It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 05:16

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: CLD-D925 or DVL-909/919E
PostPosted: 22 Mar 2014, 18:33 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I don't think 20 vs. 24 bit DACs are relevant anymore as these are on the analog RCA audio jacks. Any AVR will have better DACs for sure.

AFAIK DTS is available for LD on all models. 909 didn't pass DTS from DVD. 919/E has DTS pass through.

AFAIK component output is for DVD only. LD is S-Video and composite only on both 909 and 919/E.

From what you described, Asian models might be US DVL-90/91 models as these have adjustable Y/C and DNR. You can swap a couple of resistors on the US 909 and turn it into a DVL-91. Later 909s have newer firmware which won't allow you this hack.

All of the early Pioneer players(until 2008) have very slow layer change(3+ seconds) and extreme amount of chroma upsampling error(CUE). They use vaddis mpeg decoders made by zoran which unfortunately exhibit CUE. If you really want to improve DVD performance, the best you can do is probably adding SDI output. This will not save you from CUE but all other DSPs are bypassed.

Anyone else can confirm as far as LD goes 909 and 919 are equal?

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2014, 21:43 
substance wrote:
I don't think 20 vs. 24 bit DACs are relevant anymore as these are on the analog RCA audio jacks. Any AVR will have better DACs for sure.

AFAIK DTS is available for LD on all models. 909 didn't pass DTS from DVD. 919/E has DTS pass through.

AFAIK component output is for DVD only. LD is S-Video and composite only on both 909 and 919/E.

From what you described, Asian models might be US DVL-90/91 models as these have adjustable Y/C and DNR. You can swap a couple of resistors on the US 909 and turn it into a DVL-91. Later 909s have newer firmware which won't allow you this hack.

All of the early Pioneer players(until 2008) have very slow layer change(3+ seconds) and extreme amount of chroma upsampling error(CUE). They use vaddis mpeg decoders made by zoran which unfortunately exhibit CUE. If you really want to improve DVD performance, the best you can do is probably adding SDI output. This will not save you from CUE but all other DSPs are bypassed.

Anyone else can confirm as far as LD goes 909 and 919 are equal?

Analog jacks doesn't mean the 20/24-bit DAC it is not relevant as you'll get a higher frequency response, I'll have to do some tests but you should at the very least get a less digitized sound on digital audio LD's and the frequency response on on analog audio LD's should have more head room and possibly more response.

But the answer to your question is the CLDM boards are the same I just switched them from a 909 into a 919 to fix an audio problem. Both boards are dated 1997 pioneer, I'll upload pics tomorrow. :)

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2014, 12:48 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I have both, and video quality seems to be exactly the same; but I LOVE the champagne color... it's so elegant, modern and vintage at the same time!

The only interesting thing in the DVD player features is the fact that it's possible to display the actual bitrate of the played DVD in real time...

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2017, 12:01 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I think its a fine combo player but I rarely ever use the DVD drive on it that can be programmed with the remote control for other DVD regional zones ( I use other DVD players). I k*ke the LD its fine for picture good for sound PCM AC-3 and dts. It can also playback old PAL analouge where's my CLD-2850 can't play old PAL analouge unless it has a modification to allow it.

The colour is nice thou I wanted to original get it black but I have adapted to its nice champagne appearance.

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2