It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:14

Page 1 of 2 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Sony MDP-605
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2014, 23:38 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

So most of us know that Sony LD players are pretty much crap (I've owned one, so I know.)

But puttering around on Craigslist, I came across this one, Sony MDP-605. Didn't think much of it at first, but the promo pages on that LDArchive speak of a pretty good quality player--"more than 51db S/N ratio" for video makes in on par with the Pioneer CLD-D703 and Panasonic LX-900u. I've read that the LX-900u was built in response to the D703, maybe this one was as well? They even made a special edition, MDP-605GX with wood paneling like an Elite :lol:

This one poster on Agoraquest, speaks highly of the player (after already owning another Sony player with the dark, grainy picture problem.) Included a video of the side change mechanism (different from any that I've seen before.)

Anybody have any experience with this player?

Post subject: Re: Sony MDP-605
PostPosted: 22 Mar 2014, 00:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

On the youtube video page, he says: @EmpireLS56KW It's just a pity that, with a player built as well as this thing (better than most Pioneer CLD models) the video performance still doesn't approach that of a decent midrange Pioneer. That, and the problem with board LV-20 with leaky SMD capacitors which made these players unreliable after about 5-10 years, no matter if it was used much or not.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2014, 01:17 
elahrairrah wrote:
So most of us know that Sony LD players are pretty much crap (I've owned one, so I know.)

But puttering around on Craigslist, I came across this one, Sony MDP-605. Didn't think much of it at first, but the promo pages on that LDArchive speak of a pretty good quality player--"more than 51db S/N ratio" for video makes in on par with the Pioneer CLD-D703 and Panasonic LX-900u. I've read that the LX-900u was built in response to the D703, maybe this one was as well? They even made a special edition, MDP-605GX with wood paneling like an Elite :lol:

This one poster on Agoraquest, speaks highly of the player (after already owning another Sony player with the dark, grainy picture problem.) Included a video of the side change mechanism (different from any that I've seen before.)

Anybody have any experience with this player?

I have, JUNK! Yes, the caps leak. No use trying to replace as the electrolyte destroys the copper foil. I have a half dozen of these sitting on the scrap shelf :( :( :(

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2014, 01:37 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I've been thinking about just good we have it with the later NTSC Pioneers, overall. Even when they break, it's usually something common and fixable (I just swapped out the loading belt on a 503-clone I just got, and it started working - although it's taking a long time to stop the disk)

edit: a weekish after a very mild wiping around the spindle motor, it now stops discs normally. Not a bad buy.

Even the mediocre players with recombined composite (5xx, 6xx, and DVL's) aren't actually bad. (If there are such bad ones, feel free to correct me)

(I suspect the Panasonics are, too... but I don't have experience with them, yet)

Last edited by happycube on 31 Mar 2014, 07:57, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Happycube Labs: Where the past is being re-made, today. [meep!]

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2014, 02:25 
happycube wrote:
I've been thinking about just good we have it with the later NTSC Pioneers, overall. Even when they break, it's usually something common and fixable (I just swapped out the loading belt on a 503-clone I just got, and it started working - although it's taking a long time to stop the disk)

Clean (or better) replace the rubber mat at the disc table on the spindle motor. That will make it stop quicker :thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2014, 03:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Sounds good - been planning on ordering a few of those along with M-holders... anything else I should pick up along with those?

Bringing it back to Sony - has anyone actually fixed the dark+grainy image problem on a player? Has anyone even bothered to try? ;)

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2014, 04:22 
happycube wrote:

Bringing it back to Sony - has anyone actually fixed the dark+grainy image problem on a player? Has anyone even bothered to try? ;)

Not me. Unless it's a mechanical issue (tray load/unload, etc.) I won't fuss with Sony players. "if" you can get parts they are priced like gold. I think Kurtis will agree with me on that. In years gone by I had bad experiences with Sony and their field service people :thumbdown: :thumbdown: Pioneer was one of the few manufacturers that built players that allowed improvement or malfunction correction via alignment as opposed to parts replacement...

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2014, 05:26 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Welp, that cuts it. Treat Sony players like the plague!

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2014, 06:12 
elahrairrah wrote:
Welp, that cuts it. Treat Sony players like the plague!

Yup, and there's no vaccine :lolno:

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2014, 10:07 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Please no flaming:

I have a Sony MDP-600 player that works perfectly fine. Granted, the PQ is not up to Pioneer's standards, but it is still working. Both it and an MDP-MR1 player have worked since I got them some years ago. (Now watch, either or both of them will self-destruct tomorrow.)
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2014, 17:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

No flames from me! Glad you've got working ones, actually... part of why I asked was there's an MDP-600 that's been sitting at a thrift shop for $30, and I was trying to decide if it was Worth The Risk. But I've got enough decent players, and I got the 503-clone for $15+parts.

