It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:37

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: CLD-D925 or DVL-909/919E
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2014, 14:51 
How close are these models in terms of picture quality? Has anyone done test pattern on both to compare?

Old reviews suggest the 909/919E LD is a CLD D-925 even though they do have a different turn mechanism, Other reviews say the picture quality is the same and some say the 909/919E is worse and vice versa.

On the other hand I think Pioneers qouted specs for the 909/919E put it above the D925.

So what's the deal here? Does anyone have a solid opinion on the matter or screen captures to back up the picture quality of one over another? :)

Post subject: Re: CLD-D925 or DVL-909/919E
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2014, 15:06 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

My 5 cents, I have both but if I were you get a CLD-D925 it has better picture quality compared to the DVL models, also the DVL models are crappy DVD players (my DVL is getting a bit dusty these days :lol: )

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2014, 15:56 
True fan
True fan

I second that ;)

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2014, 16:53 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I'd take the CLD-D25 every time.

No comparison other than if you after a machine with better cosmetic looks the DVL is aesthetically more pleasing to the eye (especially the European champagne gold machines which don't look out of place even beside an HLD-X9).

Also I hate the DVD style remote on the DVL machines. This is really clumsy to use if you a laserdisc fan compared with the earlier remotes on conventional LD only players. It is also missing the most useful control on the entire remote - the rotary dial.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2014, 17:02 
I did get a champagne rotary dial remote with my DVL-919E not sure if it is original to the model but it works and has dvd functions too.

It is better than the one above you mentioned.

According to laserdiscarchive.co.uk

Japanese/Hong Kong Model (Note: the remote supplied with the champagne model is only available on the
Japanese model.

Last edited by Guest on 16 Mar 2014, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2014, 17:06 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

whitesnake wrote:
I did get a champagne rotary dial remote with my DVL-919E not sure if it is original to the model but it works and has dvd functions too.

That is a nice remote and the one I prefer - very similiar to older models other than it is gold and looks great.
The slimline one with the pull down panel I have for the DVL-909 machines is really an awful design. What was Pioneer thinking of?

I assume that Hong Kong machine you have cannot play PAL LDs?

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2014, 17:10 
Yeah the other remote is ok but ideal. This one does however work with jog and shuttle on both LD/DVD playback so that is pretty cool. It has a nice button for light illumination of the playback buttons.

It does also have a DNR button which doesn't seem to anything from what I can tell.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2014, 17:22 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

The remote you have shown does seem to have some of the features of the HLD-X9 or at the least the aesthetic look!

You may find the following thread of interest where I posted the earlier Pioneer remote directly alongside the HLD-X9 remote and compared.

Differences in the remote control for the HLD-X9

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2014, 17:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

If you've got both, try them out and see!

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2014, 20:32 
laserdisc_fan wrote:
whitesnake wrote:

That is a nice remote and the one I prefer - very similiar to older models other than it is gold and looks great.
The slimline one with the pull down panel I have for the DVL-909 machines is really an awful design. What was Pioneer thinking of?

I assume that Hong Kong machine you have cannot play PAL LDs?

It isn't a Hong Kong machine it is a UK one.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2014, 16:05 
I have both not done any direct tests but the first thing that struck me was the 909 had a darker image on the same settings.That could be down to the age of the machines though.The DVD is crap but who would use a15 year old 1st gen player anyway.Glad you got the better remote the other is horrid a jog dial is a must for cav trick play

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2014, 18:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

If you feel comfortable going inside, pop it open and adjust the video output voltage. My D406 from the same era was too dark until I did that.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2014, 17:00 
gunsnroses1972 wrote:
I have both not done any direct tests but the first thing that struck me was the 909 had a darker image on the same settings.That could be down to the age of the machines though.The DVD is crap but who would use a15 year old 1st gen player anyway.Glad you got the better remote the other is horrid a jog dial is a must for cav trick play

I have just been comparing then video quality of both units and they seem to be identical in terms of video quality but like you said the 909/919 looks just a tad darker but in terms of resolvable image detail they look the same. Although my D925 has some vertical bar interference which will most likely never be resolved so I'll stick with the 909/919E

I had a feeling this might be the result I would get.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2014, 17:25 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I've seen some VE snapshots off both the 515 and 925 that look bad - something was very wrong with their filtering. It'd be nice to see one that doesn't!

