It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:17

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ] 
 Post subject: Looking for info on the CLD-R7G
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2017, 23:31 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Hi all, I've been using a modify DVL-909 for a lot time that also has Side B playback problems. (Can't same to fix it)

I know the DVL-909 is not very good player from what I've seen online and I've been looking to get a greater player for LaserDisc only as I never use it for DVD anyway. I've been eyeing a LD-S9 but also see some hate on it so I started looking into CLD-HF7G, CLD-HF9G, DVL-H9, & CLD-R7G. (Love to get a HLD-X9 or HLD-X0, but high for me at this time)

Anyway I just won a CLD-R7G for much lower then I was thinking it will go for as it was just $39 (Working, no remote) from Japan & I'm looking to know what other people think of this player. Is it noisier & smearing more then a DVL-909?

I've seen online that some say the DVL-H9 give a picture almost likely that of a HLD-X9, does anyone know it that's true? (Sounds wrong to me as it does DVD as well)

Post subject: Re: Looking for info on the CLD-R7G
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2017, 06:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The R7G and H9 both have an excellent (for the time at least) comb filter which makes up for some of the intrinsic (relative) noisiness of the design.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2017, 09:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The R7G, while noisy, is kind of special in terms of smearing. I didn't see any at all on my player while it is rather obvious at times on my CLD-3380. It depends on various factors of course, but you shouldn't worry about the R7G causing it.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2017, 12:30 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I had a CLD-R7G for a long time and enjoyed it quite a bit. I ended up selling it as I needed money for truck repairs and I picked up a Runco for cheaps to replace it. As mentioned before, the comb filter is a very good one making up for the inherently noisy picture. So using the S-Video output is recommended for this player.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2017, 23:43 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I'll mostly be using it on a Sony KD34XBR960 (I think it has a comb filter as well, not sure what's it name is) or a NEC MulitSync XM29 Plus, using for mostly gaming but does have composite & S-Video on it. I also will trying adding a 5-line 2D comb filter to help out.. if they will help as I thinking of ripping some rare LDs I have. (mostly Anime)

I'm sure it will kill my DVL-909 (Photo of how it looks, but needs to be 4:3)

Attachments:
File comment: DVL-909 Screen Shot
Ranma ½ - TV Titles (LaserDisc) Source.mkv_snapshot.jpg
Ranma ½ - TV Titles (LaserDisc) Source.mkv_snapshot.jpg [ 45.17 KiB | Viewed 4124 times ]

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017, 02:00 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

You need to do some adjusting on your TV and if there are any adjustments on the LD player.
That image is too boosted with brightness and looks like you have sharpness or something boosted all the way up too.

One of my players the CLD-D503 looks better than what you have posted, and your player is better than what I have.

Nobody will get magic when connecting an LD player to an improperly adjusted TV.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017, 04:55 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Well that's a rip right from my DVL-909's S-Video, do not know if anything was done as it was being rip, it can't be my TV as this it before it. Maybe my player is not doing so well.. or maybe the LaserDisc itself it not that great looking. (maybe the DNR setting on Y/C)

It does look batter on my TV then the photo, looked better then my older player as well.

Note ratio is off as it was rec as 720x480 but the video files play at 640x480.

Attachments:
Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki - Sound File (LaserDisc) Source.mkv.jpg
Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki - Sound File (LaserDisc) Source.mkv.jpg [ 73.58 KiB | Viewed 4106 times ]

Last edited by vash32 on 13 Sep 2017, 05:01, edited 1 time in total. _________________
LaserDisc was way before my time but I love it. LD and Blu-ray are the best formats, so far.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017, 04:57 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Must be that image or disc.
Second image is much better.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017, 05:08 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

The DNR setting do same to do something to the sharpness, but you pay for it as more see-able noise. However I don't think the DVL-909 is that great, looks good, plays good but may be overrated or underrated.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2017, 02:44 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Just got my new CLD-R7G today in the mail from Japan, needed to fix a little as the tray got hit but luckily it was a easy fix. Works great now & looks to kill my DVL-909 in PQ, also looks to be using a red laser lens but I may be wrong but the laser coming from it looks to be red & other players I've looked at.. you can't see the laser beam.
This LD has lots of noise on it own, the 3D combo fixed it up very nicely.

Last edited by vash32 on 19 Jan 2018, 02:39, edited 1 time in total. _________________
LaserDisc was way before my time but I love it. LD and Blu-ray are the best formats, so far.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2017, 04:45 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

While I did love my R7G one can only use it to its full extent using the S-video.

