It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:10

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Question about voltage transformer 220v-110v
PostPosted: 12 Aug 2017, 13:19 
I bought a laserdisc player from USA and got it home two days ago but I need a transformer for it. I tought that would be easy. I live in Norway and we have 220v (or 240v) and 50hz and I have found som transformers I can buy, but then I figured out that they only convert the volt from 220 to 110 and not the 50hz to 60hz.

I was wondering if that would be a problem for a laserdisc player? I have tried to read some about it and heard some say it will be ok for vcr and dvd-players since it use dc volt or something. But what about laserdisc-players?

Post subject: Re: Qustion about voltage transformer 220v-110v
PostPosted: 14 Aug 2017, 04:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good morning Phonenumber,

Lookup ''TASIMO'' Transformers online and they will hopefully be able to assist with your concerns.

There are a number of very good Companies out there who are reputable.

Please let us all know on this forum how you get on,

Kind Regards

:thumbup: :wave:

Post subject: Re: Qustion about voltage transformer 220v-110v
PostPosted: 14 Aug 2017, 05:24 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

No idea about the 50-60hz, you should do a search to find out what that will do or won't do for your player.

Benmbe is in the UK so will know more about this situation that I will, check out the people he recommends.
Or check with a local high end HI-FI shop they will help or will know about what you need.

Post subject: Re: Question about voltage transformer 220v-110v
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2017, 16:18 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Do not worry about the 60Hz. You need a "Step down" Transformer, something like this will do: https://www.amazon.de/Bronson-VT-300-Sp ... B008ZYV26O

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 08:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah I have had a few US players here in Australia (240v) and any step down transformer to 110v is fine. The Hz don't seem to matter.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 12:55 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

A little bit of nitpicking, but the standard in Norway is 230 volt 50 hz and has been that since the 90s. Prior to that, it was 220 volt. If I remember correctly from school, the standard voltage is 120 (and 60 hz) in the US. Not 110 volt, and hasn't been so for quite some time. There are +/- tolerances (10%?), and both voltages are within the acceptable limits. No cause for alarm if you measure the voltage and it isn't exactly at the standard. That is perfectly normal.

Anyhow, as mentioned before, the frequency doesn't matter in this case. A normal 230 to 120 volt transformer will work just fine. Keep in mind that you should get a transformer that can provide at least 25% more watt than what the device draws. If you buy the 100 watt transformer from Clas Ohlson, then you should be fine with more or less all LD players. Depending on how much power the players draw, you could get away with the 50 watt one too.

If you get a HLD-X9 or any of the other high end players that have a bit special power supplies from Japan, then you really should get a 230 to 100 volt transformer. Using US spec transformers seems to be a bit too much on those players. Those are rarely sold around here, so I had to get one custom made.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 21:43 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I've got one from Airlink https://airlinktransformers.com/categor ... converters for my CDV players.
Those are very sturdy old fashioned heavy spools.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2017, 00:00 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

For a power supply that uses switch mode principles, it *SHOULD* be (but may not always be) okay to use a transformer that outputs 50 Hz despite the player wanting a 60 Hz source. However, be aware that some (most commonly but not necessarily older) equipment (powered by linear power supplies) like reel to reel decks or tube amplifiers will not function properly when mismatched to the power frequency source. Cheap LED lamps or motor driven equipment may rely on the mains supply frequency to properly step down the voltage for the electronics being powered.

The safe answer is, IT DEPENDS. You need the schematic of the power supply to determine if this is a safe long term solution for your player.

A simple transformer will not convert the mains supply power frequency. You can provide 220-240v input at 50 Hz, but not get a 60 Hz output (despite getting 110-120v output). The most simple solution to convert the power supply frequency is to use a DC Power supply that is capable of sourcing the proper amount of current to an inverter. Make sure to use a True RMS or Pure Sive Wave inverter, as not doing so could potentially damage your equipment or cause other issues. The inverter you choose should be capable of producing an output at the line frequency your equipment requires (in this case 60 Hz).

If your player states that it requires a 60 Hz power source, it is best to stick with a 60 Hz supply unless you have verified this against the schematic and know for sure it is safe to do so. Not doing this can cause damage to the player which could potentially result in catastrophic failure and resulting fire or other damage. Best to play it safe.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2017, 11:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Unfortunately Airlink Transformers does not ship to Norway. I tried them before I ended up getting one custom made locally.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]