It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:11

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pioneer CLD-2950: typical failures / restoration guides
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2018, 19:25 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Hi,

I'm about to buy a Pioneer CLD-2950 to play PAL / NTSC LDs of classical/jazz music (and also a few movies).
The one I'm about to buy works well but has a small issue: it sometimes (but not always) won't start unless it is turned OFF and ON.
As I restore vintage hifi stuff in my business I wanted to know whether this one needs specific restoration.
I have already restored some early Philips CD players which all need recaping, but having never restored a LD player I ask the question.
If there is an informative page about restoring this model I'll be interested to know.
Just in case, this one is being sold for about $250 with a batch of movies which I don't intent to keep, so I guess it will end up cheaper after reselling the titles I don't need.
Any restoration hint welcome :)

Thanks,

David

Post subject: Re: Pioneer CLD-2950: typical failures / restoration guides
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2018, 12:12 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Sounds like a diffuse symptom, but what follows might be the case. - If you are speaking of loading a disc, you might be experiencing an aged motor loading belt that is slipping from time to time. Turning it off and then on might do something with the movements so it can catch the disc for now and work well until the next time it happens. This will be progressive and you'll be finding yourself replacing the belt when the disc no longer clamps. Motor loading belt is talked about pretty frequently nowadays and is probably the number one of things to do first. Part number for it is VEB1184. Should fit the CLD-2950 as well as many others.
I don't think recapping the player is necessary, unless you have specific issues that might be related to the capacitors and electronics in general.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2018, 16:18 
True fan
True fan

Most probably the load belt, but can't be sure unless you try it, you could ask seller, does it make a "whine" when it stops working?

Last edited by sjoerg on 16 Jan 2018, 17:42, edited 1 time in total. _________________
-LD Collection

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2018, 17:16 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As a reference, the Service Manual is available here:

http://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Pioneer/CLD/CLD-2950/

Julien

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2018, 08:59 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Thanks for your answers.
I managed to catch another 2950 yesterday just a day after it was listed online.
Got it for 160 euros, so quite a nice price.
I tested it, it works excellently but the belt will need to be replaced. It does work well but happened to not load the disc once.
The picture is amazingly good, and indeed I played a movie which had rot at the end of Side 1. Picture staid amazingly stable, but had increasing noise. Sound deteriorated from hashed to almost impossible to hear. But that only concerned the last few minutes. Other sides clearly show dark spots around the edges but they don't seem to alter the recorded area.
In any case I''m very satisfied by this player.

Thanks for your hints with the belt and service manual. Sure enough I'll change the belt soon !

David

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]