It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 12:25

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: CLD-1010 owners
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2012, 01:58 
Serious fan
Serious fan

ive had mine for a couple of months...picture is quite good

.....but rewinding and fast forwarding is quirky,and you cant see the picture while its in progress....

I'm not using the original remote(didnt come with it)

with my good remotes..they work but not from further than 3-4 feet...also the scroll wheel doesnt work

is it any better with the original remote????

Post subject: Re: CLD-1010 owners
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2012, 04:44 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

jazz2future wrote:
ive had mine for a couple of months...picture is quite good

.....but rewinding and fast forwarding is quirky,and you cant see the picture while its in progress....

I'm not using the original remote(didnt come with it)

with my good remotes..they work but not from further than 3-4 feet...also the scroll wheel doesnt work

is it any better with the original remote????

This was actually an entry level unit for features, will will only see video scanning CAV LD's as with all entry level players with no digital video memory.

The original remote did not have a jog/shuttle dial. If you are only getting 3 to 4 feet then either your batteries are weak of the 1010 receive window is dirty or not properly aligned.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2012, 05:35 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The 1010 was not an entry level player. It was actually quite fancy. The reason it doesn't have trick play features is because its from 1987. Only LD players with digital frame buffers can do CLV freeze frame, visible CLV scanning, etc and I'm not sure any of these even existed in 1987. I know the LD-W1 did, but that was a year later and a really expensive unit.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2012, 05:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:
The 1010 was not an entry level player. It was actually quite fancy. The reason it doesn't have trick play features is because its from 1987. Only LD players with digital frame buffers can do CLV freeze frame, visible CLV scanning, etc and I'm not sure any of these even existed in 1987. I know the LD-W1 did, but that was a year later and a really expensive unit.

Well, he only said it was an entry level player for features.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2012, 07:59 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

naiaru wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

Well, he only said it was an entry level player for features.

The only way you can consider it "entry level" is if you consider its place in the market now. In today's world, this player isn't worth much, therefore its "entry level". In 1987 there was nothing entry level about it.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2012, 12:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

When new it was Pioneers top player and the very first player released to play the 5 inch CD-Video discs. It was also the first to have a fully automatic loading drawer - prior players had drawers that you had to pull open and close manually.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2012, 14:15 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

It also had red laser,right? Or was it some other 1000 series player?

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2012, 14:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yes, the 1010 uses a red laser - I'm the one that wrote the review of it on Blaine's website that keeps getting used on eBay auctions and such. Anyway, the 1010 was Pioneers first player to use noise reduction and it softens the picture slightly, kind of a "smudged" look as well as making the image look busy in transition areas from dark to light. The noise reduction is a simple analog coring, so it doesn't have the artifacts like ghosting that the later digital noise reduction has, but it can be irritating since it isn't defeatable.

The 1010 was Pioneers last player to use 2 seperate motors for CD and LaserDisc playback. It had no digital or sub code output, so if you want DTS or to decode PCM tracks with an outboard converter the player will have to be modified. Its D/A converters are standard linear 16-bit with only 2x oversampling and it doesn't track defects on CD's all that well. Its resolution is just a hair under 400 lines, which High Fidelity Magazine confirmed in their review of it. It's analog sound is awful - it has a boxy, cardboard sound that seems pushed in the lower midrange with a slightly dull top end.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2012, 15:05 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:

My Pioneer cld-3030 has digital field memory. Mine has a manufacture date of 1988 time. It's listed here as already being made in 1987

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/pioneer1.htm

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2012, 18:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The Elite LD-S1 was the first player to have digital effects and it was released just after the 1010 came out - then Pioneer released the 30xx series of players with side changing and digital FX as well as the LD-W1 which, in its video and audio processing, was an Elite model without the name or look, and a new a elite model, the CLD-91. The CLD-1010 was not in Pioneer's line up very long before they introduced the new players - it was on the US market for maybe 6 months before the new models were introduced. After that, it could be bought new for $400 from J&R Music World and many other places.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2012, 04:05 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Today I received my CLD-1010 I got from Rixrex.....and after alot of testing my various discs I will give my views on it.

Firstly it's a solid machine just like my cld-1030 and cld-3030 are, and the 1010 is just as quiet when playing a disc too. (compared to more noisy players) If you want to play 3" cd you will need those 5" adapters, and for the 8" thinner LD I needed to use my LD single adapter (won't work without I tried)

The sound quality is pretty good, even the analog depending the disc. (some discs just have a poor analog track)

So as to the red laser.......I tried a rot CDV and not much improvment pic and sound but did start playing it right away (as do my 1030 and 3030) My newer cld-53 will play the video track but takes alot longer before it finds it. My Marine Flower LD that has defect last track (laser lock) the 1010 will play into it about as far as my cld-53 does, but my 1030 and 3030 will play further into the track before issues. So I can't say big differences the 1010 as to rot or disc defects. Any discs I tried with occasional speckl still came through.

