It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 02:39

Page 6 of 6 [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: MSB LS-1 Platinum WOW
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2013, 04:58 
The avforums one is a u.k based forum, that is where the one from the u.k came from. I was very lucky that there were two players the same available at the same time.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2013, 05:04 
I am looking at buying a junior caption decoder, would the composite cable go into this and then composite into the hdmi upconvertor. If the caption decoder is in before the hdmi then will the hdmi carry the closed caption signal. I have read some reports that say hdmi will not carry captions, And others that say hdmi can. So I was thinking if I decode the signal before the hdmi upconvertor then the caption signal would already be decoded and would be carried by hdmi.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2013, 05:15 
cpix wrote:
estott1967 wrote:
You have a hld and an s9. You are very lucky and a wise buyer. I have not seen a hld for a long time. In your opinion is the s9 close to the hld?

The difference between the s9 and the x9 is almost none, but there are some differences that i enjoy, and that is that the x9 does not have the white smear that the s9 have (it's black instead, so not as visible). Also it have less crosstalk issues because of its red laser, which has a more narrow bandwidth. With picture quality it's hard to tell them apart, especially on my pioneer kuro, which cleans up the picture a lot and have a great comb filter.

Hi Cpix, I have only a 110 volt transformer, I have ordered a 100 volt transformer. In australia we are on 240 volt. Do you have the ld s9 plugged into 100 volt or 110 volt?. I have read that japanese machine are 100 volt. Would the 110 volt destroy the machine?.

thank you, Edward

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2013, 05:23 
estott1967 wrote:
Yes lizard king, I have always liked your handle. I was lucky enough that Duncan had one in stock. I also just managed to buy a second one off avforums. Now I just have to wait to watch some laserdiscs with the s9.

The one that is coming from Duncan will have I think australian voltage as well. The one from the avforums (U.K) is stock standard, and I think that means 100 volt?. Duncan is modifying the one he has to run off Australian 240 voltage.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2013, 05:52 
estott1967 wrote:
Yes lizard king, I have always liked your handle. I was lucky enough that Duncan had one in stock. I also just managed to buy a second one off avforums. Now I just have to wait to watch some laserdiscs with the s9.

I do not want to blow the one from avforums up. It is from the u.k but is a stock standard japanese machine. So I think the power is 100 volts? Not sure, I do not want to ruin a good player. All of my other machines are 240 volt or 110 volt. I did not stop to think that there was a 100 volt area.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2013, 08:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

All japanese players should be 100 Volt.
My X9 sure is.
You can buy step down converters for 100 Volt (got mine from Japan).

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2013, 09:13 
True fan
True fan

estott1967 wrote:
estott1967 wrote:

I do not want to blow the one from avforums up. It is from the u.k but is a stock standard japanese machine. So I think the power is 100 volts? Not sure, I do not want to ruin a good player. All of my other machines are 240 volt or 110 volt. I did not stop to think that there was a 100 volt area.

I have used 115V on my S9 earlier, the power supply is rated at 120AVC if i remember correctly, but it's always safer to use a 100V step-down either way. They are not as common as 110V, and be sure to buy one that doesn't overheat after only 1 hour of usage. I bought mine from here http://www.airlinktransformers.com/cat7 ... rters.html

- pix

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2013, 09:43 
thank you lons_vex and cpix

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2013, 12:50 
Serious fan
Serious fan

estott1967 wrote:
I am looking at buying a junior caption decoder, would the composite cable go into this and then composite into the hdmi upconvertor. If the caption decoder is in before the hdmi then will the hdmi carry the closed caption signal. I have read some reports that say hdmi will not carry captions, And others that say hdmi can. So I was thinking if I decode the signal before the hdmi upconvertor then the caption signal would already be decoded and would be carried by hdmi.

1. HDMI does not support closed captions.
2. The decoder will overlay the closed captions onto the picture, making them open captions.
3. Therefore, your resulting HDMI display can include the captions.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2013, 07:51 
thank you msgohan

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2018, 00:06 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

You're in luck as I have been planning to upload this magazine scan of a review of this player for a while now.

So here it is:

Page 6 of 6 [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6