How do you have this connected?? Are you running your player into a TV or a computer, for some reason the image still doesn't look like it should,
looks very flat and colors aren't sharp and colorful, almost faded.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2017, 15:37 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Obviously one should never look directly into a laser lens. Glad to hear you're enjoying your new player vash32! I'm tempted to pick up a Japanese player myself but the shipping costs to the UK are somewhat prohibitive.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2017, 17:44 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

vash32 wrote:
I'll mostly be using it on a Sony KD34XBR960 (I think it has a comb filter as well, not sure what's it name is) or a NEC MulitSync XM29 Plus, using for mostly gaming but does have composite & S-Video on it. I also will trying adding a 5-line 2D comb filter to help out.. if they will help as I thinking of ripping some rare LDs I have. (mostly Anime)

I used an R7G on a Sony KD-36XS955, and it probably has the same hi-quality 3D comb filter as the KD-34XBR960. However, since the R7G's composite is recombined, noisy Y/C it won't look as good as the S-Video out from the R7G as its composite out on this monitor. I've tried, and the S-video was better by far.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2017, 18:07 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

elahrairrah wrote:
vash32 wrote:

I used an R7G on a Sony KD-36XS955, and it probably has the same hi-quality 3D comb filter as the KD-34XBR960. However, since the R7G's composite is recombined, noisy Y/C it won't look as good as the S-Video out from the R7G as its composite out on this monitor. I've tried, and the S-video was better by far.

Forget trying to use a different external comb filter with the R7G vash32 - you'll rarely find something better than the built in NEC and on top of that elahrairrah is totally right about the recombined composite out of the R7G being inferior to its s-video.

The H9 also seems to lose some detail via composite (good s-video thanks to the same comb filter). If the S9 sometimes gets some hate that's probably mostly because it suffers 'smear' quite badly; plus imo the Mitsubishi comb filter in it is crap, and then the composite out also still looks noticeably softer than the s-video. The X9 has the same crappy comb filter but thankfully it looks every bit as detailed via the composite out with a good comb filter as via s-video.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2017, 22:16 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

rein-o wrote:
While I did love my R7G one can only use it to its full extent using the S-video.

How do you have this connected?? Are you running your player into a TV or a computer, for some reason the image still doesn't look like it should,
looks very flat and colors aren't sharp and colorful, almost faded.

I've using the S-Video output on a hi-end S-Video cable.. not that it helping any.
Using on my TV does look great vs this little rip, however this is also an older LaserVision disc. What I'm using to rip the LaserDisc is a Japanese Sony PSX using the S-Video, most likely not the best way but same to work well for me.

Now the 3D combo does have sharp settings on it as well, they are only at like 3 out of 10, it just same to look best at 3 for this LaserDisc. The PSX looks to also be ripping video that's in the over scan part of the video, maybe lower the sharpest.

P.S. I never truly looked at the laser lens but same to be giving out a red laser, but I was thinking only the X0 & X9 used red?
Shipping for my Player was $128 in the end, I payed more for this player then my DVL-909 (I have 3, 1 fully working) but kills it in PQ to my eyes anyway. I hope to see how good a LD-S9 & X0 are one day.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2017, 01:08 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

CLD-1010 has a red laser

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2017, 01:53 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

krbahr wrote:
CLD-1010 has a red laser

Well maybe it not just in the HLD-X9 & X0 but maybe they have a higher end Red Laser Lens... not sure myself, just see lots of info saying things on how it laser lens helps get better PQ by having a red laser & can also read pass some laser rot.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2017, 03:23 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

vash32 wrote:
krbahr wrote:
CLD-1010 has a red laser

Well maybe it not just in the HLD-X9 & X0 but maybe they have a higher end Red Laser Lens... not sure myself, just see lots of info saying things on how it laser lens helps get better PQ by having a red laser & can also read pass some laser rot.

The red laser will still fail with bad laser rot. It's easier to align to reduce crosstalk noise but I can pretty much adjust a 704 or 99 to provide basically the same quality picture. The X9 does have the HQ mode which sharpens the picture further that is not on other players but the picture does look more digital doing that.

With all that said if you like the sharper digital look for an LD player the X9 is a very good unit, Is it worth a little improvement in tracking LD's? Only you can answer that, some say yes other say no. But remember a typical factory adjusted X9 will look better than a typical factory adjusted 704/99. I'm only referring to a properly adjusted 704/99 for peak performance verses a typical factory adjusted X9 having the same quality picture using a good LD.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2017, 17:18 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Well I know for sure the colors are greater on this player then my old one, just look for yourself.

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ]