It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:03

Page 5 of 5 [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: CLD-3030 Chassis-based LD players
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 16:52 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

chaniyth wrote:
Really excellent thread tasuke, thank you for taking the time to showcase all of these CLD-3030 chassis-based Laserdisc players. :thumbup:

thank you, i'm kind of obsessed with the model series, actually. the 3030, specifically, was the first LDP i ever saw, -almost 20 years back-
that was, cosmetically, Love at First Sight.

there are, of course far superior models out there to be had, but damn if the 3030/99S series' cosmetics don't fairly scream "Late-1980's Home Video Revolution"
an all-too-short-lived cosmetic design ethos that speaks directly to my soul...

((the top model's A/V performance really ain't half-shabby at all, either, TBH.))

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2017, 17:51 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Won a $20 CLD-3030, complete with remote control, off of eBay. It was presumed by the seller that it needed repair. Tasuke has mentioned it many times, and I agree with him on the cosmetics of this 80's player.
Very nice condition with very little scratches on top of the facia panel, otherwise excellent.
I bought it with the intention of repairing it and I have gotten the two belts at Pacparts for future needs.
To my surprise, it works very good and it is very quiet in operation. The only thing I have stumbled upon by now is that the chapter search sometimes uses longer time, but nothing major. Had no problems watching two discs the other night.
At least, one more laserdisc player is saved from the unevitable death.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2017, 19:34 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

laserpaal wrote:
The only thing I have stumbled upon by now is that the chapter search sometimes uses longer time, but nothing major.

While I have never owned a 3030 if its anything like the 3070 then it will take a little time to chapter search.

Its an older player and not as fast lets say as a newer later made player.
Unless its taking a really long time.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2017, 20:54 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

rein-o wrote:
laserpaal wrote:
The only thing I have stumbled upon by now is that the chapter search sometimes uses longer time, but nothing major.

While I have never owned a 3030 if its anything like the 3070 then it will take a little time to chapter search.

Its an older player and not as fast lets say as a newer later made player.
Unless its taking a really long time.

It felt like it was struggling to lock on to specific chapters midways and did "hang" a while before I could go to a previous chapter.
Later on those specific chapters were easy for the laser to locate when there had been movement all along the guide rail from start to end. From what I know it could have been the results of a player that has been sitting in storage for years without use.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2017, 17:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

it pretty much is. it's beneficial to give the player a good fresh relube. pop the top, expel the disc tray, and you'll have direct access to the laser sled transverse assy.

you can use WHITE LITHIUM GREASE and a light general purpose oil, though if you have affordable access to it, a Silicon-based grease is considered best.

the brass worm-drive shaft, and the guide shafts are the primary things to lubricate. GREASE for the WORM, OIL for the GUIDES;

this alone should correct most, if not all playback faults. it would be best to remove the disc tray entirely, to grease the gearwork underneath,
but that is not essential, and the timing gear for the tray drive shaft must be aligned properly with the tray's teeth track to be properly reassembled...

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2017, 11:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The player works even better after a couple of uses. Trying to find a suitable spot for it, but it is quite heavy. One thing I dislike with the Pioneer players in general are the mechanical noises during operation, but this particular one is very quiet in comparison to the other player models in my collection. I guess the weight of the player also plays an important role and it seems that later models did get lesser weight and that may have contributed to generate more unwanted noise in general. I guess they had to unwillingly accept it if they should keep the weight as low as possible within thresholds.
The Panasonic LX-600 I have is much more quieter in operation and also not as heavy.

What are your noise level opinions about Pioneer vs. other brands? Are Pioneer in general more noisier than others?

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2017, 17:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserpaal wrote:
What are your noise level opinions about Pioneer vs. other brands? Are Pioneer in general more noisier than others?

don't know. my experience in LDPs is strictly limited to PIONEER models. sorry...

Quote:
the legendary "Ah! My Goddess" Manga; Chapter 2, page 43 of the recent OMNIBUS edition, Vol.1; a CLD-99S in this guy's A/V shelf;

(SONY SUPER BETA SL-HF1000 directly underneath)

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2019, 04:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

There's somebody selling a CLD-99S right here in Finland. I'm seriously considering it. Unfortunately I'd have to buy a new voltage adaptor, new A/V cables (because my existing RCA leads are really susceptible to interference) and probably a remote as well.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2019, 14:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2019, 14:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

(((( PIONEER VIDEO COMPONENTS 1988 ((AAFES U.S. MILITARY POST EXCHANGE MARKET PRINTING))))))

(((( PIONEER "CHERRY BLOSSOM SALE" 1989 AT Misawa, Japan PX ))))

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2019, 20:13 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have always thought the picture on both the 3030 and LD-W1 was better if you turn off the digital memory.

The weakest design point that I've come across is the tray drive gear. It's a pole that runs the full width of the try and has gears at each end. The gears are extremely brittle and crack, which causes the drawer to make thumping sounds. I'm on a constant lookout for players that are being parted out just to recover these gear assemblies.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2019, 03:26 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

blam1 wrote:
I have always thought the picture on both the 3030 and LD-W1 was better if you turn off the digital memory.

That is correct. The field memory on these two players appear to reduce resolution if left on during “normal” playback. It’s always best to turn it off right away after you initially turn on the player. I think Pioneer realized this was a bad thing so in the subsequent models they kept it shut off afterwards but went on as needed for CLV special effects playback.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2019, 15:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

blam1 wrote:

The weakest design point that I've come across is the tray drive gear. It's a pole that runs the full width of the try and has gears at each end. The gears are extremely brittle and crack, which causes the drawer to make thumping sounds. I'm on a constant lookout for players that are being parted out just to recover these gear assemblies.

i completely dismantled and greased everything on my own 3030 years ago, and it has been nothing short of a reliable champ to this day...

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2019, 18:52 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

My W1 broke. I fixed the original problem but now that it’s back together it won’t clamp hard enough when the laser is on the bottom (Sides 2 and 4) to avoid slipping but plays great in sides 1 and 3. Seeing the 3030 insides reminded me of all this...

...got to get that thing going again...

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2019, 16:52 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

laserpaal wrote:
The only thing I have stumbled upon by now is that the chapter search sometimes uses longer time, but nothing major..

Although I know this was an older post, thought I’d mention something about it.

I’ve had my 3030 from day one and it has always occasionally had issues searching chapters or even simply identifying an LD. I think I was told from years ago that it was related to Image Entertainment pressings when they were trying some new encoding scheme but I could be wrong.

Last edited by ldfan on 03 Dec 2019, 06:29, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2019, 17:17 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

ldfan wrote:
laserpaal wrote:
The only thing I have stumbled upon by now is that the chapter search sometimes uses longer time, but nothing major..

Although I know this was an older post, thought I’d mention something about it.

I’ve had my 3030 from day one and it has always occasional had issues searching chapters or even simply identifying an LD. I think I was told from years ago that it was related to Image Entertainment pressings when they were trying some new enclosing scheme But I could be wrong.

Do you mean when it sometimes would have a clucking grinding sound and then hit the chapter a little longer than other discs?
I've had that on my 3070 since new also, I think its just about the technology at the time.

Never heard of the image discs before, can't remember now which discs would have done it but we did have a lot of image discs
when starting the collection. :think:

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2019, 03:23 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

rein-o wrote:

Do you mean when it sometimes would have a clucking grinding sound and then hit the chapter a little longer than other discs?
I've had that on my 3070 since new also, I think its just about the technology at the time.

No grinding noise. It’s just the disc constantly speeding up and slowing down and I think it’s the player trying to find the TOC (table of contents). And come to think of it, I think that was the issue that only discs with a TOC gave me issues.

rein-o wrote:
Never heard of the image discs before, can't remember now which discs would have done it but we did have a lot of image discs
when starting the collection. :think:

I could still be wrong about the Image discs being an issue. I could be mixing it up with issues related to the 90 series players and this issue with the 3030 could be something totally different.

PostPosted: 16 May 2021, 15:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

PostPosted: 16 May 2021, 18:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I want that.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2022, 19:16 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Here is another chassis based on the 1030/3030 design; the CLD-360 for the Japanese market.

Interesting that it's somewhat of a portable unit in the likes of a CLD-V2800......

Page 5 of 5 [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5