It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:09

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: Purchase of a CLD-97 or CLD-959?
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2018, 02:34 
have a friend who owns both players.
he wants to sell one of them to me.

should I buy or not is the big Q!?

what do you guys think about these players.
do any of you guys still own one of the 2 players?
what's your verdict?
do you still recommend them?
they both came out in 1992 and 1993 which is a very long time now!

should I expect dried out caps and other functioning performance issues?
both units are clean in showroom condition functioning very well however age takes out it's toll and might cause component issues?

thanks krbahr for the valuable intel :thumbup:
it's a good thing not to worry about the M-holder on cld-97 and cld-959
where there any other issues for the above players to keep an eye on, components like dried caps, rubber belt issues or rubber clamping gasket causing clamp to slip?
stuff like wear n tear issues

did the above players have ghosting or smear/crosstalk like some other high end players?
what about turn off DNR from menu settings?
was this possible to run without DNR on both players?

krbahr, when you open up the guts inside different players, you have noticed that some players have bulging and swollen caps
did some players of certain model years affect from swollen caps?
maybe early 90's players had better component quality than newer models?

my friend who's a geek when it comes to electronics and know how. :thumbup: :thumbup:
he told me a story similar to a James Bond plot when a chinese engineer stole the formula of ingredients for manufacturing capacitators.
this engineer stole the formula from some japanese company sometimes in the early to mid 90's or so and fled to China with this valuable formula.
japanese companies making caps didn't have the final ingredient to manufacture caps in proper way, therefore these components had a very short life span.
I have never heard of this story before, have you heard about this industrial component scandal?

It would have been a great script for a Hollywood blockbuster movie, good guys vs bad guys!

Last edited by Guest on 28 Jan 2018, 15:53, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Purchase of a cld-97 or cld-959?
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2018, 04:37 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yep, some of the best players ever made. Buy for sure

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

Post subject: Re: Purchase of a CLD-97 or CLD-959?
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2018, 18:31 
both these players 97/959 do they have a 2D comb filter?
how does CLD-97/959 reproduce pic quality on playback with it's comb filter if it turns out to be lesser than the 3D filter on CLD-R7G?

is it possible to say pic. quality for both players CLD-97/959 vs CLD-R7G, would they all play in the same league when comparing picture and comb filter?
R7G is a newer player than CLD-97/959, Pioneer improved their technology for every year when a new mid to high end model was released.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2018, 19:31 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I've had a CLD-R7G and currently own a CLD-97. The 97 is the better player between the two. It has a much less noisy picture. The R7G has a much better comb filter with it being a 3D comb filter, but I've gotten better results feeding the 97 to a display with a good comb filter (the comb filter in my Sony WEGA KD-36XS955 is amazing and gives produces an amazing picture with the 97.)

The biggest downsides to the 97 are the slow side change and lack of factory RF out for Dolby Digital

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2018, 19:58 
elahrairrah wrote:
I've had a CLD-R7G and currently own a CLD-97. The 97 is the better player between the two. It has a much less noisy picture. The R7G has a much better comb filter with it being a 3D comb filter, but I've gotten better results feeding the 97 to a display with a good comb filter (the comb filter in my Sony WEGA KD-36XS955 is amazing and gives produces an amazing picture with the 97.)

The biggest downsides to the 97 are the slow side change and lack of factory RF out for Dolby Digital

when 97/959 was released there was no audio standard for DD and DTS?
can these players still play LD's in normal stereo sound if the disc has DTS or DD?

my friend is a few hours away from me, I can't just go over there to see the stuff.
I have to plan a visit.
therefore my Q's for the menu system on 97 and 959, do they share the same features doing personal tweaks for DNR and other adjustments?
my main concern is if it's possible to completely turn off the DNR reproducing picture au naturalle?