It's possible that in NTSC mode they aren't filtering out the audio channels (2.3, 2.8mhz) properly. PAL analog is under 1mhz, so the same filters for digital audio work for that.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2014, 19:02 
I haven't seen anyone this vertical bar issue I'm having with the CLD-D925

The HQ circuit does filter it out but I don't think it should be there in the first place.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2014, 19:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I'm seeing some analog pre-echoing with HQ on, and I see a bit of grain in the black, although it's hard to tell with black.

From http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laser ... vl-919.htm:

Quote:
To cut a long story short (in fact the time it took to read the instruction book) the problem was the 919's LD default of the HQ (highly questionable?) mode. Basically, such processing reduces noise at the expense of resolution.

And how. In the lab I made some tests. At 4.8MHz without HQ I measured a fair -9.84 dB from a reference disc. With HQ engaged the spectrum analyzer displayed a wholly unsharp -18.67dB. When HQ was switched off, my Jurassic Park DTS LD returned to normal, with razor-edge resolution and lush colours. The moral of this tale is to avoid HQ totally. In fact, why isn't there a front panel switch to defeat it, as on Pioneer's classic CLD-925 LD-only machine? Indeed why has Pioneer bothered with this image-destroying feature at all? It's totally crazy.

I have a 919 without it's remote - any idea how to disable HQ on it? This sounds like the main reason the DVL's get a bad rep...

And it looks like most of the 919 changes were in the DVD section.

Last edited by happycube on 22 Mar 2014, 02:17, edited 5 times in total. _________________
Happycube Labs: Where the past is being re-made, today. [meep!]

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2014, 02:08 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Whats the difference between 909 and 919 both eu and us versions? Is it the dvd section or ld is different as well?

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2014, 02:59 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I sometimes get vertical bar interference with my CLD-D925 as well. I say sometimes because it really depends on the disc, some have it and its obvious while others its less so. the HQ circuit might filter it out but because the feature is so outdated it sucks the life right out of the image.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2014, 15:18 
happycube wrote:
I'm seeing some analog pre-echoing with HQ on, and I see a bit of grain in the black, although it's hard to tell with black.

From http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laser ... vl-919.htm:

Quote:
To cut a long story short (in fact the time it took to read the instruction book) the problem was the 919's LD default of the HQ (highly questionable?) mode. Basically, such processing reduces noise at the expense of resolution.

And how. In the lab I made some tests. At 4.8MHz without HQ I measured a fair -9.84 dB from a reference disc. With HQ engaged the spectrum analyzer displayed a wholly unsharp -18.67dB. When HQ was switched off, my Jurassic Park DTS LD returned to normal, with razor-edge resolution and lush colours. The moral of this tale is to avoid HQ totally. In fact, why isn't there a front panel switch to defeat it, as on Pioneer's classic CLD-925 LD-only machine? Indeed why has Pioneer bothered with this image-destroying feature at all? It's totally crazy.

I have a 919 without it's remote - any idea how to disable HQ on it? This sounds like the main reason the DVL's get a bad rep...

And it looks like most of the 919 changes were in the DVD section.

I think it can only be done via the remote using the mode button.

Unless there is a way to factory reset the player?

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2014, 15:35 
substance wrote:
Whats the difference between 909 and 919 both eu and us versions? Is it the dvd section or ld is different as well?

I have both and I think the difference is mostly the DVD section but I believe there are subtle differences in the LD section too.

As I've swapped a DVD board from a 909 into a 919 and they don't seem to be fully compatible with the LD board from what I can tell, Although it could be because my 919E has a fault with the analog audio.

I'm still trying to find the source by swapping parts around etc.

The main differences are:

909(US)
20-bit DAC Dolby Digital & NTSC LD (US Model) (Black) Component Out For DVD Only

909(EU)
20-bit DAC Dolby Digital & PAL/NTSC LD (EU Model) (Champagne) Scart Output Not RGB

24-bit DAC Dolby Digital & DTS & NTSC LD (US Model) (Black) Component Out For DVD Only

919E
24-bit DAC Dolby Digital & DTS & PAL/NTSC LD Playback (EU Model) (Champagne) Scart Output Not RGB

There are other 909's out there in parts of Asia 110v/240v (Region 3) that are Champagne and only do NTSC LD playback and have no Component Out or Scart Out
These models also have the V-DNR which lets you adjust the Y and C I'm not sure if that was in the US version or not but it is basically the HQ filter with adjustment which would have been more preferable if they had kept that going forward.

Also some of the LD audio gets processed by the same DAC so you have the added benefit of potentially sharper sound from the superior DAC

I'd be interested to know if it is possible to add component out to 919E I'd assume the circuitry is still there, If someone has one with component out and would like to take a clear internal shot of how it connects to the board I'd love to see it. :)

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next