It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:45

Page 2 of 4 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: When will you Brexit from your Laserdisc hobby?
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2016, 21:40 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

And I've only just started collecting!

I love my laserdisc player, the only problem is it's in a room so small that the only second chair you can fit in there is a fold out one, so I only get to watch films by myself because the girlfriend won't sit for prolonged periods watching a 19in CRT in a box room. I could move it downstairs but my opinion is the laserdisc belongs on a CRT screen not my 40in LED.

That being said, I love reliving my favourite films on my own. I also still need to get round to Return of the Jedi at some point. And hell I can bypass the fibre-optic broadband and have a retro wank over Traci, I Love You. :)

Either way, My Laserdiscs are here to stay...and play.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2016, 10:47 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

firehorse_44 wrote:
je280 wrote:
firehorse_44 wrote:
When I am worm food .......

Yeh love that also :thumbup:

What happens to them after that though.....?!?

Hopefully my son will carry the torch ......
He has not signed on yet, though the format has a special place in his heart ...
He KNOWS which ones to dumpster and which ones to "find homes for" ........... lmao ......

If he does not take over my collection I have threatened to come back and haunt him three times :o :shock: :o

....."If he does not take over my collection I have threatened to come back and haunt him three times", well he knows where he stands then!?!..... nice one.

Much the same here with me - my son (22 years old) who has been aware of the format & shinny 12" discs for over half of his life but has never really commented on them other than the odd chat when I am playing LDs. We had a wee chat last night & quite interesting to hear his thoughts on what happens to them when the time comes.

He loves motorsport & has watched/watches the F1 LDs when I am playing them & has sometimes popped the occasional disc into the player but they are always F1 or similar discs - he has never put a film or the like on the LD player though has watched features when I am watching them if it interests him. There is quite a lot of footage on the Japanese F1 & motorsport LDs that only got a release in Japan (usually on VHS video also issued at the same time in Japan) so he said he would keep the F1/motorsport LDs but the rest he has no interest in but I don't think they would be binned. A home would be found if someone is interested via word of mouth or a post offering them on the likes of here so hopefully someone will get some pleasure from them.

Even the F1/motorsport LDs & the players would eventually go at some time though as he would most likely use one of the players to copy/download the material from the LDs he would want onto whatever he keeps his "stuff" on - I sometimes feel that those around my age are perhaps the last generation that "collects" or holds onto things that are (lets be honest) dead/obsolete or of no practical use now. There are exceptions though but none of his friends collect/hoard/keep just for the sake of keeping "things" anymore or that is how it looks to me - living space & perhaps having to be more mobile may play a part in that though. They do have their Xstations & PlayBoxes & the like but as far as the quality audio/video equipment with records/CDs/blu-rays/DVDs/laserdisc collections & the like don't appear to be owned out there by most of the "younger generation" now - everything my son & his friends want looks to be held in the ether waiting to be accessed or in a little box ready to be called up whenever he wants it. Most dealings with collectors I have had who were downsizing or getting rid of collections whatever they may be selling (LD collectors in particular though) were in most cases all aged 50ish or over with very few below this age - most under that age (20s & 30s-ish) were usually getting rid of collections that were inherited or they had been given & they had no interest in the items. Many new cars now are "sold" on lease terms where you never own the vehicle, now very popular here in the UK at close to 50% of new cars leaving the dealers to come back 2, 3 or 4 years later on lease end. Most lease deals are usually taken up by those aged around 40ish & under with most customers over 45 actually buying a vehicle be it a direct purchase or on hire purchase with them appearing rather reluctant to take on the "you will not own the vehicle at lease term end" type of deal. I do have to say that I would like to own whatever I may be paying hard cash over many months/years for so the lease deals are (at age 55 & a half-ish) not for me.

I am pretty sure son will move the LDs & players on & not dump them. My big discs & the players should end up outlasting me in someones hands in years to come (not too soon though!!!) but probably to an "older" person or persons though it would be nice to think someone a little younger may end up with them.

Hopefully as I rot away the discs won't & they will live on a bit longer.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2016, 12:12 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

je280 wrote:
There is quite a lot of footage on the Japanese F1 & motorsport LDs that only got a release in Japan

:o
Sorry for taking this off topic ever so slightly...

It had never occured to me that there might be F1 laserdiscs! I'm 35 but only developed an interest in Forumla 1 from 2007 and have watched every season since and gone to the British Grand Prix twice. Would love to watch some historic races and have just taken a look at ebay. Would you recommend any specific discs for me to get? I'm a big Ferrari fan.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2016, 15:21 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

the amount of japanese anime laserdiscs from 80s and 90s are massive too .....thousands and thousands of impressive well built covers and discs i will never reach......they are expensive and sold separately on eBay...another reason for me to leave Laserdiscs before my player say stop

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2016, 12:18 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

tomlee80 wrote:
je280 wrote:
There is quite a lot of footage on the Japanese F1 & motorsport LDs that only got a release in Japan

:o
Sorry for taking this off topic ever so slightly...

It had never occured to me that there might be F1 laserdiscs! I'm 35 but only developed an interest in Forumla 1 from 2007 and have watched every season since and gone to the British Grand Prix twice. Would love to watch some historic races and have just taken a look at ebay. Would you recommend any specific discs for me to get? I'm a big Ferrari fan.

Hi & I was thinking I was the only LD user with an interest in F1/motorsport so actually nice to know I am not the only one!!! :thumbup:

There were quite a number of F1 titles & a few other motorsport disciplines covered on the LD format, most were PIONEER Japan releases with lots of footage not released on any other format outwith Japan. They included some lovely "boxed" sets covering the seasons from '87 to '95 & PIONEER retro released the earlier seasons on a couple of really nice sets - 1970 thru 1980 which features the Brunswick Films (Marlboro) footage & 1981 thru 1985 which features the Duke Marketing footage with the 1986 season not issued by PIONEER but an LD was issued that covered it, a 'rights' issue apparently. The '86 season, the Duke Marketing release/footage, was issued in Japan only on MCLF-001. Overall F1 was covered on the LD format from 1970 right through to 1996 so for F1 followers we were very fortunate that PIONEER clearly backed the F1 issues till it was clear that the format was basically on the way out. The retro years & a few other releases were issued quite late with the last one issued (as far as I can ascertain) in 1997. It appears that PIONEER wanted to issue all the F1 seasons that they held the rights to while LD sales were, in Japan, fairly healthy & before the then up & coming DVD format took over. 1996 saw the release of some really nice sets including a 4 disc box set of 7 of the "DRIVER'S EYES" releases brought together in one set where almost all of the footage is not available elsewhere. Below is the 'additional information' bit from MCLF-001 which might help & if you search here under - f1 - formula - grand prix - senna - ferrari - championship - & other relevant tag words should bring up most of the LD releases added to the database to date. They are not that expensive but there are the odd exceptions though patience (often years!!!) can get them eventually at a fair price.

The real Brexit thing has made any overseas purchases, where most of my F1 LD acquisitions have come from, perhaps off the cards for a little (long?!?!?) time till the exchange rates calm down but at what level that will be who knows? Anyone looking from outwith the UK/EU can bag some real bargains here just now with the exchange rates as they are at the moment but transactions going the other way will be very few & far between I would think - that situation does not look to be fixable in any acceptable way anytime soon so my overseas LD purchases will be on hold unless something really special must have can't live without it disc turns up & even then it would have to be within my budget (if I have it) at that time..... hard times ahead here in the UK for quite a few years I predict but what do I know???

If you do go down the F1 LD route hope you enjoy them & if you want any details I may be able to provide just PM me & am happy to help if I can.

Sorry if I have gone on a bit here but hope some of it may help - just glad to see another F1 follower here :D .

Here is the 'additional information' bit from MCLF-001 .....
Laserdisc users who also liked Formula One were very well served for many years by Pioneer on the format. From 1987 Pioneer began issuing an ongoing series of discs until 1997 when the last F-1 disc was issued. They covered the ongoing seasons over the years & also released some lovely boxed sets plus special subject discs. They retro-released the earlier years (pre '87) on two multi disc boxed sets - 1970 to 1980 on [PILW-1231] & 1981 to 1985 on [PILW-1183] which brought the F-1 seasons covered by Pioneer from 1970 to 1996 with the exception of the 1986 season.

I did try to enquired as to why Pioneer never released or included in a box set a disc that covered '86 & was eventually told that it may have been due to a "rights or licensing" issue. I was informed that there may have been a "commissioned" laserdisc that was pressed in very low numbers & covered this (\86) season which may have been released around about 1990-ish but could not get any further details or confirmation on this.

I acquired this disc a little while ago, an unexpected & lucky find. It is the 1986 F-1 GP Championship as released on VHS video by Duke Marketing shortly after the season end. Commentary is by Clive James with no Japanese language track or subtitles - it comes with a 20 page (24 including the cover) booklet with the commentary translated into Japanese.

This may have been a "solo" release. The reference number is MCLF-001 & no others look to have followed this. The cover, obi & disc carry no clues as to the release date - they only carry the "FOCA 1986" copyright, the year of the original Duke VHS issues. Also no barcode anywhere & I would think a release intended for the usual retail market would have one if issued after 1990.

It appears that MC International Inc (a Japanese company exporting & importing cycle & motorcycle parts) & Cycle Vision Mac commissioned this & sold it through MC International outlets & via mail order in Japan.

The cover price is 12000 Yen which was almost three times the usual price for most single F-1 laserdisc releases.

The last text in the booklet is..... "Copyright: 1986 by FOCA. Japanease(sic) Translation Rights arranged with MC International Inc through Duku (sic) Marketing Ltd."

This disc brings the F-1 seasons covered to a solid 26 years straight thru from 1970 to 1996 on the laserdisc format.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2016, 13:06 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I'm currently watching Drivers Eyes Vol 3 since I'm copying it with the intent to put it on Youtube. We'll see if anyone gets picky about the rights. If not I'll be uploading more. I couldn't seem to find anything like Pioneer's F1 LDs on YT which either means nobody has bothered to upload them or that bots ID it and take it down automatically as soon as it's uploaded based on prior arrangement with Bernie.

Watching this old footage is just...man now things have changed. So many tracks now deemed inadequate for F1. So many gorgeous death trap cars. And so little advertising, even into the late 80s.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2016, 16:33 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
I'm currently watching Drivers Eyes Vol 3 since I'm copying it with the intent to put it on Youtube. We'll see if anyone gets picky about the rights. If not I'll be uploading more. I couldn't seem to find anything like Pioneer's F1 LDs on YT which either means nobody has bothered to upload them or that bots ID it and take it down automatically as soon as it's uploaded based on prior arrangement with Bernie.

Watching this old footage is just...man now things have changed. So many tracks now deemed inadequate for F1. So many gorgeous death trap cars. And so little advertising, even into the late 80s.

The very best of luck with that sir, Bernie can be a bit of a nippy sweetie on that front.

Driver's Eyes 3 is a good one but then I don't think there was a bad one issued in the "On Board Camera Special" series, I enjoy them every time I put them on. I feel fortunate that what was, for me, the best era in F1 got the coverage it did on the LD format - thanks Pioneer. If it was not for the F1 LDS I don't think I would have got involved in the format to the extent that I have over the years.

Again good luck with the youtube thing & very little F1 LD footage appears to be on the net but for some reason footage from 'Good-bye Hero' does show up but the history on that one is rather strange. Hopefully Bernie is looking the other way when you put it on!!! Please let me know how it goes, thanks.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2016, 18:20 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

We did get lucky with the timing. All the stuff from Drivers Eyes (or at least the vast majority of it) was shot with film. If video cameras had been a bit more advanced they would have been used instead and the picture quality would have been a lot less than what I'm seeing now.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2016, 12:52 
True fan
True fan

Well, last week I was driving 1200KM and spend more than 600 € for 115 Laserdiscs, mainly from Japan. Some superrare japanese titles were there (Make them die slowly, Sanguelia,Evil Dead (Herald), Deliria, Bad Taste, Brain dead..), seller didn´t know how to ship so many discs, so i decided to drive. Well, it was a really far trip and made me think: Why ? How much more ? SSpending so much money on what ? I have all these classic movies already on DVD, BD or I will get them when they get a proper release. Why again shelling money out on LDs ? It´s because it´s the medium I love the most..
I had quite some time during my trip thinking about it. Well, I will not brexit, but I think I´ll try to reduce my collection to movies I really hang on. For example: I´m having alot of german dubbed Blockbusters here, I have most of them also as NTSC Versions, I never watched much PAL Discs, I will obviously never watch them any time again. So, I think I let them go in favour of movies I really enjoy.l
Well, that aside, to answer the question: Won´t brexit, if my main player fails I have others to overtake it´s duty, and well, I hope I can pass them discs to someone before I move into retirement in a small chamber with 2 other old geezers or sell them and have a great time spending this money...

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2016, 09:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

You can pretty much say I have and did so a long time ago (or at least it feels like it). I currently have a player but it will get sold within a month, along with circa 120 LDs that I happen to own. My goal is to have a maximum of 100 LDs until next year, which seems possible considering the current demand in Sweden.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2016, 11:00 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

dutchinmiami wrote:
Nonsensical things make us human and keep things interesting. ;-)

Yeh :thumbup:

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2016, 02:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I say amass as many LDs as you can, there's no telling when you might want to check out a particular disc you think you have no interest in now.

If I had a car I'd take road trips for LDs anyday! I've taken a few bus and train trips to get LDs. One of my best memories was being scared shitless meeting some guy at a dark suburban supermarket car park in a bad area of the Melbourne suburbs. He opened up the back of his car and had about 150 Hong Kong LDs for $5 a piece. I bought most of them and put them in my duffle bag, almost broke my back hauling them the 2 hours back to my place on the train, all while avoiding the beggers, drunk/high teenagers, african gang bangers and the junkies pissing on the seats. I love those LDs today.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2016, 22:13 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

je280 wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

The very best of luck with that sir, Bernie can be a bit of a nippy sweetie on that front.

Driver's Eyes 3 is a good one but then I don't think there was a bad one issued in the "On Board Camera Special" series, I enjoy them every time I put them on. I feel fortunate that what was, for me, the best era in F1 got the coverage it did on the LD format - thanks Pioneer. If it was not for the F1 LDS I don't think I would have got involved in the format to the extent that I have over the years.

Again good luck with the youtube thing & very little F1 LD footage appears to be on the net but for some reason footage from 'Good-bye Hero' does show up but the history on that one is rather strange. Hopefully Bernie is looking the other way when you put it on!!! Please let me know how it goes, thanks.

Today I uploaded Drivers Eyes - F1 Before 1987.

https://youtu.be/--iE2e3WXHA

It's a scattershot collection of whatever they had access too before in-car cameras became the norm. A highlight is the Tyrell P34. The cockpit surround is removed and the camera pointed more down at the car than straight ahead. This lets you see steering action of this unique car but also how unsafe cars were even into the late 70s. The cockpit surround is just thin plastic for aero purposes, when this (almost pointless) piece is removed you can see how exposed the driver really is.

Anyway, here is is. Drivers Eyes 3 is forthcoming. That one actually has the newer (80s) F1World Championship logo on it so we'll see if it stays. There is a good amount of UK TV footage on YT that clearly belongs to...someone, so maybe this isn't as much of a problem as I thought it would be.

I will upload all of 1987 eventually...

EDIT: Aparently this video is no good. I can watch it at home on my YT account but nobody else can see it. Sorry. I guess this footage just hasn't been out of print long enough yet...jerks.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2016, 22:38 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:

EDIT: Aparently this video is no good. I can watch it at home on my YT account but nobody else can see it. Sorry. I guess this footage just hasn't been out of print long enough yet...jerks.

YouTube wrote:
This video contains content from Formula One Management, who has blocked it on copyright grounds.

Yeah, quite surprising how much out of print stuff is still being checked for copyright infringement. 30 years later and god forbid you attemt to copy it to bring it into the modern era!

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2016, 00:27 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
je280 wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

It's a scattershot collection of whatever they had access too before in-car cameras became the norm. A highlight is the Tyrell P34. The cockpit surround is removed and the camera pointed more down at the car than straight ahead. This lets you see steering action of this unique car but also how unsafe cars were even into the late 70s. The cockpit surround is just thin plastic for aero purposes, when this (almost pointless) piece is removed you can see how exposed the driver really is.

Anyway, here is is. Drivers Eyes 3 is forthcoming. That one actually has the newer (80s) F1World Championship logo on it so we'll see if it stays. There is a good amount of UK TV footage on YT that clearly belongs to...someone, so maybe this isn't as much of a problem as I thought it would be.

I will upload all of 1987 eventually...

Sorry to see you had this pulled, good old Bernie eh?!?

Pulled but it is not FOCA or any of Bernie's F1 controlled footage, anything tagged in any way "F1" appears to get pulled or restricted including mobile phone camera or "personal" camera material.

The footage is from the ELF Motorsport (Film) Library shot on 16mm film from cameras bolted to the cars - the bit below is from a "pending update".....

This was originally released on two (2) VHS videos as "Lap of the Gods" & "Lap of the Gods Part 2" but the sound & picture quality, even by VHS standards, was rather poor to say the very least. There were VHS "bootleg" copies doing the rounds under the title of "The A to Z (Adelaide to Zolder) of Formula One" but the picture quality on them was particularly poor with the soundtrack slightly out of sync. The picture quality on this laserdisc is first class. All the footage was shot on 16mm film from fairly large cameras bolted in most cases to the top of the cars above the drivers head. Filmed for the ELF MOTORSPORT FILM LIBRARY & presented by "Terrific Stuff Videos Ltd" but unlike the VHS issues this laserdisc (thankfully) does not have the TSV logo in the top corner of the picture image throughout the feature. Chapter 14 on side 1 has Patrick Depailler in the Tyrrell P34 (Project 34) AKA as the "six-wheeler" with the upper bodywork removed & showing the driver at work in the cockpit driving round Monaco in 1977. On the VHS edition of "Lap of the Gods Part 2" (side 2 of this laserdisc) there is footage of Allesandro Nannini in his Minardi & Satoru Nakajima in his Lotus at Suzuka in Japan but that footage is not included on this laserdisc.
Track - Driver/Car details:
Side 1: Adelaide - Patrick Tambay/Renault Anderstorp - Mario Andretti/Lotus Brands Hatch - Jackie Stewart/Tyrrell 008 (filmed in 1978) Brands Hatch - Nigel Mansell/Lotus Buenos Aires - J-P Jabouille/Renault Detroit - Nelson Piquet/Lotus Detroit - Eddie Cheever/Renault Estoril - Patrick Tambay/Renault Hockenheim - Didier Pironi/Tyrrell Hungaroring - Philippe Streiff/Tyrrell Imola - Derek Warwick/Renault Kyalami - Alain Prost/Renault Long Beach - Patrick Depailler/Tyrrell Monaco - Alain Prost/Renault Monaco - Patrick Depailler/Tyrrell P34 6 wheel (body open)
Side 2: Montreal - Patrick Depailler/Tyrrell Montreal - Rene Arnoux/Renault Monza - Jacques Laffite/Ligier Monza - Eddie Cheever/Renault Osterreichring - Eddie Cheever/Renault Osterreichring - Patrick Tambay/Renault Paul Ricard - Eddie Cheever/Renault Rio de Janeiro - Patrick Depailler/Tyrrell Silverstone - J-P Jabouille/Renault Spa - Patrick Tambay/Renault Spa - Patrick Tambay/Renault (camera front low) Watkins Glen - Didier Pironi/Tyrrell Zandvoort - Alain Prost/Renault Zolder - Niki Lauda/Brabham Alfa Romeo BT46
Released by Pioneer LDC but without the opening logos & titles as used on most Pioneer issued F1 laserdiscs.
Being MULTI AUDIO by flicking between the audio L&R channels you can lose the (Japanese) commentary leaving only the sound of the cars running on track - all growling Cosworths & whistling turbos!
Insert sheet has all text in Japanese.
From the rear cover..... "T&Y PLANNET Copyright 1992 AFAVA"

Originally released by TSV (Terrific Stuff Video) under license from ELF AFAVA so not anything to do with the FOCA/F1 footage that is jumped on almost as soon as any is uploaded. If you do point out that the footage pulled may not be "official" F1 material you are most likely to be informed, if you receive a response at all, that your comments are noted & "investigations" are pending.

Thanks for trying though & a real pity it was "pulled/blocked" as the footage you had chosen was very interesting indeed.

Regards.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2016, 21:11 
Second post
Second post

I just got started, so I'll probably pick up a few players while I still can, try to find service manuals for all of them, hope my oscilliscope is up to the job of keeping them going, and just get as many movies as possible.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2016, 15:32 
Serious fan
Serious fan

- I might if all of my players will fail one day and equipment and or parts have become too scrarse or expensive, let alone shipping costs and concern of proper transit.
- If i move to a smaller apartment, or nursery home. I live in a senior apartment complex and already had to diss many stuff when i moved there.
- When i die.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2016, 18:27 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Don't think I will directly give up on this hobby. I think it is important to focus on my other projects and hobbies once in a while and then come back later to enjoy my laserdiscs.
Bought ten laserdiscs the other day, so can't say I'm fading away. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2016, 15:24 
Serious fan
Serious fan

samaron wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

YouTube wrote:
This video contains content from Formula One Management, who has blocked it on copyright grounds.

Yeah, quite surprising how much out of print stuff is still being checked for copyright infringement. 30 years later and god forbid you attemt to copy it to bring it into the modern era!

If you google the show appear to be viewable on some japanese sites, or you can watch via proxies.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2016, 11:34 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I got back into buying anime discs back in Aug 2012 and have amassed a massive collection since. Mostly discs with no other disc release, or series that are too expensive on DVD. I still have many titles I hope to own one day such as Nayuta, TWD Express, Jurra Tripper, Download and Twinkle Heart, so my LD buying is not going anywhere anytime soon.

Besides, I just finally bought a HLD-X9! I only wish I had thought about LD collecting when I lived in Japan. I remember looking on yahoo once or twice to see how cheap LD players were at the time, being shocked by how expensive they still were and not bothering. I did look at the local Hard Off a couple of times, but never seriously.

Page 2 of 4 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next