I think the D406's a nice underrated player, it leaves the comb filtering and other digital processing to newer, more sophisticated stuff. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2014, 18:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gotta love SONY's affinity for self-destructing products. thank god none of their PlayStation series (PS1/2/3)
seem to suffer this otherwise typically SONY malady that ruins so many of their otherwise great products.

hell, back around '07 i picked up locally a beautiful 1990 SLV-R5 S-VHS with remote, all in outstanding condition for only $75,
just to find that it suffered the leaky caps in the PSU module as this otherwise awesome VCR is wont to do
across it's entire damned US production run. i had meant for years to get it serviced,
but just gave up one day and parted it out. still pisses me off, thank god i found the incredible 1988 JVC HR-S8000U S-VHS in the interim,
now there's an indestructible VCR if there ever was one...

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2014, 09:43 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

happycube wrote:
No flames from me! Glad you've got working ones, actually... part of why I asked was there's an MDP-600 that's been sitting at a thrift shop for $30, and I was trying to decide if it was Worth The Risk. But I've got enough decent players, and I got the 503-clone for $15+parts.

I think the D406's a nice underrated player, it leaves the comb filtering and other digital processing to newer, more sophisticated stuff. :thumbup:

Its funny you should mention the D406 as it is my primary player. It took 3 tries to get a D406 before I hit a good one. I have 2 other D406's that arrived to me with their m-holders broken. I replaced the part and both players now give the "no disc" message when there is a disc on the platter. The third D406 came and worked like a charm. This machine was clean and looked as though it had very few hours on it. (I am keeping the first 2 players for parts right now.)

My other Sony player is a MDP-MR1 which is different from the other players that I have as it has a switch on the back to change from 120VAC to 240VAC. Also, the end of the power cord can be pulled off to reveal a european style plug. The player's output is NTSC only. I wonder what country it was designed for?

tasuke:

It is also funny that you mention that you have a Sony SVHS VCR which ooks like a nice unit.

I recently got a Sony SLV-798HF VCR (plainjane VHS) that has a feature called Automatic Picture Control. From what I can tell, the read/write head adjusts its reading of a tape as it is reading the tape. The PQ for this VCR is very good with almost off--the-air quality. I bought this one to replace an RCA Home Theatre VCR that does not work with Sony equipment due to its lack of a Control-S input. I bought the RCA new in 1995.
CED

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2014, 18:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

(I saw it off your signature :) ) If there's nothing broken on the other 406's, there's probably a good chance you can realign them.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2014, 18:23 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Hmmm... my Blu-Ray player is a Sony (only affordable region-hacked (for DVDs) smart player I could find), it's probably too early to tell if it will be a problem. They do seem to have a history of beautiful but unreliable designs.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2014, 22:05 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

happycube wrote:
(I saw it off your signature :) ) If there's nothing broken on the other 406's, there's probably a good chance you can realign them.

When the tray is closed on one of the "bad" D406's, you can observe the lens on the pickup move up and down like it is trying to focus on a disc. The other "bad" D406 shows no motion at all for the lens. I have often wondered if I did not attach the ribbon cable correctly on both players as the ribbon cable is very hard to get inserted. Someday, in the future, I will send one of the 2 players out to someone who knows how to do a realignment (if that is the problem),

ffutures wrote:
Hmmm... my Blu-Ray player is a Sony (only affordable region-hacked (for DVDs) smart player I could find), it's probably too early to tell if it will be a problem. They do seem to have a history of beautiful but unreliable designs.

I have a Sony BDP-S360 Blu-Ray player. Ii is too early to know if the internals will fall apart anytime soon. Time will tell.
CED

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2017, 17:48 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

anyone got experience with the 1988 MDP-200? i always thought it rather handsome in that classically late-80's sort of way;

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 02:06 
Site Admin
Site Admin

tasuke wrote:
anyone got experience with the 1988 MDP-200? i always thought it rather handsome in that classically late-80's sort of way;

Interesting that they didn't align the CD pick up (front right) and the LD pick up (center).

That would mean that the optical block has to move in diagonal to clamp the CD-size discs or that they have 2 different optical blocks?

Julien

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 18:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

admin wrote:
Interesting that they didn't align the CD pick up (front right) and the LD pick up (center).
That would mean that the optical block has to move in diagonal to clamp the CD-size discs or that they have 2 different optical blocks?

certainly would be nice to get one of these for cheap, do a well-documented tear-down/refit, and find out along the way!!

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 23:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

That's quite strange indeed... the CLD-900 through IIRC the 1010 had two spindle motors, but the disks were kept in the same position. I could see an arrangement where the 12cm disks were behind, so that the pickup simply operates farther up.

Another odd duck is the Pioneer CLD-210KVT, which not only had dual-side LD play, but two CD trays (hopefully a bit less fragile than the M series!)

(and as for the topic: Even if you like Sony LD players, the 605 is indefensible because of the bad caps)

Page 1 of 2 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next