It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 02:41

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Help me figure out which LD players need to go
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2023, 01:27 
Second post
Second post

I very rarely watch LDs these days. Primarily, music/concert related LDs, so am planning on selling some of my players. I'm hoping you all can help me identify the keepers.

I think the clear bottom of the list is the Sony and the Panasonic. I seem to recall the Sony having a nice picture, but I think Sony isn't looked upon favorably. It doesn't have AC3, but I have few AC3 LDs (Phantom Menace, may be the only one).

I think next on the chopping block would be the D505. It has AC3 output, but no digital output that would allow me to use more modern DAC in my receiver.

Do folks agree those three should be the first to go?

I think I've seen that the DVL-90 is preferred to the DVL-909. Is that right? The 909 has component outs, but I believe even with these units it is till best to use the composite outs. Is that right? ( I have no interest in using these to play DVDs). Curious how the 59 is viewed vs. the 90/909. It's a bit older, with a few less outputs, but doesn't have the DVD compatibility bloat.

Pioneer CLD-59
Pioneer DVL-90
Pioneer DVL-909
Pioneer CLD-D505
Sony MDP-750
Panasonic LX-200

Post subject: Re: Help me figure out which LD players need to go
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2023, 04:44 
Site Admin
Site Admin

johndionysus wrote:
The 909 has component outs, but I believe even with these units it is till best to use the composite outs. Is that right? ( I have no interest in using these to play DVDs).

Component outs on DVL players is only for DVDs, they are useless if you only intend to play LDs.

If DVD is not needed, I wouldn't keep the DVL players -- more mechanics, dual optical pickup, more troubles ahead.

Did you try to play your favorite LDs in composite/S-video on each player?
Which one gives you the best perceived quality on your display?

Julien

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2023, 05:57 
Second post
Second post

admin wrote:
Component outs on DVL players is only for DVDs, they are useless if you only intend to play LDs.

If DVD is not needed, I wouldn't keep the DVL players -- more mechanics, dual optical pickup, more troubles ahead.

Did you try to play your favorite LDs in composite/S-video on each player?
Which one gives you the best perceived quality on your display?

Julien

I did a few years ago but wasn't really sure what to look for and how to look, if that makes sense. Do you need multiple copies of the same LD to AB test simultaneously? Or is it just something you pick up after repeated viewings of the same discs on the different players?

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2023, 09:04 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Firstly I’ll have to admit that my thoughts align with those of Julien regarding the DVL players so for me they could certainly go. Sony I definitely wouldn’t be bothered about keeping; and likewise the Panasonic, so between the CLD-59 or CLD-D505 it would the former of the two for me - the main reason for this being (as you mentioned) the lack of any digital output for dts playback and also no possibility of using a potentially higher quality external dac if so desired.
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2023, 12:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Isn't Panasonic an alright brand?

Even if you keep it, you'd still be left with three players which oughta be plenty in case one of them fails.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2023, 12:24 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Yes fair point regarding Panasonic, was really just considering the lack of spares rather than unreliability and if it still functions well, then as you suggested would be wise to retain it as a back up machine.
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2023, 15:00 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I wouldn’t get rid of any of them.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2023, 16:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:

even the DVLs?

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2023, 19:05 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I agree with Zeta.

Working players will continue to diminish to the point there will be no more left and keeping what you have that still works is a good thing. Now if any of the players in question are broken, the first that would be deemed difficult to repair and not worth keeping would be the Sony and Panasonic since they have the least options in respect to obtaining spare parts. The next in line would be the DVL's due to their complicated design.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2023, 20:22 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

takeshi666 wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

even the DVLs?

None of the players on the list are that great but I would keep them all, even the Sony. I like my LDs a lot and players are getting harder and harder to find.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2023, 02:39 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

People here probably know that I prefer Laserdisc only players as there are less parts to go bad.

If you are never going to play DVD's then I'd get rid of those. The DVL-90 will develop grip ring issues like the CLD-D704 and CLD-99 players the DVL-909 will not have grip ring issues, and I'd had some to repair where the DVD pickup has issues that that prevents a good CD/LD section from working. You could probably get more for the DVL-90 as it is an Elite machine. Also if side B playback works smoothly in the first 2 minutes without skipping or jumping back then that is a plus.

The Sony's with the exception of the 850 all have issues and the ones I've seen (I have not seen the 750) had a grainy picture. They require a special test jig to calibrate and I don't know anyone who has one. You won't be able to get this serviced in the future

The Panasonic will need the AC-3 modification but these are harder to service than the Pioneers. Panasonic did make some good machines but less flexible to performing alignments.

The CLD-59 and CLD-D505 are decent players but for longevity they need the improved motor holder as the original gray colored one will age and break. The CLD-59 will give you better options.

You can keep one of the DVL players and remove the Mholder from the DVD laser and put it in the CLD-59 or CLD-D505 as that is the improved MHolder. Then keep the CD/LD laser as that is the same one that is used in the CLD-59 and CLD-D505 (just need to transfer the front plastic added piece on the laser body).

I've seen all of these go bad so I'd just stick with Pioneer as there are more of these out there so finding good used parts has a higher percentage of success. I'd keep a DVl player just for the improved Mholder and then decide if you keep the 59 or the 59 and the 505.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]