It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 09:16

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: DVL-700 vs CLD-505
PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 04:32 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I've got one coming in the mail and will give a review of it when I receive it and hook it up to my TV and Projector.

when I was in contact with ldservice he said it was a top contender.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 04:53 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I am seriously considering burying pal support. I only have a handful pal discs. It was just a curiosity for me.

Now that i think about it, eversince i got my x0 my mld 7020 is collecting dust. I can safely assume the downgrade in picture going to a dvl machine will be greater than going to the mld 7020. I kept the mld 7020 thinking i might want to enjoy dual side playback sometimes but x0 is such a joy i never mind getting up and flipping the disc.

I dont know if I will spin a pal disc more than once a year. Maybe next time i go to europe if i find a nice dvl cheap enough, i know i wont be able to fight the urge and buy it. But importing one for €800 is crazier than importing a x0.

I simplified my setup and i enjoy it much. I will test out a couple of video processors over the next few days. I will probably let go a lot of gear which wont get much use from me(unless they are not worth my time selling them)

Keeping

Pioneer HLD-X0(obviously)
McIntosh MLD-7020(because its a McIntosh)
Integra DHS-8.8(Toshiba HD-XA2 clone HD-DVD player)
Oppo BDP-105(as a transport no internal audio or video processing)
JVC HM-HD5U (D-Theater D-VHS S-VHS VCR)
All fed into Lumagen Radiance 2144

Might let go if Lumagen beats them in every category or lose only by an acceptable margin(might sacrifice for better integration and functionality) the Lumagen has HDMI 2.0.
Crystalio II VPS-3800 and VPS-3300
Algolith Mosquito HDMI (3 of them)
Panasonic LX-1000U, Denon LA-3500, Pioneer DVL-919
Pioneer DV-420V-K, Pioneer DV-79AVI

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 04:55 
True fan
True fan

grasshopper wrote:
sdraper wrote:
If I have the VNR modded/deactivated on my 700, would it improve the picture that much? Since getting a comb filter, the stability of the 700 really outshines my old D702, but I just hate how soft the image is.

The 700 is easily the best player I've ever used in terms of stability, transport, ease of use and overall performance. It's just that darned built-in DNR that keeps me using my old workhorse 702.

You really fine the Image soft????? That's the first I heard of that!!! Seriously....

First thing I do is enable all dvl-700 into Elite 90 for VNR but I never play with it as I just keep it standard.

If I jump back and forth directly from my 702, it is softer on the same settings, but I do believe the black level is better. I'm going to try recalibrating with DVE just for the 700 on another of the TV's presets and then see how it stacks against the 702. With the comb filter engaged the 702 is getting too noisy.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 05:53 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

landisman13 wrote:
It does seem like most people prefer the 700. I wonder how much price decides this? The 919's always seem to go for the most money. I had a 700 until I broke it in a boneheaded error :x . Since then, I've aquired a 909 and it looks just like I remember the 700, but never got the chance to do a direct comparison. I've not yet had the opportunity to experience a high end player, but with what I have, the DVL's seem to look much better on a digital display than my CLD units. With CRT, the difference is negligable.

The 919 probably goes for more since it's newer.

I also had a 919. The 700 betters it (though I would take a 919 over the aforementioned 505 because it has digital frame/field memory to freeze frame CLV discs.)

Never had a 909 or a DVL Elite, so I can't comment on those. I do remember Duncan telling me that the 700 and 909 and similar in quality while the 919 is lacking in comparison.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 06:11 
True fan
True fan

elahrairrah wrote:
landisman13 wrote:
It does seem like most people prefer the 700. I wonder how much price decides this? The 919's always seem to go for the most money. I had a 700 until I broke it in a boneheaded error :x . Since then, I've aquired a 909 and it looks just like I remember the 700, but never got the chance to do a direct comparison. I've not yet had the opportunity to experience a high end player, but with what I have, the DVL's seem to look much better on a digital display than my CLD units. With CRT, the difference is negligable.

The 919 probably goes for more since it's newer.

I also had a 919. The 700 betters it (though I would take a 919 over the aforementioned 505 because it has digital frame/field memory to freeze frame CLV discs.)