Now here is where I noticed things :) The True North LD chapter 5 with the Northern Lights dark scene, where the pic is a bit grainy/snowy/fuzzy looking. The 1010 cleared that right up. It was like the difference between a good copy and a poor copy :thumbup: The Portrait of Africa LD has a bit grainy look to the video, and did quite an improvement to that :thumbup: as well as the Canyon Dreams LD improving the bit fuzzy look giving a sharper picture.

I also tried some of my underwater scenery discs. My latest Marine Fantasia (1985) where some footage has that grey/cloudy look to it, and the 1010 cleared some of that cloudyness up. :thumbup:

So where I noticed improvements, is where the red laser really handles it well, so results really depend what type video footage your watching.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2012, 04:51 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I can tell you that the red laser machines need proper servo adjustments just like all the other players to track without locking up or skipping. The servo's may be off a little.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2012, 05:51 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

krbahr wrote:
I can tell you that the red laser machines need proper servo adjustments just like all the other players to track without locking up or skipping. The servo's may be off a little.

Well the servo might be a little off, but the LD I was testing which locks has problems in all my players, so the disc definatley has a defect to it of some kind. I haven't tried my Discovision discs yet, but will see how it handles them.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2012, 02:16 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Interesting I have a 5" Pal CDV which of course I can't play the video track. I tried in my other players just to see, but it doesn't play the video part. So I tried it in my 1010 just to see......and after a bit of searching, it then did a time search for 0:00 and started playing the video. The video was smooth no jitters but had some colour spots. Not perfect but still watchable. Being a PDO UK disc might have been rot (as members posted alot of PDO CDV are rotted) I'm not sure if my LCD flatscreen is Pal combatible? Or the red laser was able to play the Pal even though it is not Pal compatible. My player is dual voltage model but I don't think that would make a difference.

Now I wish I would have kept the other 3 Pal CDV I use to have that I sold. :thumbdown:

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2012, 05:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I'm glad to hear it arrived in proper condition. Also surprised that it played PAL, but I had never tried that on it, though I have a bunch of PAL discs that I play on my D515. And then your TV set handled it too? Really interesting and peculiar. I'm more surprised about the TV than the player. I have to put my D515 when playing PAL through a DVDO HD plus to convert it to an HD format, as it also does with NTSC.

I really don't know if that particular player was a unique one that is able to handle PAL discs and output them in NTSC, and was dual voltage for the reason that it was originally sold someplace where both PAL and NTSC would be available, and where one might encounter different voltages, such as South America?

Might be worth purchasing another PAL disc just to check it out further, and if it works out, you got a sweet bonus. I collect PAL discs of titles that weren't released in the US on NTSC. There's actually quite a few really good ones, like Taps, 99 and 44/100% Dead, The Seawolves, and lots more.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2012, 21:45 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Yes I'm quite supprised too. Could very well be being dual voltage the one I got was made for a NTSC/PAL country. (being the 1010 was also made in cld-1050 PAL player for Europe)) There were lots of 5" CDV released in Pal that were not released in NTSC, as well as movies. I just bought today a Phillips 5" CDV Test demonstration disc in PAL and can't wait to try it when it arrives.

My TV is a Toshiba LCD made 2008 in case your wondering what I'm using.

EDIT....Ok I just tried my Polaroid brand LCD tv. Staight from the LD player right into the TV with the composite inputs (with no video processing) It displays the picture just as good as the Toshiba does. So unless both TV are accepting PAL (which I doubt) The player must be processing the PAL signal to a NTSC signal. Once I get more PAL discs to try further.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2012, 06:24 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I bet you anything that it is processing the PAL into NTSC. I also would bet that LD player is either from South America or Hong Kong, and probably Hong Kong. Or it may have been sold in a military post exchange. I have two MDP-V series Sony players from Hong Kong that will play PAL CD videos and convert them to NTSC. However, they do state on the back that they do this. This being the case, I doubt it will play PAL LDs, as my Sony players will not. But they are the rare better quality Sony's that have AC3 output and are silver cases, so they are a great match for 80s vintage stuff and silver/gray toned stuff, so I keep them.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2012, 07:40 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Many NTSC players will play PAL discs at the wrong speed, without audio (because the carrier frequencies are wrong). It's very unusual, though, that colour should appear when doing this, because the subcarrier frequency is all wrong.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2012, 17:58 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

publius wrote:
Many NTSC players will play PAL discs at the wrong speed, without audio (because the carrier frequencies are wrong). It's very unusual, though, that colour should appear when doing this, because the subcarrier frequency is all wrong.

I am getting the audio sound though as well.

So if the Sony's just play the PAL CDV mine is probably that way too. I'm going to get a full size PAL LD and see what it does with that.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2012, 20:33 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If you're getting audio along with the video, the player has onboard circuitry to play PAL LDs. The laser has nothing to do with it.

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next