It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:01

Page 2 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is there ANY chance for a new player in the future ?
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2011, 00:24 
Honest fan
Honest fan

If pioneer would make 2 new models:

Pioneer LD-S99 - full option laserdisc player with dts and demodulated AC-3, hdmi out, network connection to imdb or lddb database for "pop-up" movie info
price: 699 US

Pioneer LD-X99 - same possibilities but super high-end machine based on the X9 platform
price: 1499 US

What sales numbers could we predict on a worldwide scale ?
Just to know, because that will lead us to the budget that Pioneer or any other willing manufacturer would have to create these players...
I think we will be surprised of the numbers... it will be more than expected i think so that would lead towards a big budget and then maybe it's doable.
... and a whole lot of LD's

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2011, 07:59 
With pioneer basicly still struggling to make it in the blu ray player world, the company probaly can't afford to resurrect old technology for probaly no more than a few hundred people world wide unfortunately

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2011, 15:18 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Hell, lets make a super duper uber disc player!

The Pioneer Elite BDVL-X99! Blu-ray/DVD/LD/Hi-Vision/VCD/CD/SACD/DVD-A player!

Built in MUSE Decoder
Built in RF Demodulator
Onboard 24 bit D/A convertor with 8 channel pre-outs
Upscaling for DVD/LD/VCD with HDMI out

It would probably weigh about 8 tons and be so big it'd make the X0 look compact but talk about the ultimate convenience :lol:

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2011, 19:46 
You might as well add an extra fancy upconverter so when super hi vision tvs come out we can take advantage of them with our new super ultimate extreme collectors edition Pioneer Elite BDVL-X99! Blu-ray/DVD/LD/Hi-Vision/VCD/CD/SACD/DVD-A players :crazy:

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2011, 01:08 
Serious fan
Serious fan

A new laserdisc player being manufactured is about as likely as Kurt Cobain making a guest appearance on stage at the next Hole concert.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2011, 02:36 
Site Admin
Site Admin

laserdiscoking wrote:
A new laserdisc player being manufactured is about as likely as Kurt Cobain making a guest appearance on stage at the next Hole concert.

I think we could add that Jimi Hendrix would have to play guitar along!

Julien

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2011, 04:00 
True fan
True fan

With Karen Carpenter on drums.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2011, 01:47 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
If you look at the laser turntable which can play LPs using a laser they only produce a tiny quantity to order each year. Something like this for laserdisc would be fantastic. I wonder has anyone from that same company in Japan considered producing such a device? You'd think the demand for laserdisc playback would be much greater than high end vinyl playback if they could mass produce a mid range player.

I think something like this happening would be the only possible hope for a new laserdisc player ever being made. It's just not feasible for most companies to build new machines for such a small number of potential buyers.

I know that in the last few years the rights for the Nintendo SNES console have lapsed and many Japanese companies are now rolling out some excellent clone consoles (the best in my opinion being the Retro Duo NES/SNES console), perhaps if the rights for LD players elapse sometime in the future we'll see something similar...but I still doubt it.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2011, 22:50 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

All the basic LD patents have expired, so any company could make a basic player. Remember, the first patents were granted in the late 60's - only patents for stuff like AC-3 would still be in effect. Even the CAA Extended play disc recording patents have expired. They are free for anyone to use.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2011, 23:30 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I suspect the bigger problem is not the patents but the know-how. Both mechanically & electronically, a LaserDisc player is a real challenge. On the other hand, there have been some fascinating new approaches to traditionally analog electronics problems in the last few years. As an example, amateur radio hobbyists are now building tuners which digitize wide bands of the RF spectrum, using high-speed analog-to-digital converters, & filter & demodulate using a combination of FPGA hardware & PC software.

A similar approach might yield good results for LD. Comb-filtering, noise reduction, &c could be implemented using tweakable algorithms, & it wouldn't be terribly difficult to deliver digitized video & audio (including analog audio in digital form) via HDMI or some such connector.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2011, 00:20 
True fan
True fan

I think one issue is that most of us are looking at the immediacy of a new ld player or disc. I'm all for the resurgence of discs and players...RIGHT NOW. Unfortunately it will be a waiting game. I'm talking eight to fifteen years, and that's being modest. We are drowning in the world of pixels and almost anything connected to a digital image.

Film, in many expressions will make a major comeback and with that the demand for an older technology (analog) will follow. It's about alternatives. I think that when laserdisc comes back it will be greatly improved and may have some tricks up it's sleeve we never expected. Re-releases of older titles and enhancement of old discs is possible. Gone, probably, will be the tray, just a "cd style" insertion. The jackets may flicker with neon or have 3D photos.

The discs will be of different colors with images or texts on them. The playback will be the epitome of analog video which will lead to the ultimate perfection of projected cathode ray tube technology. Designer carrying cases and jacket covers will be the rage. The future isn't all about digital viewing. It's about taking the ghosts of transports past to new heights. Laserdisc, even at it's best never fully captured the masses. However, it always provided a true theartre-like experience which fully immersed the buyer into the art of film. That will never go away. Pioneer is smart enough to know, if you build it, they will come (20 years from now).

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2011, 10:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

publius wrote:
I suspect the bigger problem is not the patents but the know-how. Both mechanically & electronically, a LaserDisc player is a real challenge. On the other hand, there have been some fascinating new approaches to traditionally analog electronics problems in the last few years. As an example, amateur radio hobbyists are now building tuners which digitize wide bands of the RF spectrum, using high-speed analog-to-digital converters, & filter & demodulate using a combination of FPGA hardware & PC software.

A similar approach might yield good results for LD. Comb-filtering, noise reduction, &c could be implemented using tweakable algorithms, & it wouldn't be terribly difficult to deliver digitized video & audio (including analog audio in digital form) via HDMI or some such connector.

Like the non-adaptive pc-based decoding methods used to decode SQ and QS quadraphonic encoded recordings that have fully discrete reproduction.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2011, 02:01 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

remington wrote:
I think one issue is that most of us are looking at the immediacy of a new ld player or disc. I'm all for the resurgence of discs and players...RIGHT NOW. Unfortunately it will be a waiting game. I'm talking eight to fifteen years, and that's being modest. We are drowning in the world of pixels and almost anything connected to a digital image.

Film, in many expressions will make a major comeback and with that the demand for an older technology (analog) will follow. It's about alternatives. I think that when laserdisc comes back it will be greatly improved and may have some tricks up it's sleeve we never expected. Re-releases of older titles and enhancement of old discs is possible. Gone, probably, will be the tray, just a "cd style" insertion. The jackets may flicker with neon or have 3D photos.

The discs will be of different colors with images or texts on them. The playback will be the epitome of analog video which will lead to the ultimate perfection of projected cathode ray tube technology. Designer carrying cases and jacket covers will be the rage. The future isn't all about digital viewing. It's about taking the ghosts of transports past to new heights. Laserdisc, even at it's best never fully captured the masses. However, it always provided a true theartre-like experience which fully immersed the buyer into the art of film. That will never go away. Pioneer is smart enough to know, if you build it, they will come (20 years from now).

but i love the trays! when they open its like hearing the sound of space shuttle doors open!

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012, 23:07 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

just putting some wood on the fire here. If this http://www.elpj.com/main.html is possible, I guess a new laserdisc is possible aswell. Knowing its not the same thing with signals and stuff like that. But I think the price tag is pretty much the same as if anyone would pull it together.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012, 23:25 
Site Admin
Site Admin

johan184 wrote:
just putting some wood on the fire here. If this http://www.elpj.com/main.html is possible, I guess a new laserdisc is possible aswell.

$8,100 for the base player... is already a tough thing to sell.

Now add variable spinning speed, laser alignment, demodulation, filtering, analog signal reconstruction.... $20,000?

Just gather LD Players on the way if you find decent ones. Backup players are a way cheaper solution :-)

Julien

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2012, 01:59 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Fully agree Julien, I recently picked up a brand new Pioneer player still in a sealed box for 100 euro ($77), not an Elite player but the most recent PAL/NTSC dual side player, the owner had 3 of those as back up player and now dumping its ld collection and players... For such prices you can never be wrong and running the video through an external scaler you get a decent picture on a LCD TV.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2012, 02:13 
True fan
True fan

johan184 wrote:
just putting some wood on the fire here. If this http://www.elpj.com/main.html is possible, I guess a new laserdisc is possible aswell. Knowing its not the same thing with signals and stuff like that. But I think the price tag is pretty much the same as if anyone would pull it together.

It most certainly is possible. I've been saying all along that it's just a matter of time. Of course analog video is different but this sets the stage. Thanks for that link. :)

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2012, 02:29 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

well, i know that they are two different things but.

they still make tube guitar and home audio amplifiers, companies don't make guitar tube amps anymore, it's specialty stuff.

oh wait, china makes them now :mrgreen: china makes everything.
if you want it and have cash china will make you LDs, players, even copies of anything you want.

1st you have to have money.
2nd you have to find a factory.
3rd and most important, you have to not get ripped off :thumbup:

if i do a search on the internet i can find decoders and demodulators, tube amps of all types, small 5 watts to larger.

they even make some good looking box set CDs out there, look on the bay for the iron maiden box set, they also sell Queen and some other sutff.

china can and will make an LD player if they can make money off of it, all you have to do is send them one, some schmatics and they will rip it off with no problem.
just like giving an outfit to a clothing maker, they take it apart, make a patern and then bang it's done.

everybody on this forum talks about "can it be done" sure, just money and time everything can be done.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2012, 02:51 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Rein-o

agreed, but how many of us are there around that want to buy a player?
Market is too small worldwide even at cost basis not talking making money.
Honestly I prefer my sealed boxed Pioneer player made in Japan over some Chineese player with an unknown quality... Please do not forget Pioneer stopped production due to some custom asics used in the players did become obsolete so it is not simply a matter of a chineese copy...

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2012, 02:59 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

lets just get all the LD nerds together worldwide and device a plot to take over the world with virus' and robots lol our first demand will seam pretty strange to most people, but it will be done!

Page 2 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next