Never had a 909 or a DVL Elite, so I can't comment on those. I do remember Duncan telling me that the 700 and 909 and similar in quality while the 919 is lacking in comparison.

That's is correct as Duncan and me always brought up the subject from time and yes the 919 has its good points for someone who just wants a nice LD/DVD combo to share their collection or in a master room.

The DVL-700 and DVL-90 ALSO HAVE A COOLING FAN IN THE FRONT TO COOL DOWN THE DVD / LD MAIN BOARDS. Just because how they were stocked on top and the driver amps run hotter!!! You can hear the fan with just the power turned on and listen from the front right. Its just a PC case cooling fan and bearings to fail on these!!!

As you notice \../ gets wound up on DVL's, that's what my mentor taught me first for the first two years. I sold a lot of them and only the bad repairs came from poor packing to my clients when they went through e-bay as as Audiogon and Videogon sellers usually had the oem box or knew how to pack.

\../

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2015, 18:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just saw the 919E service manual off the link on the R7G thread - interestingly, the only real circuit differences shown between that and the 909 are the DVD module updates and PAL analog audio support. Looks like the PAL video circuitry was already included. Perhaps if the 919E firmware was flashed onto a US 909, and maybe the PAL/NTSC mode switch modded in, it could become a PAL player? :idea:

Or perhaps it's a different resistor mod, since PAL 909's have been known to lose PAL playback if they get the DVL-91 mods.

(This also indicates that the 919E probably is the best PAL player, because it hasn't been somehow fubar'd like the 515/925 have. And the only time ever that a PAL version of a Pioneer player was better than the NTSC one!)

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2015, 19:37 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

happycube wrote:
(This also indicates that the 919E probably is the best PAL player, because it hasn't been somehow fubar'd like the 515/925 have. And the only time ever that a PAL version of a Pioneer player was better than the NTSC one!)

Possibly, but wasn't the Theta Data III released in the UK? If they converted that to PAL I would say one would be best since it's a D704 under the hood.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2015, 20:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Unlikely, until the DVL's NTSC and PAL/NTSC players didn't share demod/TBC circuitry, and the DVL-919 based Theta Voyager is NTSC only as far as anyone knows.

IIRC the 2950 was based on the 503/70x mechanism, and still had analog TBC!

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2019, 21:49 
Serious fan
Serious fan

happycube wrote:
The US DVL-V888 (which I got for a sensible $35 last month) KGYCB does have D-EXT circuitry and a CD-G/LD-G decoding chip. But I don't know if the firmware will actually allow one to use them - I should try it out this weekend since I think I have a combination Pioneer remote that'll control it.

Recently acquired a DVL-V888 locally for $60 with remote and manual. Works flawlessly. Very quiet compared to my CLD-D704. Picture looks good but I have a few questions after reading through the manual and this thread:

Will someone please explain what the "Cinema" mode on a DVL-V888 is doing? Does the V888 have some form of built-in non-defeatable VNR? Is the "Standard" setting as flat as you can get from this player?

Also, can you please explain D-EXT? What it is and why its there? Seems to be a Japanese player only feature.

Many thanks!

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2019, 22:03 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Cinema is described on page 44 of the manual here: http://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Pion ... 888-EN.pdf

"Provides clear picture with clear black and white definition."

You can read about D-EXT here: D-Ext definitive answer?

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2019, 18:24 
Serious fan
Serious fan

cplusplus wrote:
Cinema is described on page 44 of the manual here: http://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Pion ... 888-EN.pdf

"Provides clear picture with clear black and white definition."

You can read about D-EXT here: D-Ext definitive answer?

Thanks, I have the manual and have read those vague words but was looking for more detailed technical info on how they are making the picture clear with black and white definition as compared to the Standard picture setting which I'm assuming is unadulterated. Cinema mode just looks darker to me.

I'll read up on D-EXT, thank for the link.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2023, 17:25 
Second post
Second post

Hello Guys

I know its a long shot but I thought I would try here. I have a DVL-700 and am looking to do the Mod to disable the DNR. Any help would be great. Trying to contact Grasshopper - but seem to not be able to contact him. Let me know :)
DMAN

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2