last edited by svwees on 17 Jun 2017, 23:54, edited 1 time in total. _________________
My Laserdiscs
Philips CDV 185, Pioneer D925/D515/PD 707V, Sony CDP 301V, Yamaha CDV S100/CDV M777

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2016, 16:08 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Well well :clap:

No,... no, it isn't going to be the Sharp QT 93CV.
But i stumbled on... another Yamaha! The CDV M777. :shock:
The strange thing though is, i can't find any information about it, whatsoever, on the internet.
Another thing that is a pity, is that it is severely beat up and definitely listed as junk, but junk is an variable description in Japan from anything "not so pristine", to "not looked at", to "broken, only for parts".
It looks pretty hefty though. If it the build quality is of the same calibre of a CD 100 then maybe, maybe... there could be a small change that it is still working.
But i am not too certain of that.
Anyway i bought it as i am too curious.
It looks like a more Elite version, or an early version, like before the CDV S100

It's got a proprietary connection on the back. I wonder if it is for taking digital LD audio signal from another player to be decoded by this player, or just a control unit connection.
It says it can be connected to KA M777 or KA M333. Don't know if that is of a Midi Stereo System, or a way to route Digital Audio through a CD player that has a digital output, like Plubius mentioned.

I am thinking about receiving it via SAL as it will be really expensive to get sent; the thing looks heavy!

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2017, 00:33 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I received the Yamaha M777 already a year ago, but it is malfunctioning and i hadn't taken any effort yet to look at it.
It seems the transport has trouble playing past track 1 for some reason let alone spinning up harder for CDV.
It sometimes even won't spin at all. I still have to look into it.
The welcome screen is blue with in white YAMAHA CDV SYSTEM like with the S100. The next screen play stop etc is a nice light gray.

It has a huge Remote, the RS AV 777, almost 2 times as long as the cute RS S100 Remote of the Yamaha CDV S 100.
It has stereo analog out, mono analog out, RF in out and the proprietary connector that can be connected to KA M777 or KA M333. Can't find any info on these, plus even no info on the player anymore either.

ImageImage

So far so good.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

Last edited by svwees on 12 Jun 2019, 16:18, edited 1 time in total. _________________
My Laserdiscs

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2017, 08:06 
Serious fan
Serious fan

publius wrote:
OK, now here's something strange, vaguely related.
There were some early LD players which didn't have digital audio circuitry, but did have a connector from which the raw signal could be tapped, to be interpreted by an outboard device. I believe I've seen a couple of those on Yahoo Japan Auctions — pretty useless these days. But apparently somebody at Pioneer thought of using the circuitry in a CD player to do the job!

Came across that one on a past Yahoo auction:

You can see the button for switching to the Laserdisc PCM extraction throughput:

And the connectors for that.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2017, 08:13 
Serious fan
Serious fan

publius wrote:
I'll have to scan & upload the service manual for the S100 now.

In what list did you upload it?
I can't find it on http://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Yamaha/CDV/ .

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2017, 22:19 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Today i bought out another Yamaha M777 on Buyee for spare parts for 1000yen. I am hoping to put together one working one. It can be that is all to do with a belt to be replaced or, it can be that simple but i don't know. The one i got at the moment will sometimes play track one of a cd but won't go further.

The one purchased today looks also beat up :crazy: . Why?
But the rear looks cleaner. The one i've got has one of the RF terminals totally bent like 30 degrees to the right.
This one looks a bit better at the rear. Description said door won't open mmm, so , defenitely for parts, but one can't be sure.
The tiny belt to rotate a wheel that lifts the cd clamp is a bit loose. Maybe that's the case with the other one as well or worse.

I am also about to receive the service manual of the Yamaha CDV S 100 and i noticed when i opened the S 100 as well as the M 777 that the innards have similarities. Maybe Plubius can walk me through about how i can mod it to output digital.

Yamaha CDV M777

Yamaha CDV S 100

Btw, notice how the M 777 as well as the Philips CDV 185 are square and the latter models wider to fit in with the 43 cm range of all other av equipment. You can see that the S100 has spare room because of being similar or the same as the m777.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2017, 21:56 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Today i received the Service Manual for the Yamaha CDV S 100.
It is over 61 pages and has maps of print layouts, a few in colour.
http://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Yamaha/CDV/CDV-S-100-EN_Service_manual_Scan.pdf

I will need it anyway to look for replacement belts etc for the M 777 as that is for the most part similar.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2017, 07:51 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I'll have to keep a look out for an M777. I've just bought two more S100s.
Another thing I've bought is a Sony DSP-501. This is rather like the Pioneer DA-1, a unit designed to take the unprocessed EFM signal from an early consumer LD player without digital audio circuitry, but with a suitable output. I'm hoping I can use the circuitry as a model to develop a SPDIF output mod for the CDV-S100. If not I'll try something else!

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2017, 04:09 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I am very looking forward to see your project succeed. ;)
What i could see from the inside the M777 and the S100 are basically the same. A pity i have 2 non working M777's.
Have you managed to get your Pioneer working?

One detail i just noticed this evening on the remote of the Pioneer.
It can skip indices!
Now indices are sort of subchapters on a regular cd. Mostly those 2 seconds silence between some tracks are index 0 and index 1 the actual song.
But also cd's with more indices existed (technically up to 99). But very few.
I only have two of them, J M Jarre's Revolution and Trionfi (Carmina Burana) of Carl Orff.
Some players displayed indices as well as half of the cdv players i have. I think because making cd's with these indices was also around the same time of the cdv at the end of the 80's or so. (Daisy cd's (spoken books) could have benefitted from that as having up to 99 "pages" to skip per chapter, but Daisy cd's used other techniques or que points or whatever and even could implement mp3's so more of a cd rom type).

Actual skipping to a certain index were very few devices that could do that.
I had a discman Sony D99 that could do that (though not program that) and the cdv player of Pioneer seems to be capable of doing so i just tested with the Carl Orff cd.
And to my surprise, i have the other remotes on my lap now, the Sony has also that function and the Yamaha S100, but not on the M777, so M777 and S100 are different in a way then despite looking similar inside. The Sharp remote i can't be sure as i have no way to test it, nor is there any information of the elusive CDV Boombox. There are extra enboxed skip symbols next to the search symbols.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2017, 01:14 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I have started a new topic just for working on the S100/M777. I'm pretty sure those two "controllers" are for karaoke purposes, by the way.

Yamaha CDV-S100 / CDV-M777 servicing & modifications

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2019, 15:35 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Oke, this time another head scratcher of Sharp.

Not about the Sharp QT 301CV, which went in front of our noses.

But i came across another Sharp CD/CDV only player as a component of a midi system in a small brochure i purchased where the system is called LIVE 900 CDV.
The CDV Player is called CD-V900 BK and the Remote goes by the same name CD-V900.
ImageImage

The brochure also shows CD-only systems and even a DAT recorder at the last page.
On the last page you can also find some of the differences between the systems what they are capable of.

I uploaded the whole brochure to Dropbox, see this link

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2019, 00:38 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

for the difference between the CDV and CD player, is there any major difference in the cost of manufacture? I mean it just seems like there should be just the system with the CDV since it plays both optical discs and wouldn't require a different model which could be pricey to build and sell.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2019, 05:27 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

xtempo wrote:
for the difference between the CDV and CD player, is there any major difference in the cost of manufacture? I mean it just seems like there should be just the system with the CDV since it plays both optical discs and wouldn't require a different model which could be pricey to build and sell.

CDV is laserdisc, just a name given to 5 inch discs with up to a laserdisc video recorded on it. VCD was also out with was original MPEG. So you need completely different servo controls to read the CDV that is disabled to not needed for CD only. Remember laserdisc is an analog FM format, it is not digital.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2019, 15:35 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

krbahr wrote:
xtempo wrote:

CDV is laserdisc, just a name given to 5 inch discs with up to a laserdisc video recorded on it. VCD was also out with was original MPEG. So you need completely different servo controls to read the CDV that is disabled to not needed for CD only. Remember laserdisc is an analog FM format, it is not digital.

right I was forgetting.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2019, 14:15 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Yes, it is dedicated laserdisc hardware in order to only play the few minutes video portion of a 5" disc, that makes it such a nice product.
Even so more the price, (target audience would be teenagers not having the money for it, including me back then) and the inability to play the larger discs. (See the Techmoan video about him being tempted back in the day of buying the Philips one, but because the inability to play the 8" music singles withheld him from buying it.
I recall good cd players being around 400 to 600 guilders, don't know quick how many dollars in 1988 would be, but the Philips CDV 185 (the only one available in The Netherlands, or any PAL region) would have cost 1000 guilders so approx. double the price.
So, you've got a hand full of players only manufactured in Netherlands and Belgium and the NTSC ones only in Japan and only around 1988 and double the price of a cd player for only a few minutes of video.

That's what i like about that sort of dedication they put into it. :twisted: 8-)

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2019, 16:45 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I bought my first LD player for under $400 in 1992, a Discman around the same time was $200 if it was a good Sony. It wasn’t the kind of purchase a teenager could make more than once a year unless the teenager was in a John Hughes movie and has tens of thousands of dollars in gear for some reason.* It’s hard to imagine a CDV ghetto blaster being much cheaper at all since it has to have almost everything an LD player has PLUS amp, speakers, tuner, whatever else. It would have to cost at least $400 and that’s with cheap speakers and everything else.

Would I buy one off eBay for $40 now? Totally. However back in the day it’s hard for me to justify this kind of product. Only if CDV actually took off would it make sense and that never happened even in singles-crazy Europe and Japan. It’s a really doomed bad idea device, the CDV-only player. You’re lucky to have a half dozen CDVs and when you aren’t watching them you’re hauling around a jambox that works about as well as ones that cost half the price or less.

* Ferris Beuller’s Emulator II was $10,000 in the mid 80s. As much as TWO new economy cars. What kid had that? Even actual pro synth pop groups would rent the one the studio had usually. The way those movies made every kid in the world feel poor sickens me.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2019, 17:16 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Kids don’t have $10,000 instruments at home. OK, if they play piano or the harp or something that is impossible to make cheap, sure, and they’re devoted to the instrument, but you have to be LOADED to buy an $10,000 sampling keyboard just play around with and use to skip school. His sister got the car but it was just a Fiero so probably close to the same price.

Weird Science, to me, was confusing because the cool kinds and the uncool kids looked the same to me, rich as hell. Neither is even slightly sympathetic. Then a magic computer lady comes and makes them slightly richer looking but won’t get down with them so their life isn’t improved at all there’s just a 928 in the driveway for some reason.

Around the time this movie was made Jordan’s were like $60 in the US. I had them, lots of kids did, I don’t know what’s up with bonkers shoe prices in other countries. Now they are like $200 I think. I don’t know. I think Jordan is a massive jerk so I wasn’t a regular customer.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2019, 03:37 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Apparantly the Sharp CDV Boombox had gone by on the Yahoo auction but i missed it :( .
Mwaah, though i do have the remote of the device.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m364884140

But at least we now can see more pictures of the device. It looks like it has a TV Tuner as well :shock: Or maybe that is only for the audio i don't know.

Maybe the list of players can be updated as well because of now seeing what the peripherals of the device actually are, though i guess antenna peripherals only on the video side . For passthrough or CDV Playback and one for analog TV reception.

Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next