I could live with slow like a turtle side changes as long as it doesn't take 1 minute or more to swap to side B
is 97/959 slow like X9 or slower?

thanks

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2018, 02:02 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Every player made that has a digital output for the audio plays DTS. On the other hand DD needs an AC-3 RF output, that can be added to any player. It needs to be added to the 97 and 959.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2020, 00:46 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I'm hoping the 97 and 959 share the same tap points for the rf board?
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2020, 00:56 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

They should be the same as they’re basically the same thing except for cosmetics. I would think the CLD-95 would also share similarities w/ the 97

PostPosted: 03 May 2020, 13:12 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

ldfan wrote:
They should be the same as they’re basically the same thing except for cosmetics. I would think the CLD-95 would also share similarities w/ the 97

digging into this. I have found the tap points online for the 97 so only thing left to do ... is be patient and mod the 959 to rf output :clap:
I am not that keen on opening up the minty 959 tbh. but it looks easy enough to find the tap points on the top board.
throwing in a cld-d515 factory board for a clean mod. salvaged most rf outs coming from the 515 players. equiped my 2950players with the same boards. works like a charm. tricky part is cutting the hole and have the screw next to it alligned on the back of the player. templates and a steady hand are a must :crazy:
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 03 May 2020, 15:00 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Metal punch and drills work wonders too.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2020, 07:47 
Third post and above
Third post and above

But CLD-97 for sure, This is is too good

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2020, 22:30 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

kris wrote:

digging into this. I have found the tap points online for the 97 so only thing left to do ... is be patient and mod the 959 to rf output :clap:
I am not that keen on opening up the minty 959 tbh. but it looks easy enough to find the tap points on the top board.

I've been looking @ a mod for my CLD-97 for awhile now and I think I'll get around to it in maybe a year from now (still need to get my CLD-M90 and CLD-D703 modded first). Not sure where you found your points but there has been this nifty instructional on-line for awhile by "invenvio"

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Or4a ... VzRFk/view

It should be an easy mod to do and I would recommend a hole punch instead of a drill to make your hole for the RCA jack (I have done all my past mods w/ a hole punch and a reamer to enlarge the hole and it looks very clean). I'm not a big fan of where the AC3-RF board was located in this tutorial but I'll have to see for myself if there is an alternate location that would make for a cleaner job. Also, I am planning on installing an RF Demodulator board in my player but not sure if there will be enough space for it.

kris wrote:
throwing in a cld-d515 factory board for a clean mod. salvaged most rf outs coming from the 515 players. equiped my 2950players with the same boards. works like a charm. tricky part is cutting the hole and have the screw next to it alligned on the back of the player. templates and a steady hand are a must :crazy:

How did you extract just the RF section from the 515. I own a CLD-59 which is similar and the RF section is essentially integrated into the main board. Would you have pics I can check out?

Addendum....

Ok.. partially scratch that last comment. I guess there were two versions of the 515 of which one was PAL w/ no AC3-RF out (or maybe not) and Pioneer actually created a dedicated board to add the RF output on the other version. Still, I can't seem to find a pic of this board so wouldn't mind seeing you post a pic of it. Just curious. :?:

Last edited by ldfan on 17 Jun 2020, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 00:43 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Man, that was a lot of extremely specific questions from a guy who’s no longer registered just a few months later.

I hope nothing got permanently broken in shipping to satisfy someone’s brief whim.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 01:23 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
Man, that was a lot of extremely specific questions from a guy who’s no longer registered just a few months later.

Well.... I wasn’t asking “Guest”. The question was directed to “kris”.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2020, 01:46 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I wasn’t referring to you.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2020, 16:55 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

ldfan wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

Well.... I wasn’t asking “Guest”. The question was directed to “kris”.

Didn't mod the 959 yet. actually I am unsure about it...
It is one of those players you know... I have 0 spare parts for this machine if I would break anything....
I rarely use it. Keep it spinning with dts titles every now and then.
If I do mod it I'll make sure to take pics.
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ]