It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:32

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Finally got our first Laserdisc player - i'm excited!
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2017, 03:16 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

So we finally landed what we feel was a good deal locally; Pioneer CLD-3070 with it's original remote and 6 movies ~$85 USD. This is our first Laserdisc player and we're completely excited (well, at least I know I am!). I plan on giving it a good re-lube since i've heard that the lube they used for these got "tacky" or dry over time, however the drive opens and closes as it should, it flips from side-A to side-B as it should and reads/plays Laserdiscs as it should so I may hold off on tackling that "lube restoration project" for another day in the near future.

Post subject: Re: Finally got our first Laserdisc player - i'm excited!
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2017, 03:47 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Grats on your first player.
I grew up with a 3070 and after many players have gone back to one as my main/secondary player, my other player is an S1 which I love but only use on special occasions as its a single sided player.

One thing I can say is, if it ain't broke don't fix it :thumbup:
The lube thing is an issue with that player but I believe it may be more than normal humans can tackle.
You got a great deal if you ask me, that player was originally 800 or around that when new.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2017, 11:03 
how do you remove dry lube?
do you scrape it off?
what tool should be used to remove the lube?

is white lithium grease the best lube for plastic parts like rails, wheel cogs etc. etc. or what lube should be used if not white lithium grease?

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2017, 12:22 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I wish you a lot of joy with your first LD player! :thumbup:
When I started with LD I had not planned to watch them, but after a while I then bought a player.
In 2015 i started with 4 discs and now I own about 240.
I have not regretted buying the first disc!

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2017, 18:55 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Nice. I think you'll be happy with that player.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2017, 19:02 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

joey-buttafuoco wrote:
how do you remove dry lube?
do you scrape it off?
what tool should be used to remove the lube?

is white lithium grease the best lube for plastic parts like rails, wheel cogs etc. etc. or what lube should be used if not white lithium grease?

Some lithium grease is petroleum based, the petroleum based lithium greases should NEVER be used on plastics as it softens and wears the plastic down over time. Synthetic grease is really good and safe to use for plastics and usually non-toxic.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2017, 19:12 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

kingpin wrote:
I wish you a lot of joy with your first LD player! :thumbup:
When I started with LD I had not planned to watch them, but after a while I then bought a player.
In 2015 i started with 4 discs and now I own about 240.
I have not regretted buying the first disc!

Thanks kingpin! Yeah, i've had a thing for Laserdisc ever since I first viewed them in the very early 90's [I was around 11 or 12] at a friend of the family's house. Recently, i've started collecting Laserdiscs before I ever got this Laserdisc player because the covers are just as amazing as vinyl record covers however I had every intention to get a player eventually to enjoy them. I collect movies/tv shows on mediums based upon the era they released so I have a massive [500+] collection of VHS movies/TV shows, however my plan is to replace the VHS collection as much as possible with the Laserdisc version of those movies/TV shows. 8-)

I too have no regrets ever getting my Laserdiscs or this great little player! :thumbup:

gumbyandpals wrote:
Nice. I think you'll be happy with that player.

Thank you kindly for the nice words. So far i'm happy with it and still excited to have it. :D

rein-o wrote:
Grats on your first player.
I grew up with a 3070 and after many players have gone back to one as my main/secondary player, my other player is an S1 which I love but only use on special occasions as its a single sided player.

One thing I can say is, if it ain't broke don't fix it :thumbup:
The lube thing is an issue with that player but I believe it may be more than normal humans can tackle.
You got a great deal if you ask me, that player was originally 800 or around that when new.

Hey rein-o thanks! I agree with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" motto and I usually always live by that. What i'm planning to do is around September 1st check on the original factory grease condition and evaluate the situation (if any) and research on how tough of a project it will be and research on how to get it re-lubed, if needed.

According to a 1989 Consumer Digest, the original price of the Pioneer CLD-3070 was $1,200 back when it was new and would go on sale for around $900.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2017, 20:28 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

1200 may have been an MSRP but if I remember correctly like you say they were around the 900 range but I think my father picked up one at Uncle Stevies for around 800 at a special sale price.

It is still running today and I usually watch at least a film a week or two a week :crazy:

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 01:36 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

To properly relub the 3070 you have to remove the tray and then remove the gears that move the tray and completely clean them. Then after you relub you have to reset all the timing marks and get the tray back in at the proper timing so the tray drops exactly when fully closed.

Unless you are experienced with all this don't do it. Especially since it is working

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 14:00 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

krbahr wrote:
To properly relub the 3070 you have to remove the tray and then remove the gears that move the tray and completely clean them. Then after you relub you have to reset all the timing marks and get the tray back in at the proper timing so the tray drops exactly when fully closed.

Unless you are experienced with all this don't do it. Especially since it is working

Thanks for the information and the heads up as I have zero experience with Laserdisc players.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]