It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:34

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Is an Earth wire need need on Laserdisc players?
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2017, 15:52 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

How comes laserdisc players don't have an Earth lead on the mains plug?

Post subject: Re: Is an Earth wire need need on Laserdisc players?
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2017, 17:55 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

You mean a grounding wire? Not really sure.

I do know that the Runco's used standard 3 prong PC power cord, but can't name too many other's that use the same.

I think the Theta Data II I had also used the same.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2017, 18:55 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I'm pretty sure my USDM CLD-99 does. It gave them an excuse to sell a more expensive part.

Most other US models are polarized, probably.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2017, 02:57 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Per US power codes if the input power is properly isolated from the case so that a failure does not short power to the case the third or earth ground pin is not required

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2017, 03:29 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Yeah. I notice most electrical items don't have earth/ground wire.

Oddly when using one of other Pioneer players CLD-2850 on the onkyo TX SR-850 Aux 2 front input I can hear a low level buzzing noise. When disconnecting the video lead the buzzing noise clears. If video lead is plugged in and any of the two audio leads L R are both removed the buzzing clears.

That's why not sure if the player needs to be grounded or something. The buzzing is so low level got have the volume turned up high to notice it.

Not sure if the noise is travelling across the video signal as the buzzing sort of makes me believe its a video noise of sort that doesn't appear to be grounded or maybe it is?

If I use say optical output of course the LR phone leads are bypassed so the buzzing noise isn't gonna be present.

The onkyo AVR is grounded it has an earth lead.

So does anyone here hear any buzzing noises from there players on your AVR's? Does any of your AVR's have earth/ground wire fitted on the plug?

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2017, 05:34 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

You can easily ground the case if you think it will help. Some players do have a screw for this but any case screw will do.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2017, 06:37 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

You may be having ground loop issues. If you are grounding units then you can connect items together but you only want one connection to earth ground. There is also supposed to be a DC isolation between the chassis and signal return on the connector. There are a lot of items to go wrong and I cannot speak to UK regulations.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2017, 13:54 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

krbahr wrote:
You may be having ground loop issues. If you are grounding units then you can connect items together but you only want one connection to earth ground. There is also supposed to be a DC isolation between the chassis and signal return on the connector. There are a lot of items to go wrong and I cannot speak to UK regulations.

:lol: you don't say! Yeah the elusive "electronic Gremlin".

Solved it. I used a ground/earth wire from my THX 3417 crossover monitor attached a short wire to its earth/ground then attached to the back screw of chassis of the Pioneer CLD-2850 and Wham! Be gone electronic Gremlin! Buzzing ceased and was isolated finally...

Hold to my hoarses now. Now I see a visual ground hum like noise on the picture. I'm working on it. could be the racks placed side by side and the screws attaching and sending another signal. I think I managed to distance the two racks. I mean I see common noise on the STAR TREK TOS Laserdisc that is a like a fine pattern noise. Then I see a wavy diagonal pattern if the two racks are side by side and touching.

Maybe more than a few outboard processors or video devices need earth/grounding?

I think I'll spend some time earth/grounding before using the last resort of buying ground filters.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2017, 14:56 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Reading though this Helpful information.

http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/Grounding.pdf

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2017, 15:38 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Is the video and audio on the laserdisc player both connected to each other? What I mean is the ground connected to each of them or is it isolated or floating free to reduce present of video noise or audio noise?

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2017, 03:39 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Depends on the player, some players had separate power supplies for video and audio circuitry but the majority of the newer ones have single power supply. No isolation in the US model with a single power supply.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2017, 22:38 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

(Sorry not been here for a few days)

That makes good sense I guess some of the higher end Laserdisc players and the cheaper budget ones have a few small trade offs with the higher end components.

I guess its possible the noise I was hearing then noticing once I had maybe grounded/earthed it with seeing noise on the video signal could be EMI https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroma ... terference

My dad often says no wonder my wi-fi is no good I have so much cables everywhere and that is all acting like a antenna. Surprised I not communicated with any E.T.'s. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2018, 22:55 
laserbite34 wrote:
Hold to my hoarses now. Now I see a visual ground hum like noise on the picture. I'm working on it. could be the racks placed side by side and the screws attaching and sending another signal. I think I managed to distance the two racks. I mean I see common noise on the STAR TREK TOS Laserdisc that is a like a fine pattern noise. Then I see a wavy diagonal pattern if the two racks are side by side and touching.

Maybe more than a few outboard processors or video devices need earth/grounding?

I think I'll spend some time earth/grounding before using the last resort of buying ground filters.

what did you end up with?
what was your solution?

I have a fine pattern noise and 3 crooked vertical lines in the background on my CRT tv A/V channel.
it's only on the A/V channel my interference is seen.
it's like a fine mesh on my tv described like having a mosquito protective screen on porch front door in the country.
this annoying mesh appears either I watch dvd, laserdisc or playback on S-VHS player or zapping channels through video tuner watching tv broadcast

I find this interference very annoying!

In the beginning I also had a hum noise through my stereo speakers when I connected my units.
with a Tris connected to my aerial coax cable to one of my S-VHS players hum noise was instantly gone!
however this Tris does not remove the fine mesh I have on my screen.

This is what I have done to fix my problems with mesh on A/V channel but did not help at all:
I have connected all my units in Phase.
Using HQ branded shielded aerial coax cables, shielded S-video cables, shielded power cords, shielded mains blocks
I clamped 2 ferrite corres on both ends on each and every power cord
I tried fully disconnecting each and every unit to see if fine mesh interference on A/V channel vanished but did not help at all!

I have all my cables from coax/video/audio/powercords run alongside the wall side by side.
I can not separate my cables as they would interfere in my way, had to install them the best way not to step on them

my apartment building does not have any earthed outlets.
this would have been the best solution having earthed sockets.

I first suspected having 4G interference from wifi or tablets, but this is not the case.
there are 4G filters on eBay, but they will not help me with my issues of fine mesh.
my Tris does only remove audio hum from speakers, does not do anything for visual interference

I've seen on eBay there are FM traps from Radio Shack, never heard of this gadget?
what does FM interference do on tv?
this item would it work in europe?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/75-Ohm-Coax-FM ... 1438.l2649

what else is there to buy that I can try killing the fine mesh interference on A/V channel?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]